Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Bacon Grabbers (1929) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://www.lordheath.com/index.php?p=1_170_Bacon-Grabbers
http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/bacon.html
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019670/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OhHfAnZVwFU

Watch BACON GRABBERS in the link above (no soundtrack in this link, though one does appear on DVD)

BACON GRABBERS is a perfectly acceptable comedy by average standards and has some memorable bits.  For a Laurel and Hardy comedy, however, I feel like they have done better.  By the time BACON GRABBERS was made, they knew they were about to make the transition to sound, so the silent market was becoming less of a priority at this point.  Sure enough, we only have one more silent short to go after this, and several talkies were actually released before this short as a higher priority, even though BACON GRABBERS was filmed first.

I don't really have too much to say about this one.  The best stuff is the beginning and the end, while the middle plays off as enjoyable, but lacking any peaks.  The first few minutes are gold.  Stan and Ollie milk a simple task of taking a summons paper out of an office for all it's worth.  It's really quite awesome.  They find every combination of misplacing a hat, misplacing a paper, forgetting they are to find the address on the paper,  and leaving through the wrong door.  Then when they finally do get outside, they have trouble at first both being on the right side of the door and starting the car.  I am a big fan of taking simple situations and coming up with a quick variety of varied gags revolving around this situation.

Once they actually get to the house of Edgar Kennedy, this is where I think things slow down a bit.  The variety seems to be lacking here to deliver the paper, it just seems like one big chase to me.  Things don't really pick up for me until the end, when we get that wonderful sight gag of Ollie balancing a ladder with Stan on it on his stomach trying to get Stan through a window, and Edgar Kennedy is through the window thwarting Stan off with a feather duster.  The ending itself, has a nice twist which I won't give away, but the wife is again played by a young and pre fame Jean Harlow, about a week before her 18th birthday.

Nothing bad or offensive about this film, I just get the feeling they could have done better in parts.  One or two more memorable moments in the middle and I rate this higher.  A minor effort, but then again, Stan and Ollie, along with Hollywood in general, were about to make a major transition, and everyone involved in this film knew it.

7.5/10
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I agree with your assessment about the beginning and the end with Stan and Ollie milking the misplacement gag for all its worth.  Any time they're in a car, you know it's going to be awesome, and it was here.  They rear end a car, smash their radiator, and fix it by dropping a handkerchief in the radiator.

The middle section is slow and almost pathetic.  In short, Edgar Kennedy is so desperate to keep a RADIO, although still not a cheap investment in those days, by going so far as attempting to MURDER Stan and Ollie.  Not their best stuff for sure here, and we're about a third of the way through this.  The only good scene was the ladder bit, particularly Ollie's perseverance in spite of a dog attack, a misbalancing Stan, and a violent Edgar Kennedy.  Unfortunately, this about half, if not more, of the short, which heavily affects my rating of this film.

The ending was a perfect outcome, and it was nice to see them "win" for once.

7/10
#1 fire kibitzer

I like the silents ( I haven't seen them all ) with the exceptions of Two Tars and Big Business, which I love to the extent that they have made life worth living, but I'm really looking forward to the talkies.  I go back far enough ( here I go again talking about how old I am )  that I remember the L&H talkies being replaced on the TV station in Boston by the Three Stooges ( it was WNAC, if anyone cares ), at least in the early morning hours ( L&H got moved to mid-afternoon, IIRC ), so I was crazy about L&H before I ever saw the stooges.  This was all in the late fifties, so I was maybe six.  My point ( and I do have one ) is that they only ran the L&H talkies, never a silent, so that's where my affection lies.  Perfect Day and Men O'War are imprinted on my limbic system as deeply as Women Haters and In The Sweet Pie And Pie.
     In other words, I can hardly wait.

And oh, yes, Jean Harlow married to Edgar Kennedy, in Edgar's dreams.

Offline metaldams

And oh, yes, Jean Harlow married to Edgar Kennedy, in Edgar's dreams.

He's also married to Thelma Todd in two weeks.  Hi diddly dee, an actor's life for me!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I like the silents ( I haven't seen them all ) with the exceptions of Two Tars and Big Business, which I love to the extent that they have made life worth living, but I'm really looking forward to the talkies.  I go back far enough ( here I go again talking about how old I am )  that I remember the L&H talkies being replaced on the TV station in Boston by the Three Stooges ( it was WNAC, if anyone cares ), at least in the early morning hours ( L&H got moved to mid-afternoon, IIRC ), so I was crazy about L&H before I ever saw the stooges.  This was all in the late fifties, so I was maybe six.  My point ( and I do have one ) is that they only ran the L&H talkies, never a silent, so that's where my affection lies.  Perfect Day and Men O'War are imprinted on my limbic system as deeply as Women Haters and In The Sweet Pie And Pie.
     In other words, I can hardly wait.

