Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Brideless Groom (1947)

metaldams · 48 · 22703

Offline Lefty

The phone booth scene, with that "unidentified fat woman in hallway" seeing Shemp and slapping Larry, well, to that I say, "Don't be so particular, Roseanne!" 

Today would have been the 95th birthday of Big Bertha Priestley (Beastly?), the Roseanne lookalike.  According to imdb.com, this was her 12th of 13th roles (large roles -- or rolls -- at that).  RIP, BP.

Today would have been the 95th birthday of Big Bertha Priestley (Beastly?), the Roseanne lookalike.  According to imdb.com, this was her 12th of 13th roles (large roles -- or rolls -- at that).  RIP, BP.
Hmm, I never thought she looked like Roseanne, or was all that heavy (like some other Stooge actresses, anyway). I always thought she was just meant to look different and random.

At any rate, I notice that she was "unidentified" on the site until very recently. How did that change?
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Lefty

Hmm, I never thought she looked like Roseanne, or was all that heavy (like some other Stooge actresses, anyway). I always thought she was just meant to look different and random.

At any rate, I notice that she was "unidentified" on the site until very recently. How did that change?

1.  Roseanne is the first person I think of when I see Big Bertha.  Maybe that hat brought to mind Roseanne's hairstyle.  And neither one would ever be confused with Twiggy.

2.  Maybe a relative of hers provided the information?

Offline MrsMorganMorgan

• Applehead
  • I used to do toe work until I broke both ankles
I understand this short, due to its public domain status, was shown on a local Boston station every Saturday for 18 years. If I had lived in Boston I would have saddled up at the TV every weekend for this. Yes, perfection of the highest degree. Moe smashing Shemp's face into the piano wires. Larry visibly dropping the ring that Shemp then finds. "Wait wait wait wait wait wait....we ain't getting no place fast. GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!" "How ya  doing in there?" {{punch punch}} "Listen to those kisses...." then Moe smacks Larry when the busboy sees them kissing. No one has ever looked so good in black satin as our goddess of the Stooges. But yes, it's a little creepy that she's so all over her cousin....who she's meeting at a hotel, mind you. My favorite part of her ass-kicking of Shemp is she almost seems to lose her mojo and then ramps back up with, "Don't you dare strike me!" She is the awesomest. And I must say, if Shemp asked me to marry him while wearing that awesome three-piece with tails I'd say yes!!

The wedding scene....that mean one, you know, "Okay Toots let 'er rip!!" That one. ANY day of the week I would wear that dress she's wearing; yes, even the belt. Even the hat, and I don't have good hat hair. But it's the shoes; the black shoes with the high ankle strap that I would completely die for. Every time we get to the ankle-kicking melee I go crazy for those shoes. I am not fond of any other outfits; most are pretty ugly.

Okay; and the end....does anyone else flash on the redone cut-in of Moe saying Uncle Caleb didn't die and Shemp didn't inherit any money....ugh. Sometimes Columbia really sucked.
You hear that? The old lady's a crook. Let's give her the razzle-dazzle!

if Shemp asked me to marry him while wearing that awesome three-piece with tails I'd say yes!!
"When Shemp pours on the charm, no dame can resist him!"
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline titmouse

• Porcupine
  • SHEMP FOR PRESIDENT IN 2020
I love Dee Green and all her facial contortions in her scenes. dimples etc.
"hey somebodys roasting a ham"

Offline vomit

I always thought Moe swore in this one....does he not say, "Get the f*** off me!" at the 5:15 mark?

In any event, this one is one of THE best if not THE BEST.  Of all Stooge shorts, bar none.  This and Malice in the Palace are the high points for me.
Specto Caelum!

Offline Lefty

I always thought Moe swore in this one....does he not say, "Get the f*** off me!" at the 5:15 mark?

It sure does sound like Moe said that!

Offline metaldams

Offline JWF

In any event, this one is one of THE best if not THE BEST.  Of all Stooge shorts, bar none.  This and Malice in the Palace are the high points for me.

