The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Battle of the Century (1927) - Laurel and Hardy

metaldams · 63 · 17967

Offline metaldams

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017664/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
http://www.lordheath.com/index.php?p=1_156_The-Battle-Of-The-Century
http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/battle.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SkN7sptS5m4

What an unfulfilling experience reviewing this one is.  Only half of this film still exists, so there's really only two scenes to discuss, and as such I won't even rate this.  For years, the famous pie fight scene towards the end was the only thing that existed, in edited form, because of a Robert Youngson compilation film. The pie footage was included in. The first reel, which involves the boxing match, was not discovered until 1979.

The pie fight may be more famous, but the opening boxing sequence is quite funny.  As far as character development goes, this scene is the more satisfying, as the pie fight is pure comic destruction.  Stan Laurel does absolutely nothing here, and it works brilliantly.  He's in a situation where his opponent is much bigger and more menacing than he is, but there is a part where his oponnent's glove needs to be adjusted, giving Stan more than enough time to clobber his way to victory.  However, Stan is so used to losing, he has no idea what to do, so he just wanders around aimlessly as poor Ollie is in the corner urging Stan to use his left.  Then Stan sticks his arm out, his opponent, glove now adjusted, charges Stan and runs into the outstretched arm, being completely knocked out.  Stan is too stupid to go into a neutral corner for the ref to count, his opponent gets saved by the bell and eventually knocks Stan out.  Again, Stan basically does very little in this scene, but the results are hilarious.  When people say Stan Laurel's character had some Harry Langdon influence, this is the kind of scene they were talking about.  The idea of doing nothing when a situation calls for something.  Minimalist comedy at its best.

The pie fight is anything but minimalist.  It's basically just an excuse to make a gooey mess out of a bunch of people and a city street, and it is a pleasure for the eyes.  My favorite bit is a subtler piece.  There's a mailman you expect to get a pie in the kisser.  Instead the pie lands in the mail he's about to deliver, unbeknownst to him, and he ends up picking up the messy mail.  Other funny bits are the homely man in the barber's chair, the flapper girl slipping on the pie and having it land on her backside underneath her skirt, and any long shot of the city street.  OK, I like the mayor getting hit as well.

Really, what exists from this thing is very funny, but it feels like an incomplete viewing experience because well...it is!

N/A / 10

PS:  Anybody care to take a guess who the extra is below pictured in the crowd during the boxing match?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Before I start my review, Metaldams, you mentioned the Robert Youngson compilation film. One funny story 'bout that: Robert found the full copy of the movie, but only picked out the pie fight out of the clips used, and he ended up throwing the rest of the film away. If only he had saved the full movie, we would've had a full movie to review!!
 Noah Young.. I used to get freaked out by his menacing appearance in this movie. He's almost too menacing.. I mean, Jesus! All those close-up shots of Noah coming at the camera are scary! I used to think that it was a horror movie as a kid! His appearance totally detracts from all the wonderful comedy we could've gotten in this movie.
 Stan vs. Noah.. You know who's going to win: Noah. Guess what? Stan actually beats Noah, except Stan messes up which kinda sucks, so then Noah wins, which allows it to be a Hal Roach comedy. In Hal Roach comedies, there sometimes aren't happy stuff, as with actual reality. Except, I was expecting Laurel to win! Come on, Hal!
 Oliver Hardy does a great job as Laurel's manager. Something looks off about him, however.. I think he has a bit too much makeup on. BTW, Stan and Ollie seriously have great chemistry in this movie. You would've never guessed that they've only been working for a short amount of time.
 Laurel and Hardy's great mannerisms are put to great use in the boxing sequence, especially Laurel: He takes so much time warming up comedically for the boxing match that overall, about half of the footage that is shown in a boxing stadium is actually the match.
 Now, for some reason the pies completely take me away from the boxing footage and almost make the movie. Almost 3,000 pies were used, thus making it the biggest pie fight in silent film history.
 Among the weirdest of the pie shots is the one where the man gets a pie to the face and falls into a garbage can, and then goes around jumping like a chimp. It honestly makes no sense to me, and I don't understand it. Also, when Ollie takes Stan out of the fight along with himself, Stan has less pies on his face than in the next shot.
 Among the best pie shots is the one with Anita Garvin. Her pure embarrassment is just enough to make one laugh. It's a pretty funny shot, which I would easily call one of the best moments of Anita Garvin in a L&H movie.
 Also, this pie battle would not have worked in sound because there is hardly any title cards used in the pie sequence. Also, because of the reactions. Certain pie fights would have been better suited to sound because they don't have weird reactions. When I think of silent pie fights, I think of weird reactions. This one has weird reactions, so it's better for a silent movie.
 I think I read somewhere that one of the people that gets hit by a pie says h-e- double hockey sticks. However, I think I got that on IMDB and that it probably is not correct.. Oh, who cares?
 So, my overall thoughts: A great film, that has a fantastic pie fight and a menacing villain that takes away from a bit of the comedy in the first half of the movie. Although this movie is partly lost, from what I've saw, this movie deserves a perfect score.

