Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Any body ever throw a pie?

Offline VaudevilleFan

I was reading how people have Pie throwing parties and it got me thinking. I would love to have my own pie fight using pies made the same way as on Stooge shorts (Minus nails and debris of course). Have you ever thrown a pie? How were those throwing pies made?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Heh, there a number of people who I would love to splatter a pie across their kisser--seeing as how baseball season is coming up, A-Roid is the first poser that comes to mind. But, no I've never actually pied anyone in the face--maybe I should put that on my bucket list.

As far as the stooges go, I don't believe they used real pies--I think the pie concoctions used in the films were made from shaving cream. I think Ed Bernds himself goes into detail about it on the Three Stooges Story DVD....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I never threw a pie, but I always wanted to have a pie-throwing party.  You be sure to post about it if you ever have a pie fight, VaudevilleFan.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
From the interviews with Ed Bernds, he explained that the pies used in Stooge shorts were made of a concoction of shaving cream and other things, NOT real pies because they tended to become sour and awful under the hot studio lamps in a pretty short time, and that they were always thrown from a very short distance so as not to injure the pie recipient ... having a pie throwing party should be begun with everyone signing an injury disclaimer, I think ...
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Signor Spumoni

From the interviews with Ed Bernds, he explained that the pies used in Stooge shorts were made of a concoction of shaving cream and other things, NOT real pies because they tended to become sour and awful under the hot studio lamps in a pretty short time, and that they were always thrown from a very short distance so as not to injure the pie recipient ... having a pie throwing party should be begun with everyone signing an injury disclaimer, I think ...

I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but I think one would have to have something like a disclaimer.  I used to plan events for a social group who had a Stooges faction.  Knowing that I (and the group and the venue) could be sued if anyone slipped and fell or got a pie in the eye, etc., stopped me having the pie fight I always wanted.

But legal matters aside, it would sure be fun.   [pie]

Offline Squirrelbait

Somebody's gonna get this pie right in the MUSH! *SPLAT*
Oh, it would be so much fun......I never have, but hopefully one day. Too bad we couldn't all get together and have ourselves a little Stooge-fan pie fight!

And speaking of pie, I happened across this little gem on the Stooges' Facebook page:
January has National Pie Day. February goes a bit further with ?#?GreatAmericanPieMonth?! This might be The Boys favorite month. Three Sappy People has one of the best pie and pastry throwing scenes. Share your favorite flavor of Three Stooges pie throwing here so all The Boys fans can have a piece! Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! ?#?showthepielove?

https://www.facebook.com/thethreestooges

Meanwhile, here's some smileys who are throwing pies....all this talk about pie is really making me hungry.
[pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie]

If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

I've been a member of a pie-throwing team, when I crept up behind the recipient and raised his hat while another guy nailed him.  Very basic aluminum-foil pie-pan and shaving cream, but it was great.
     I have also been pied, with a real piece of pie, where fifty people saw it coming but not me.  You've never heard such a roar of laughter, including mine.  You also wouldn't believe what an ungodly mess one slice of well-thrown pie can make.
     Buster Keaton said somewhere that one key to making a good throwing-pie is that it needs to have two crusts:  one crust just disintegrates and doesn't photograph well, but a double crust is still fairly recognizable as a pie after impact.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I've been a member of a pie-throwing team, when I crept up behind the recipient and raised his hat while another guy nailed him.  Very basic aluminum-foil pie-pan and shaving cream, but it was great.
     I have also been pied, with a real piece of pie, where fifty people saw it coming but not me.  You've never heard such a roar of laughter, including mine.  You also wouldn't believe what an ungodly mess one slice of well-thrown pie can make.
     Buster Keaton said somewhere that one key to making a good throwing-pie is that it needs to have two crusts:  one crust just disintegrates and doesn't photograph well, but a double crust is still fairly recognizable as a pie after impact.

Care to share any details as to how a pie-throwing team came to be?  Was this for a show or just for fun?  Details, man, details!  :)  It's not every day I hear about such things. 

