Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

An Important Qustion About SOUP TO NUTS. . .

Offline Hammond Eggar

I am interested in obtaining information regarding the big-screen history of "Soup to Nuts."  I know it was screened in theaters in 1930, the year of it's original release.  I saw a screening of it at the 1991 Three Stooges Convention in PA.  I would like to know when and where it has been screened theatrically since 1930.  Does anyone know?  I would assume that it has seen little-to-no theatrical screenings in this part of the country (South Texas) since 1930.  Am I wrong?  What is the big-screen history of "Soup to Nuts"?  Thank you for the help.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I thought I might be able to find a little info for you on Internet Movie Database, but they only have the 9/28/1930 US release date listed.  Maybe Gary, Brent or one of the others might be able to help.

Jimmie Adams

What I find interesting about this film is that there is little or no sound mixing at all on the soundtrack.  I have seen a Fox Clark & McCullough sound film made two years before this and it had decent sound mixing.

Offline garystooge

Here’s everything I know.

First off, I don’t think “Soup to Nuts” was ever officially re-released to theaters following its original 1930 release.  I base this on the fact that I’ve never seen any posters, pressbooks or other publicity items from a re-release of the film in my 25 years of collecting. That doesn’t mean it was never re-released, but I haven’t seen any evidence of it.

When I took over the fan club in 1986, “Soup to Nuts” was presumed to be a “lost” film.  No Stooges fans had ever seen it and no one could locate it in any form. In the late 1980’s, the club undertook a concerted effort to try and locate the film. Through a tip from film critic and club member Leonard Maltin, we discovered that the UCLA Film & TV Archive actually had a print of the film. The UCLA archive is a huge depository of films, kinescopes,etc, second only to the Library of Congress in Washington.

In 1990, we made contact with Eddie Richmond, the curator at UCLA who told us that Fox had given UCLA the only remaining print of the film some time in the late 1960s. This was a nitrate print, which was the type of film stock used by the motion picture industry until the 1950s. Unfortunately, nitrate film is highly volatile and over time eventually turns to dust. Proper storage techniques can prolong the life of nitrate film, but eventually it will disintetgrate, even when properly stored

Anyway, Eddie told us that the nitrate film had actually been screened in UCLA’s own theater once or twice during the early 1970’s. However the film was beginning to deteriorate, so in 1977 the Archive wisely made a preservation negative (on modern acetate stock) from the nitrate print.  By the time we got in touch with Eddie in 1990, the nitrate print was completely shot.  All that was left was the preservation negative, Unfortunately, adequate funding did not exist to make a positive print from the negative, so essentially the film was still “lost”.

At this point, I submitted a proposal to executives at Fox (who still owned the legal rights to the film): I would pick up the cost of making a positive print and in return, the fan club would get the exclusive right to screen the print at our annual conventions.

The proposal was accepted, the print was made, and in 1991 we showed the film at our convention. This may have been the first truly public showing of the film since the 1930s, but again we don’t know for sure. We’ve screened it at several conventions since then. But more importantly, the existence of this print has enabled fans around the world to finally view the film, as it was shown on AMC (without the exit music) and probably also used to make the recently released DVD.

So that’s the soup to nuts on “Soup to Nuts”.
Gary

Pilsner Panther

A fascinating saga, Gary. I didn't even know until recently that a DVD has come out, so now I've ordered it and I'm finally going to see the film. The reviews on IMDB are almost completely negative, and it seems that a lot of people who've seen it don't like Ted Healy very much. My take on Ted is that he was a stage-trained actor who was slow to adapt to film; in those early shorts with the Stooges, he tends to "play to the back row" like he would in a vaudeville house, so he can seem kind of exaggerated and stiff. The best of the lot is "Beer and Pretzels," I'd say.

Since I'm also a fan of the cartoonists of the period, I'm interested to see how Rube Goldberg's visual ideas translate to the screen. His drawings would have been perfect for adaptation to animated cartoons rather than live action, and it's strange that he never did get invloved with an animation studio, like his contemporaries Segar, Soglow, and Herriman did.