10/10
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017664/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SkN7sptS5m4

What an unfulfilling experience reviewing this one is.  Only half of this film still exists, so there's really only two scenes to discuss, and as such I won't even rate this.  For years, the famous pie fight scene towards the end was the only thing that existed, in edited form, because of a Robert Youngson compilation film. The pie footage was included in. The first reel, which involves the boxing match, was not discovered until 1979.

The pie fight may be more famous, but the opening boxing sequence is quite funny.  As far as character development goes, this scene is the more satisfying, as the pie fight is pure comic destruction.  Stan Laurel does absolutely nothing here, and it works brilliantly.  He's in a situation where his opponent is much bigger and more menacing than he is, but there is a part where his oponnent's glove needs to be adjusted, giving Stan more than enough time to clobber his way to victory.  However, Stan is so used to losing, he has no idea what to do, so he just wanders around aimlessly as poor Ollie is in the corner urging Stan to use his left.  Then Stan sticks his arm out, his opponent, glove now adjusted, charges Stan and runs into the outstretched arm, being completely knocked out.  Stan is too stupid to go into a neutral corner for the ref to count, his opponent gets saved by the bell and eventually knocks Stan out.  Again, Stan basically does very little in this scene, but the results are hilarious.  When people say Stan Laurel's character had some Harry Langdon influence, this is the kind of scene they were talking about.  The idea of doing nothing when a situation calls for something.  Minimalist comedy at its best.

The pie fight is anything but minimalist.  It's basically just an excuse to make a gooey mess out of a bunch of people and a city street, and it is a pleasure for the eyes.  My favorite bit is a subtler piece.  There's a mailman you expect to get a pie in the kisser.  Instead the pie lands in the mail he's about to deliver, unbeknownst to him, and he ends up picking up the messy mail.  Other funny bits are the homely man in the barber's chair, the flapper girl slipping on the pie and having it land on her backside underneath her skirt, and any long shot of the city street.  OK, I like the mayor getting hit as well.

Really, what exists from this thing is very funny, but it feels like an incomplete viewing experience because well...it is!

N/A / 10

PS:  Anybody care to take a guess who the extra is below pictured in the crowd during the boxing match?
By the way, it's Lou Costello!! Yes, THE Lou Costello! In fact, he was so broke after appearing as an extra in the movie that he had to hitchhike his way home, from what I've heard. That would've been cool if he took a pie to the face!  [pie]

For providing links to complement your L&H discussions, I highly recommend Dave Lord Heath's website, Another Nice Mess...

THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (1928)
Oh, yes. That website is a great L&H resource and I once spent hours digging through it.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
By the way, it's Lou Costello!! Yes, THE Lou Costello! In fact, he was so broke after appearing as an extra in the movie that he had to hitchhike his way home, from what I've heard. That would've been cool if he took a pie to the face!  [pie]

He spent about a year in L.A., doubling and stunting primarily at MGM.  Notably, he doubled/stunted for Dolores del Rio in THE TRAIL OF '98 (1928).