I think he's saying "get this book of me.." as the phone book lands on his head.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yeah, I always heard it as Moe saying "Get the book off of me here."
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline joe strubachincoskow

Getting in late on this one, but here goes..
Never cared for it ( too much) in my earlier days, but now I agree with many here of it hitting on all cylinders. I guess I was just too young to appreciate things like:
1. Shemp's hilarious mugging during Dee's singing.
2. Shemp's hilarious reaction to Dee's face after one of the gold-diggers says "Who is this character?"
3. Shemp - "Moe! I'm blind! You boined my eye out"
4. Cringing while Shemp gives himself a straight shave.
5. Larry - "Boy his kisses are getting louder."

These along with many others already posted here.
10/10 for me.
- How do you like that? I'm dancin' from a trombone part!

Offline Dr. Mabuse

The high-water mark of the Shemp era — expertly directed by Edward Bernds.

"Brideless Groom" is tailor-made for Shemp in such a distinctive manner that I could never envision Curly in the role. Emil Sitka's "Hold hands, you lovebirds!" achieved a different cinematic immortality in director Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction."

10/10

http://www.emilsitka.com/pulpfiction1994.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 05:17:39 PM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline hiramhorwitz

Emil Sitka's "Hold hands, you lovebirds!" achieved a different cinematic immortality in director Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" (1994). 
Doctor SR Mabuse, you are so right about the cinematic immortality of "Hold hands, you lovebirds!" in "Pulp Fiction."  But you probably know that Sitka found those words immortal long before "Pulp Fiction" and routinely repeated them, in character, to fans calling him on the telephone.  Here's a brief audio clip demonstrating Sitka's love of those words, as well as his typical playfulness, from one of my telephone calls to Sitka in the 1980s.  Enjoy!

I restored this frame by frame, colorized and upscaled it to 1080 HD

I welcome your comments

Offline metaldams

I restored this frame by frame, colorized and upscaled it to 1080 HD

I welcome your comments

You even got the five o clock shadow on their faces.  Speaking of shadow, I really notice the shadows in the film itself from your colorization.  Nice job.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Samurai

A mini review and a mini biography all in one.

This film is likely my favorite of the Shempisodes, but absolutely my favorite for Shemp moments. Reactions to Miss Dee's 'singing' is enough for a memorable episode. But no, there's also the phone booth with F-bomb Moe, horrific self-inflicted shaving and getting pummeled by flyweight champ Christine (among others). It may tail off at the end (ever-so-slightly), but it truly is a gem.

The mini bio part includes myself and Dee Green. We were both born in Rockford IL. (My immediate family lived near O'hare, but my mom grew up in Rockford, and my Grandparents always lived there...so she had me at the only hospital she knew/trusted). 
Dee's final resting spot is about 1/2 a mile from my parents and maternal grandparents final resting spot (as well as the home of a very much alive Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick). [cool]
Someday (hopefully not too soon), I will also wind up there. Dee's last teaching job was at the High School my mother had graduated from. Unbeknownst to either of us, our paths must have crossed at some point.

One final trivia tidbit...when Dee was starting Jr. High School, a younger girl who lived a couple streets away was beginning grade school. That girl would wind up being famous for her portrayal of Della Street on 'Perry Mason'...Barbara Hale.

Offline metaldams

I’ve heard Dee is from Rockford and yes, the first thing I thought was Cheap Trick.  Cool you’re from the same area.

I’m going to have to peel my ears for that Moe f-bomb in the booth next time.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

….and Dee was a music teacher.  After watching this short, oh the irony.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Samurai

….and Dee was a music teacher.  After watching this short, oh the irony.
Even more ironic, she spent some time singing with a NYC opera company...likely in a production involving earthquakes (or possibly Pompeii)  :P

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
For the first time since my review, I watched BRIDELESS GROOM and must say I was too harsh on it the first time.  Yes, I'm still not a fan of the big cat fight at the end, but I better appreciate how it fits in with the plot and the Three Stooges.  I bump my rating to 9/10 for this one.

OK, I watched it because I wanted to hear Moe drop an F-bomb.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Classic Shemp and probably the one even non-Shemp fans know the best.  I rank it #4 (Shemp) and #32 overall.