Maybe "Soup to Nuts" is a forgotten masterpiece... who knows, but I'll soon find out.

Jimmie Adams

It has always been my theory that Curly affected the "dainty" part of his personna from Fred Sanborn.  IIRC Healy wanted a "dainty" Stooge to fill out the dynamic of his trio.
Sanborn is just a bit over the top in this film IMHO.  He literally is the running gag.  However, I found his bit at the xylophone utterly fascinating and wish he could have had more time on screen with it.

Offline Kirk Robbin

You know, I am very fond of Soup to Nuts and have made it an annual tradition for New Year's Day to watch it (for obvious significance of firsts). I even enlisted Pilsner for the lyrics to "One Pair Of Pants At A Time." I was hoping that my tradition could now be continued digitally for many years to come. But alas, COLORIZED!!!!!!!!!! &^%*&$&$#!!!!! How dare they? Fox could have at least made it optional like Columbia did for theirs (though I am no more a fan of that line). This is the only version on DVD, and it has been muddled with pastels. All I would ask is a B&W option on the disc. (And if there is an option that I neglected to see, consider my foot automatically mouthed.)
Kirk Robbin

"Hey Moe! I`m not me!"
"That`s fine grammar for ya, I`m not me!" -(Three Missing Links, 1938)

Offline Hammond Eggar

Hey, Kirk!  I have great news for you!  Despite what the packaging for the DVD says, it is actually NOT in color.  I had the same reaction as you when I first heard the news.  Some of the posters here set me staright, though.  It is, indeed, in black-and-white.  I proudly own a copy and highly recommend that you get yourself one, as well.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Honey Bear

I found the film to be funny and quite charming.

Thanks Gary, for that information and especially for your part in preserving a sacred piece of Stooge history.

I'm so glad that the DVD has the movie is in its B&W glory. I almost gagged when I thought the movie was colorized in nasty pastel colors. 

Please forgive my ignorance but ... I was wondering if anybody knows of the location of the filming. Was it filmed in Hollywood? There was the mention of Coney Island, so was the story supposed to take place in NYC? There seemed to be elevated trains but maybe it was a set piece? It's mesmerizing to observe such an early 20th century city. If those were real streets and buildings, I guess they don't exist anymore? Or at least all that's left are remnants?
The future ain't what it used to be. -- Yogi Berra (1925 - )

Offline healystooge

Three Cheers to UCLA, The 3 Stooges Fan Club and Gary for saving Soup To Nuts from disintegrating into dust.  Thanks to 20th Century Fox for finally releasing it on DVD.  To answer Honey Bear, the location shots from Soup To Nuts were filmed 75 years ago in downtown Los Angeles' Little Tokyo district.  I recently found an amazing virtual tour of the location scenes at stoogebook.com in the scrapbook section under Stooge_Locations.  A young Japanese Stooge fan from Los Angeles discovered the first location scenes ever filmed by Ted Healy and the Stooges.

Offline Honey Bear

Thank you so much, healystooge for that info.

After that mention about Coney Island in the film (Soup to Nuts); I was thinking good luck with driving that fire truck all the way to Coney Island.  ;)

Offline FineBari3

There is a picture I have seen of the Stooges and their onscreen 'wives' from Soup to Nuts. They are sitting on some steps. I mention this picture because Shemp is in the front with his 'wife', and his hand is right on her ass!

Anybody else seen this pic? (it is in a few Stooge books that I cant remember)
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Honey Bear

There is a picture I have seen of the Stooges and their onscreen 'wives' from Soup to Nuts. They are sitting on some steps. I mention this picture because Shemp is in the front with his 'wife', and his hand is right on her ass!

Anybody else seen this pic? (it is in a few Stooge books that I cant remember)

I think the photo you're referring to is one of the colorized pictures on the back of the Soup to Nuts DVD from 20th Century Fox. Although, the photo is so small that it's hard to see where one of Shemp's hands is resting. ;)