His hitchhiking only got him as far as St. Louis, where dead broke, he cold-called a burlesque theatre ad for a Dutch comic.  Spent most of 1929 learning burlesque comedy.  By the time he finally returned to Paterson NJ in 1930, his talent got him work in the better burly theatres in New York.  He earned himself respectable billings with various straightmen over the next 6 years. before teaming with Bud in 1936.

He spent about a year in L.A., doubling and stunting primarily at MGM.  Notably, he doubled/stunted for Dolores del Rio in THE TRAIL OF '98 (1928).

His hitchhiking only got him as far as St. Louis, where dead broke, he cold-called a burlesque theatre ad for a Dutch comic.  Spent most of 1929 learning burlesque comedy.  By the time he finally returned to Paterson NJ in 1930, his talent got him work in the better burly theatres in New York.  He earned himself respectable billings with various straightmen over the next 6 years. before teaming with Bud in 1936.
Oh, yes! I knew he stunt doubled for a bit at MGM before going over to burlesque, but, however, I didn't know he was in burlesque for 6 YEARS before teaming up with Bud Abbott.

Offline metaldams

Oh, yes. That website is a great L&H resource and I once spent hours digging through it.

Agreed, great resource, not just for Laurel and Hardy, but Hal Roach in general.  Good idea, Brent.  While I'm at it, I probably should probably throw in laurelandhardycentral.com as well.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:09:25 PM by metaldams »
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Correct, it's Lou Costello.
- Doug Sarnecky

Agreed, great resource, not just for Laurel and Hardy, but Hal Roach in general.  Good idea, Brent.  While I'm at it, I probably should probably throw in laurelandhardycentral.com as well.  Not as academic as the site you mentioned, but has the feel of watching Stan and Ollie with a couple of normal guys drinking a beer.
In fact, I was about to mention that website, Metal, but you beat me to it! While it's definitely not as informative and has me yearning for more commentary, but we sadly don't get any. But, still, both great websites.

Offline metaldams

Noah Young.. I used to get freaked out by his menacing appearance in this movie. He's almost too menacing.. I mean, Jesus! All those close-up shots of Noah coming at the camera are scary! I used to think that it was a horror movie as a kid! His appearance totally detracts from all the wonderful comedy we could've gotten in this movie.

I think you said the same thing about Noah Young in DO DETECTIVES THINK?  He must be the boogeyman to you or something.  It's almost strange seeing him appear in these early Laurel and Hardy shorts because to me, I associate him so much with Harold Lloyd. 
- Doug Sarnecky

I think you said the same thing about Noah Young in DO DETECTIVES THINK?  He must be the boogeyman to you or something.  It's almost strange seeing him appear in these early Laurel and Hardy shorts because to me, I associate him so much with Harold Lloyd.
Oh, I don't know much about Harold Lloyd, except for Safety Last! and that he was associated with Hal Roach and that he was in an Our Gang comedy in 1923. I should really look him up. He seems like a good comedian to research.

I think you said the same thing about Noah Young in DO DETECTIVES THINK?  He must be the boogeyman to you or something.9.msg47382#
When I was 6, yes, yes he was. Anytime I saw him on the screen at that age, I would immediately fast forward. Now? Not so much. Now, I can easily stand a L&H comedy with Noah Young in it. Sometimes, he just overplays his roles and becomes too much of a villain, to where it detracts to the comedy.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
News making the rounds today, confirmed with an announcement at an LoC event in Culpeper VA this weekend...

A print of the lost 2nd reel has been found. 

Dave Lord Heath posted some details on FB earlier, quoting a reliable [but requested to remain anonymous] source...

It is however a 16mm printdown but one of exceptional quality. It was in Robert Youngson's collection that was obtained by another collector after Youngson's death. The collector did not know it was in the collection. This collector died a couple of years ago and another private collector took over his collection and found it a couple of months ago. We were shown frame grabs so this is no hoax. It has been scanned and is likely to appear on a European DVD soon.

