Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who do you want to discuss next?

metaldams · 65 · 24024

Poll

Which comedian(s) would you like to discuss next?

Charles Chaplin
3 (13.6%)
Buster Keaton
4 (18.2%)
Harold Lloyd
0 (0%)
Harry Langdon
0 (0%)
Charley Chase
2 (9.1%)
Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle
0 (0%)
Larry Semon
0 (0%)
W.C. Fields
1 (4.5%)
Wheeler and Woolsey
0 (0%)
Abbott and Costello
5 (22.7%)
Martin and Lewis
0 (0%)
Our Gang/Little Rascals
3 (13.6%)
Bowery Boys
0 (0%)
The Ritz Brothers
1 (4.5%)
Other
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Offline metaldams

Ok, I'm dumb--I'm navigating the board & don't see a Chaplin section. Missed train or has he not been discussed?

We never discussed Chaplin.  As much as I'd like to, I'm not sure it would get much of a response.

Abbott and Costello there's a chance with, though.  Diesel, I imagine you'd respond, right?  I know you're a fan.  If I'm going to do this, I want to make sure enough people are responding if I'm going to spend a year reviewing them.  Anyone else interested? 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Honestly, Metal, I'm not "well-versed" in Chaplin--I just started rewatching it again after getting some PD DVDs & was like yeah, dude is funny (you can imagine). So far, I've seen a handful of the early shorts from the 14-15 period & remember the "Gold Rush" and something else I saw on TCM where he adopted a kid, or something.

As for A & C, I'm up for it--even if does begin with Buck Privates; or would One Night in the Tropics be a better start?

:P
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Umbrella Sam

For Abbott and Costello, I could probably just share my blog reviews (I know I haven't posted in a while, but that's because I've been busy. I plan on returning to it soon).

I suppose I'd be up for talking about Chaplin, though I don't know if I could survive 36 weeks of Keystone films.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

It looks like I'm going to do Abbott and Costello, thanks guys.  I will start at BUCK PRIVATES and the goal is to do all the features and depending on how I feel, maybe even the TV episodes as well.  That would last a couple of years if I did that but let's just say features for now with possibility of TV.  The features will be newer for me while as I've seen and own them all with the exception of DANCE WITH ME HENRY, there's only a handful I've seen more than once.  Basically my favorite Bud and Lou is the TV show, monster films, and a few other features outside of that sprinkled in.  This should be an interesting journey.

Sam, I'm glad you mentioned the blog because I know you've reviewed a lot of these films already, so yeah, copy and paste your reviews if you want and throw in an extra link to advertise your blog.  I have on and off troubles posting responses because of Google Plus and I'm not of Facebook.  I did want to respond to your Ritz Brothers review because we have the exact same opinion on that team.  Can't tell the guys apart and actually think the musical and dance stuff is their strong point.  Beyond my understanding, Mel Brooks worships those guys.

As far as 36 weeks of Keystone films, believe me, I had the same thought.  If I ever do Chaplin, I have a few ways around that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

I think you should start Abbott and Costello with One Night in the Tropics.  It has some of the best Abbot and Costello routines Who’s On First, Mustard Routine, Money Changing, Jonah and the Whale, Paid In Full, and Two Tens For a Five.  It also stars Allan Jones from the Marx Brothers movies A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races, William Frawley from I Love Lucy, and even Charlie Hall from Laurel and Hardy in a small part.

Offline metaldams

I think you should start Abbott and Costello with One Night in the Tropics.  It has some of the best Abbot and Costello routines Who’s On First, Mustard Routine, Money Changing, Jonah and the Whale, Paid In Full, and Two Tens For a Five.  It also stars Allan Jones from the Marx Brothers movies A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races, William Frawley from I Love Lucy, and even Charlie Hall from Laurel and Hardy in a small part.

You can start a thread on it in general discussion if you'd like, but I do starring films of relative comedians only and Bud and Lou don't even appear until 15 or 20 minutes in.  Yes, it is important to their history and I will make sure it gets a mention when I do BUCK PRIVATES.

There's a part of me that wants to wait 8 weeks once I'm done with the Roach films for two reasons.  One is once we go post Roach with Laurel and Hardy, things might really be a graveyard here and Bud and Lou every other week would offset that.  Secondly, reviewing BUCK PRIVATES and GREAT GUNS back to back would be very interesting.  The only downside is I'm not sure I want to wait eight weeks.  Stay tuned for when I make my decision.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

It looks like I'm going to do Abbott and Costello, thanks guys.  I will start at BUCK PRIVATES and the goal is to do all the features and depending on how I feel, maybe even the TV episodes as well.  That would last a couple of years if I did that but let's just say features for now with possibility of TV.  The features will be newer for me while as I've seen and own them all with the exception of DANCE WITH ME HENRY, there's only a handful I've seen more than once.  Basically my favorite Bud and Lou is the TV show, monster films, and a few other features outside of that sprinkled in.  This should be an interesting journey.

Sam, I'm glad you mentioned the blog because I know you've reviewed a lot of these films already, so yeah, copy and paste your reviews if you want and throw in an extra link to advertise your blog.  I have on and off troubles posting responses because of Google Plus and I'm not of Facebook.  I did want to respond to your Ritz Brothers review because we have the exact same opinion on that team.  Can't tell the guys apart and actually think the musical and dance stuff is their strong point.  Beyond my understanding, Mel Brooks worships those guys.

As far as 36 weeks of Keystone films, believe me, I had the same thought.  If I ever do Chaplin, I have a few ways around that.

In general, I've found it hard to comment on Blogger as well, though in your case, it might have to do with a recent notification I got in which Blogger apparently doesn't support Google+ comments anymore.  No idea why they did that.

I'd heard about Mel Brooks liking the Ritz Brothers. Apparently Harry briefly appears in SILENT MOVIE. I haven't seen that in a long time.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I've been all talk and no action on this front lately.  I'm really sorry, guys, but moving's a pain.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Tony Bensley

I've been all talk and no action on this front lately.  I'm really sorry, guys, but moving's a pain.
Speaking from recent experience, I agree moving is a pain.  Hope you get settled soon, Paul!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I realize I may be late to the party, but has anyone posted their Top 10 Curly and Shemp lists?

Offline metaldams

I realize I may be late to the party, but has anyone posted their Top 10 Curly and Shemp lists?

Not that I can recall, but feel free to post yours.  My brain would be be racked trying to do mine, but I may give it a shot.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Anywhere in particular?

You can start a new thread in the general discussion area if you want.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.