The first one was when I was working in a band and one of the guys was moving away.  That was a backstage, private goof.  When I got pied was years later, in another band, and the occasion was nothing more than the band playing near the dessert table.  I went for a high note on the big finish, and BOOM.  As I've said, I never heard a louder roar of laughter, including mine, than that.  I then finished the song, laughing like a bastard and looking like Eddie Laughton.

Offline VaudevilleFan

I never threw a pie, but I always wanted to have a pie-throwing party.  You be sure to post about it if you ever have a pie fight, VaudevilleFan.

Will do.  ;)

Offline Signor Spumoni

The first one was when I was working in a band and one of the guys was moving away.  That was a backstage, private goof.  When I got pied was years later, in another band, and the occasion was nothing more than the band playing near the dessert table.  I went for a high note on the big finish, and BOOM.  As I've said, I never heard a louder roar of laughter, including mine, than that.  I then finished the song, laughing like a bastard and looking like Eddie Laughton.

That sounds great!  Thank you for the details.  Till I read your post, I was picturing some kind of Olympic pie-throwing team, and wondering why that can't be an official sport.
I like you description of yourself as looking like Eddie Laughton. 

Are you still in a band?

Offline Signor Spumoni

Yes.  I'm a musician by trade.

As a true Stooges fan:
Can you play "Swingeroo Joe"  - - on a rooftop?
Have you ever accidentally swallowed a harmonica and had people play "Ach, Du Lieber Augustine" on you?
Have you ever played in a two-man quartet?
Have you ever shot a bow with your bass fiddle?
Can you play a fish horn like Harry James?
Can you play rhythm by tearing newspaper?
Have you ever played "Pop Goes the Weasel" at a boxing match?
No, don't answer.  Just let me believe you have and can.  :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:16:30 PM by Signor Spumoni »

I can play Swingaroo Joe,  the answer is no to all the others EXCEPT:

I had a friend, an old-time drummer from Pittsburgh, he's dead now, who claimed that he was in the band at The Holiday House for THE comeback gig.  The subject came up because he remembered the tearing-the-newspaper bit, which one of them ( he didn't remember who, I don't think he knew one from another anyway ) did in the show.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I can play Swingaroo Joe,  the answer is no to all the others EXCEPT:

I had a friend, an old-time drummer from Pittsburgh, he's dead now, who claimed that he was in the band at The Holiday House for THE comeback gig.  The subject came up because he remembered the tearing-the-newspaper bit, which one of them ( he didn't remember who, I don't think he knew one from another anyway ) did in the show.

I like it that you can play "Swingeroo Joe."  :)

That's a neat story about your friend.  I know the Pittsburgh area and I remember The Holiday House though I didn't see that comeback gig.  Funny, your friend didn't know one from another but he got to see them.  It's always the way.

Offline Myren

Pie throwing is fun! Back when I was in college, I did throw a pie or two. I will have to see if I can find the video of some of them to post here. Usually it was done when someone came to the door and when I opened the door to let them in "BOOM" pie to the face. So fun. Also very messy, and would make the floor a bit slippery.

Now I will say the pies I used/made where a mix of whipped cream and eggs and chilled to keep them fluffy! No crust just filled an aluminum pie pan. This also helped with the splatter factor!  >:D

Offline Signor Spumoni

Pie throwing is fun! Back when I was in college, I did throw a pie or two. I will have to see if I can find the video of some of them to post here. Usually it was done when someone came to the door and when I opened the door to let them in "BOOM" pie to the face. So fun. Also very messy, and would make the floor a bit slippery.

Now I will say the pies I used/made where a mix of whipped cream and eggs and chilled to keep them fluffy! No crust just filled an aluminum pie pan. This also helped with the splatter factor!  >:D

Can we assume you attended college in the '70s?  Throwing pies was popular then, as I recall.

Offline Myren

Can we assume you attended college in the '70s?  Throwing pies was popular then, as I recall.

Would you believe I went to college in the 90's! I guess I watch one too many Stooge shorts. Then again there is not such a thing as watching one to many is there.