Offline metaldams

News making the rounds today, confirmed with an announcement at an LoC event in Culpeper VA this weekend...

A print of the lost 2nd reel has been found. 

Dave Lord Heath posted some details on FB earlier, quoting a reliable [but requested to remain anonymous] source...

Awesome news!  This totally made my day.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

According to a post on Facebook made earlier this morning by Dave Lord Heath, the latest buzz is that the recently restored "Battle Of The Century" has had a "secret" public screening, and that "negotiations" are ongoing for a DVD release but is unlikely for the American market.

In short, we North Americans who want to view this will potentially have to work around the Region Coding issue, and pay extra shipping fees, etc.

For me, there aren't many titles that I'm willing to jump through hoops for these days, but a much more complete BOTC is one of them!

CHEERS!  :)

Offline metaldams

According to a post on Facebook made earlier this morning by Dave Lord Heath, the latest buzz is that the recently restored "Battle Of The Century" has had a "secret" public screening, and that "negotiations" are ongoing for a DVD release but is unlikely for the American market.

In short, we North Americans who want to view this will potentially have to work around the Region Coding issue, and pay extra shipping fees, etc.

For me, there aren't many titles that I'm willing to jump through hoops for these days, but a much more complete BOTC is one of them!

About ten years ago, I remember a lost Arbuckle/Keaton film was discovered called THE COOK.  They slapped on another Arbuckle and a Harold Lloyd short and made a release.  Something similar here would be nice for North America.

Maybe it will show up on YouTube?  But yeah, count me in as someone who would love to see this.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

According to the following posting on Leonard Maltin's Indie Wire Blog, the park scene with Eugene Palette which follows the Fight scene, is still missing: http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmaltin/alfred-hitchcock-laurel-hardy-and-cutting-edge-cinema-20150909

At least all of Reel 2 is now intact!

Offline CurlyFan1934

Didn't know if this would be of note to any of you forum members, but I am going to be seeing a screening of The Battle of The Century today at a Sons of the Desert fan club meeting. I don't know if Reel Two will be in the film when I go to see it, but I am going to be bringing my camera so that I can take videos for you guys and upload them so that you guys can see it. I'm hoping that Reel Two is in the version of The Battle of the Century that they're playing tonight.

Offline metaldams

Didn't know if this would be of note to any of you forum members, but I am going to be seeing a screening of The Battle of The Century today at a Sons of the Desert fan club meeting. I don't know if Reel Two will be in the film when I go to see it, but I am going to be bringing my camera so that I can take videos for you guys and upload them so that you guys can see it. I'm hoping that Reel Two is in the version of The Battle of the Century that they're playing tonight.

That would be cool, thanks!  Would like to see this newly discovered footage.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

The "new" footage should start following the Boxing Match and the single still insert of Stan & Babe (With the latter's face covered in ink splatter!) with Eugene Palette.  I really wish the release rights issues could get sorted out so that fans could actually buy this now nearly complete short!  I'm afraid the prospects of that don't look at all good, at the present!  The are postings relating to this on Dave Lord Heath's "Another Nice Forum" page, which can be accessed via his amazing "Another Nice Mess" (www.lordheath.com) website!  By the way, today is also his Lordship's Birthday, so one could also post Birthday Greetings, if they wish to do so!

Anyway, Best of luck in your video capturing endeavors, and happy viewing!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline CurlyFan1934

That would be cool, thanks!  Would like to see this newly discovered footage.
I would also like to see the newly discovered footage. Debating filming Reel One or just filming Reel Two. I'll probably end up filming Reel One if it doesn't take up all of the space on my camera.
The "new" footage should start following the Boxing Match and the single still insert of Stan & Babe (With the latter's face covered in ink splatter!) with Eugene Palette.  I really wish the release rights issues could get sorted out so that fans could actually buy this now nearly complete short!  I'm afraid the prospects of that don't look at all good, at the present!  The are postings relating to this on Dave Lord Heath's "Another Nice Forum" page, which can be accessed via his amazing "Another Nice Mess" (www.lordheath.com) website!  By the way, today is also his Lordship's Birthday, so one could also post Birthday Greetings, if they wish to do so!

