Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooge Short Openings (1934-1935) Borrowed Music

Offline IchabodSlipp

There is this local station that broadcasts classic Columbia movies (GETTV). The ones from the early to mid 1930s certainly have a lot of music cues that were reused in Stooges shorts from the mid 1930s. I have noticed that the title music for the first eight shorts do not use an original Stooge theme and I wonder which movies the early stooge shorts (before Pardon My Scotch) borrowed theme music from. I will make a list.

Woman Haters (1934) -
Punch Drunks (1934) -
Men In Black (1934) -
Three Little Pigskins (1934) - borrows title music from The Most Precious Thing In Life (1934)
Horses' Collars (1935) -
Restless Knights (1935) -
Pop Goes The Easel (1935) - borrows incidental music (Pop Goes The Weasel) from Punch Drunks (1934), perhaps it was a prototype Stooge theme?
Uncivil Warriors (1935) -

Would be interested to know where these title themes are sourced from, especially with Horses' Collars (1935), sounds to me something that belongs in a Buck Jones or Tim Mccoy movie.

Offline metaldams

Where the heck is Rich Finegan these days?  He's the expert of Stooge film music and he's missed.

I have no idea any of these musical sources, but I would not be shocked at all if these early themes are simply stock things Columbia had lying around.  They barely broke through with IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT when The Three Stooges started and were barely rising above poverty row at this point in time.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
From both entries for PUNCH DRUNKS and MEN IN BLACK:
Opening title music is "I Thought I Wanted You," by Archie Gottler and Edward Eliscu; see The Three Stooges Journal # 87 (Fall 1998).

Also: http://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,778.msg36206.html#msg36206

I've said this before, but I really dig that tune.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline IchabodSlipp

Thank you for that, GreenCanaries, I wonder what movies "I Thought I Wanted You" was used in.

Offline Mark The Shark

I find it interesting that the closing end title music used in Horses' Collars was also used in many Charley Chase Columbia shorts.

Offline Curly Van Dyke

In Loco Boy meets Good,Columbia lifts some Swing Music from Skinay Ennis' Band in "Blondie meets the Boss".
One of the tunes,"Rockin' the Town" even wound up in a Jukebox in "The Werewolf" (1956).