I love having a person who can share such deep insights as a result of personal experience.  You provide the wisdom, and I provide the youth.  The rest of you are all... there... except our wonderful host metaldams!

He's also married to Thelma Todd in two weeks.  Hi diddly dee, an actor's life for me!

Whooee!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

There's only one Laurel and Hardy film that I have strong childhood memories of, and that would be BABES IN TOYLAND.  I watched it during the holidays every year at my grandmother's condo when I was a kid back in the 80's.  I want to say WPIX 11 out of New York was the channel (living in Connecticut at the time, I got New York and Boston channels).  Great movie, especially for kids, but not a great Laurel and Hardy film.  My biggest memories were more the toy soldiers marching off at the end and the beast dudes getting darts shot on their butts than any Stan and Ollie routine.  More poignant now since my grandmother died four years ago and ironically enough, was born in 1929, the era we're discussing.  Laurel and Hardy were actually in the middle of filming THE HOOSE-GOW when she was born.

I think I saw maybe a few Stan and Ollie films as a kid, but not very often.  The Three Stooges by far were on TV more often.  Laurel and Hardy was something I rekindled with thanks to the Internet when I was in my twenties, and I had to have the help of friends in getting their films.  Until a few years ago, thanks to Hallmark, their films were hard to find in the U.S.  That DVD set coming out was really a huge event.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I love having a person who can share such deep insights as a result of personal experience.  You provide the wisdom, and I provide the youth.  The rest of you are all... there... except our wonderful host metaldams!

Whooee!

I'm hoping a few more people will join in once the talkies start since those are more available.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
There's only one Laurel and Hardy film that I have strong childhood memories of, and that would be BABES IN TOYLAND.  I watched it during the holidays every year at my grandmother's condo when I was a kid back in the 80's.  I want to say WPIX 11 out of New York was the channel (living in Connecticut at the time, I got New York and Boston channels).  Great movie, especially for kids, but not a great Laurel and Hardy film.  My biggest memories were more the toy soldiers marching off at the end and the beast dudes getting darts shot on their butts than any Stan and Ollie routine.  More poignant now since my grandmother died four years ago and ironically enough, was born in 1929, the era we're discussing.  Laurel and Hardy were actually in the middle of filming THE HOOSE-GOW when she was born.

I think I saw maybe a few Stan and Ollie films as a kid, but not very often.  The Three Stooges by far were on TV more often.  Laurel and Hardy was something I rekindled with thanks to the Internet when I was in my twenties, and I had to have the help of friends in getting their films.  Until a few years ago, thanks to Hallmark, their films were hard to find in the U.S.  That DVD set coming out was really a huge event.

Even as young one, it was only the Stooges, Mister Ed, and I Love Lucy.  Any others my parents watched were off limits.  As I got older they introduced me to others, but not any other short aubjects.

Christmas = 24 Hours of A CHRISTMAS STORY.
#1 fire kibitzer

Oddly enough, I have seen maybe thirty seconds of Babes In Toyland.  I'm really glad that it was a tradition around the NYC area, but I was never a part of it.

And, Paul Pain, don't give me too much credit.  I'm old, not wise.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
And, Paul Pain, don't give me too much credit.  I'm old, not wise.

But you bring valuable experience to the table that helps young folks like me to appreciate these shorts even more than we already do.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Hey guys, just for fun, the screen wives of Edgar Kennedy!  Both gorgeous and gone way too soon.  Enjoy.  Oh, and seriously, born in 1911, you gotta wonder what a younger Christine McIntyre would have been like in an early talkie Laurel and Hardy.

Thelma Todd

Jean Harlow
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
This one was, in fact, the last L&H appearance for Jean Harlow.

By looks and based on FROM SOUP TO NUTS, would you agree Anita Garvin is like the L&H version of Symona?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

This one was, in fact, the last L&H appearance for Jean Harlow.

By looks and based on FROM SOUP TO NUTS, would you agree Anita Garvin is like the L&H version of Symona?

You know, I can kind of see a late 20's/early 30's version of Anita Garvin passing as the daughter of an early 40's Symona.  Never thought of that before.

But to answer your question, the age difference makes me say no.  Anita with Laurel and Hardy was young while Symona with the Stooges was middle aged, so it was a different vibe. 

Here's Symona when she was younger in her early thirties.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
You know, I can kind of see a late 20's/early 30's version of Anita Garvin passing as the daughter of an early 40's Symona.  Never thought of that before.

But to answer your question, the age difference makes me say no.  Anita with Laurel and Hardy was young while Symona with the Stooges was middle aged, so it was a different vibe. 

Here's Symona when she was younger in her early thirties.

I was thinking more because of the similarities in appearance and style.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I was thinking more because of the similarities in appearance and style.