Anyway, Best of luck in your video capturing endeavors, and happy viewing!

CHEERS!  [pie]
Thanks for the good luck! I'll probably end up needing it, considering I'm not the best videographer. And you talked about release rights issues. As of now, is the film and Reel Two in the public domain? I'm afraid if I post my footage on YouTube, the video will get taken down due to copyright strikes.
(Oh, and tell Lord Heath I said happy birthday. His website is awesome!)

Offline Tony Bensley

I would also like to see the newly discovered footage. Debating filming Reel One or just filming Reel Two. I'll probably end up filming Reel One if it doesn't take up all of the space on my camera.Thanks for the good luck! I'll probably end up needing it, considering I'm not the best videographer. And you talked about release rights issues. As of now, is the film and Reel Two in the public domain? I'm afraid if I post my footage on YouTube, the video will get taken down due to copyright strikes.
(Oh, and tell Lord Heath I said happy birthday. His website is awesome!)
THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (1927) definitely isn't Public Domain.  My focus would be on Reel Two, although if you have plenty of room and your camera has plenty of charge, starting from the beginning might be better, as one could get sufficiently caught up in the onscreen goings off to forget about activating the video recording altogether!

Again, if you see this before the Sons Of The Desert presentation, best of luck!  I greatly look forward to your report, whatever the results!

I did extend Dave Lord Heath your Birthday Greetings!

CHEERS!  [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie]  [pie]

Offline CurlyFan1934

Sad to say this, but here goes nothing... I went into this Battle of the Century presentation expecting to find Reel Two. I sat through four movies to watch The Battle of the Century. The reel was not in the best quality, and it took about 20 seconds for the quality of the print to get better. I asked the projectionist if this was the complete copy of The Battle of the Century. The projectionist informed me with sad news that Reel Two hasn't been made into a 16mm print yet, so this was a version made in the 80's or 90's splicing together pre-existing footage. It was kind of disappointing, but in the grand scheme of things we're all going to get to see this film at some point.

Offline Tony Bensley

Sad to say this, but here goes nothing... I went into this Battle of the Century presentation expecting to find Reel Two. I sat through four movies to watch The Battle of the Century. The reel was not in the best quality, and it took about 20 seconds for the quality of the print to get better. I asked the projectionist if this was the complete copy of The Battle of the Century. The projectionist informed me with sad news that Reel Two hasn't been made into a 16mm print yet, so this was a version made in the 80's or 90's splicing together pre-existing footage. It was kind of disappointing, but in the grand scheme of things we're all going to get to see this film at some point.

Hi CurlyFan1934!

Frankly, I'm surprised that nobody connected with the Sons Of The Desert have had this done, as it's my understanding the 16mm option is far more doable rights wise.  The only possibility I can readily think of is the asking price may be too high, but who knows?

In any event, I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment, along with anyone other attendees who may have had high hopes of viewing the complete Reel 2.  At this stage, there should be no good reason this shouldn't be accessible to Sons of The Desert meetings, yet sadly, this seems to be the case!  Furthermore, based on what I've read regarding ownership of the Film itself vs who has the Home Video release rights, I'm even less optimistic this will see DVD / Blu-ray / Digital Download release any time soon, if ever, such is the sad state of getting never before released versions of Hal Roach Films to Home Video today!  Just check out Dave Lord Heath's Another Nice Forum page under my heading for The Battle Of The Century quagmire, and you'll get a better idea of the extremely frustrating ridiculousness of the situation!  It's no wonder Richard W. Bann doesn't deal with this crap anymore!  After everything he had to deal with in getting LAUREL & HARDY: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION titles released in the U.S, I think he simply decided he had enough, at least that's the impression I got!  Believe me, I would LOVE to be WRONG about all of this!

Sorry to unload like this, but this is my current take regarding the above.  Your views might differ.

Kind Regards,

Tony