Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Lack of Subtitles or Closed Captioning with many old Classics!

Offline Samuelc79

I must vent out.  I'm quite disappointed with many old Classic movies that do not have either Subtitles or Closed Captioning.  Many who are deaf and hard of hearing feel left out to learn the classics, and many times need to inquire or just move on and hope for a better release including them.  I love many of Sony releases of Three Stooges and they have subtitles or closed captioning.  I am pleased with those.  But there are too many disappointments, like Laurel and Hardy Essential Collection which I wanted to buy, was told there is nothing like that except for the foreign audio, converting to English subtitles.  We wished to have more equal access like many of you already enjoy.  I've always submitted a desire for their films to be subtitled, but due not seeing if it's worth the profit, they will not release this.  I'm speaking of Madacy, or Shout Factory releases, and others like these.  Even those who are released from WB Archive, direct from film to DVD and not a normal release or cycle as well.  Please encourage more releases in subtitles or close captioning.  This will not only benefit the deaf or hard of hearing, but this also provides people the ability to read without audio or in a low voice. 
Thanks,
Samuel
The Stooges are the best thing that happened to me.

Offline Operator15

• One for all and all for me!
  • Grapehead
Let me make sure I'm understanding you here...You're saying the Laurel and Hardy Essential Collection only has English subtitles when using a foreign audio track?

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead
Let me make sure I'm understanding you here...You're saying the Laurel and Hardy Essential Collection only has English subtitles when using a foreign audio track?
Posts are rather old, but since I have the set I'll chime in.  I think he's saying the only subtitles he's aware of on the release are on the re-filmed foreign language versions of the shorts, since Laurel and Hardy refilmed a good few of their films in different languages for foreign release.  It was kind of a thing at the time before the more cost effective (and less time consuming) art of dubbing became commonplace.  The Essential set features most of these shorts included in addition to their English versions.

As to whether or not the other shorts have subtitles, honestly I never checked.  Next time I have the set handy I can check.

Offline Tony Bensley

I have the excellent LAUREL & HARDY: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION, which unfortunately, has no English subtitles or captioning on the English Language titles, only English subtitles on the Foreign Language Films.

The opposite is true of the 2004 UK PAL Region 2 Release of the Laurel & Hardy 21 DVD Universal Collection; in which the English Language Films are subtitled.  This is available on US and UK Amazon, and for those who need the subtitles, might be another option worth considering.

CHEERS!  :)

Offline gzangrossi

Hi, I'm a Brazilian fan of the Three Stooges and I'm trying to insert the Portuguese-Brazilian (PT-BR) audio over the films of the original box with the 190 shorts that I bought, but I'd like to insert PT-BR subtitles too. The problem is that I cannot find subtitles in any language to do this process. Is there anybody that have or knows where I can find the subtitles of the 190 shorts in any language to help me? Thank you.

Offline Tony Bensley

Hi, I'm a Brazilian fan of the Three Stooges and I'm trying to insert the Portuguese-Brazilian (PT-BR) audio over the films of the original box with the 190 shorts that I bought, but I'd like to insert PT-BR subtitles too. The problem is that I cannot find subtitles in any language to do this process. Is there anybody that have or knows where I can find the subtitles of the 190 shorts in any language to help me? Thank you.
First off, Welcome to the Forum, gzangrossi!

What you're attempting is way beyond my scope, but are you not able to reference the English Closed Captioning that's included in THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION Sony DVD sets for your purpose?

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Tony