I could see physical similarities for sure, hence the mother/daughter comparison.  You made a good observation I never thought of before.

The age difference definitely makes a difference in the kind of roles they can play, though.  In FROM SOUP TO NUTS, Anita Garvin tries to be a society woman but fails miserably, which is perfect for a woman in her early twenties.  Symona Boniface, when she plays such roles, actually pulls it of, being in her 40's and 50's.  The age really makes a difference.

Laurel and Hardy really don't have a Symona Boniface type I can think of, minus the previously mentioned physical similarities with Anita Garvin.  The Marx Brothers, on the other hand, have Margaret Dumont, a more ham fisted version of Symona Boniface. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
The way Hal Roach works with some of these, I am surprised that this didn't end with Stan and Ollie driving off laughing and into a mud puddle in front of Edgar Kennedy, who in turn gets the last laugh.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Well, I’m going to have to disagree on this short, because I really liked it. Strangely, my problem with this short is the beginning. Not that it’s awful, but the stuff with Laurel, Hardy, and the paper in the office just comes across as kind of slow and tedious to me. The bit with the car is funny enough, even if it’s not as good as in PERFECT DAY.

When it gets to Edgar Kennedy’s house, I actually found it to be very funny. There’s a lot of energy from the three as Laurel and Hardy attempt to give Kennedy the paper and Kennedy attempts to escape. One thing I love is when they try to use the supposedly tough dog to their advantage, only for the dog to run away from a fake. It ends in a pretty funny line from Hardy.

Even after they give Kennedy the paper, though, they still have to get the radio from him. They steal a ladder from someone, resulting in him falling off the building he’s working on, and Laurel and Hardy have their own struggles with the ladder, which I really like. It’s done for just the right amount of time so that it doesn’t get stale. By this point, Kennedy has gone insane and tries to shoot Laurel and Hardy, building up the intensity. Then, of course, there’s the ending. The radio and the car both getting destroyed make for some funny final sight gags, and Laurel, Hardy, and Kennedy’s reactions also help.

It’s not a perfect short, but I still really enjoyed it.

9 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"Bacon Grabbers" remains an enjoyable two-reeler that gets extra mileage from the presence of slow-burning Edgar Kennedy and a young Jean Harlow. Making the most out of already-familiar material, Laurel and Hardy deliver some truly hilarious moments. By the time "Bacon Grabbers" was released in October 1929, The Boys already had five talkies under their belt — thereby bidding a reluctant adieu to the art of silent comedy.

8/10

Offline HomokHarcos

The idea of Stan and Ollie playing repo men is very funny to me, and that is why I like this short. Stan and Ollie are sleeping on the job in the office until their boss orders them to repossess a radio. The whole part at Edgar Kennedy's home is the highlight for me. This is one reason I tend to prefer the classic film comedy shorts ahead of the TV sitcoms; there is a lot more room for physical comedy and location shooting, and so an outdoor home area would not be used. Stan and Ollie laughing together is great.

Offline NoahYoung

I've always found this to be an underrated and neglected short. Quickly skimming the above, I see some are not that fond of it.

The reason I say "neglected" is because no clips of it were included in the Youngson compilations. Very brief clips were in THE CRAZY WORLD OF LAUREL AND HARDY, which I've never seen, but it wasn't a Youngson.

As a kid, those Youngson compilations, 2 of which were focused primarily on L&H, were my main exposure to their silent films. I did have 2 of their silent shorts in 8mm, though.

I find most of their silents made after SUGAR DADDIES (SD) and released by M-G-M at least very good and very satisfying. (Some were made before SD, but released by Pathe after the boys' films started to be released by M-G-M.)

To me the only "weakness" is that some scenes too closely resemble the "feel" of BIG BUSINESS, with Edgar Kennedy replacing James Finlayson. (L&H annoying a home-owner.)

It was their penultimate silent film, but was actually released after THEY GO BOOM, a talkie, a mere 9 days before the stock market crash in 1929! Based on the plot, one might think that it was inspired by what I'm sure would have been common occurrences during the Depression -- but obviously it was not. I'm not sure how funny audiences found this film after the crash. Frankly, I'm not sure how well received any of their silents released after the talkies were. People were craving talkies, though in fairness, this was originally released with music and sound effects on disc. Some versions on youtube include the original soundtrack.

So I think this is one of their best silents, though it does fall short of being considered one of their classics, mainly due to the competition of the likes of BIG BUSINESS and TWO TARS. (I've actually soured a bit recently with LIBERTY, mainly because I think the antics on the skyscraper go on for far too long, but that may simply be because I've seen it dozens of times.)

Regarding Jean Harlow -- I've never found her face to be very pretty. Now the rest of her is a different matter altogether.

I love Thelma Todd from head to toe!

Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz