Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Russian Stooges??

Offline Signor Spumoni

I came across these two Soviet-made comedy shorts and thought my fellow Moronikans might enjoy them.  There is no dialogue.  English subtitles are not needed, but if you want them, you can turn them on by clicking on "annotations."  These aren't really Russian Stooges, but they are a comedy trio in the manner of classic slapstick comedians. 

The three men are known, in order of appearance in "The Forest's Watchdog," as:  The Crafty One, The Bonehead and The Coward.  There is a fourth star, a dog.  You will see some familiar gags which made me wonder if the film makers knew Western classic comedy movies.

There is a third comedy, and that one has dialogue.  I've not seen it yet, but the premise is promising - - the trio become accidental kidnappers, thinking they are participating in an ancient ritual.

I wish these Soviet Stooges had made more movies.  I really don't know anything about them aside from the fact that The Bonehead was a popular comedic actor.  If anyone knows more, please tell.

"The Forest's Watchdog," about ten minutes long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVyq5CYfDv0

"The Moonshiners," about nineteen minutes long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zPrMEISPPM

Offline metaldams

Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.  My impression is the films are interesting, but the comedians themselves didn't lend much character, as the gags could've been done by anybody who can mug in front of the camera.  Still, good stuff!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.  My impression is the films are interesting, but the comedians themselves didn't lend much character, as the gags could've been done by anybody who can mug in front of the camera.  Still, good stuff!

Good observation on the characters without character.  :)  I hadn't noticed that.  I found myself thinking what else the trio could have done with more Stooge-like scripts.  But that proves your point because the Stooges had individual characters.

I am still astonished by seeing comedies made in the USSR, and during the Krushchev years.  I had no idea there was a cinema industry aside from straight propaganda films.   

Offline metaldams

Good observation on the characters without character.  :)  I hadn't noticed that.  I found myself thinking what else the trio could have done with more Stooge-like scripts.  But that proves your point because the Stooges had individual characters.

I am still astonished by seeing comedies made in the USSR, and during the Krushchev years.  I had no idea there was a cinema industry aside from straight propaganda films.

I'm not shocked at all.  My understanding is comedy films were made in Nazi Germany as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

I'm not shocked at all.  My understanding is comedy films were made in Nazi Germany as well.

I can believe that comedies were made there.  But I imagine they were symptomatic of the sickness then in grip of the country.  In my limited observation of music and entertainment in Germany, there was a growing dissonance and decadence apparent from about the late 1920s onward, matching the rise of the Nazis.  I don't know that I would like to view comedies made during those years.