Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who do you want to discuss next?

metaldams · 65 · 24017

Poll

Which comedian(s) would you like to discuss next?

Charles Chaplin
3 (13.6%)
Buster Keaton
4 (18.2%)
Harold Lloyd
0 (0%)
Harry Langdon
0 (0%)
Charley Chase
2 (9.1%)
Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle
0 (0%)
Larry Semon
0 (0%)
W.C. Fields
1 (4.5%)
Wheeler and Woolsey
0 (0%)
Abbott and Costello
5 (22.7%)
Martin and Lewis
0 (0%)
Our Gang/Little Rascals
3 (13.6%)
Bowery Boys
0 (0%)
The Ritz Brothers
1 (4.5%)
Other
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Offline metaldams

The straight answer for me is this: There are a few TV shows I would have a blast reviewing-- I Love Lucy, Star Trek: TOS, Mister Ed... actually, those are the only shows I have seen every episode of besides one episode of Mama's Family and a handful of Golden Girls episodes.  I would have tons of fun reviewing these, heck I could probably lead the reviews on all of them (and have considered asking for such) I have watched them with such dedication...

I also think that we are in a short-subject/vaudevillian film forum, and as a result I see no problem with the Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton, Fatty Arbuckle, etc. being brought up here.  But I don't think there's room for Lucy, Kirk, and Bea on here as those were all sitcoms (yes, Star Trek is a sitcom in my book only without a live audience or laugh track).

Not as for animated short subjects... I judgeth not.

As far as TV shows, I am borrowing my brother's MARRIED...WITH CHILDREN DVD's and watching them in order.  I'm on season 4 now.  Always have loved that show. My taste in sitcoms is more 80's and 90's oriented (SEINFELD, FRASIER, COSBY SHOW, and yeah even sappy stuff like FULL HOUSE for nostalgic purposes).  Never could be a Trekkie, don't ask me why.  My uncle and cousin certainly are.  As far as the other stuff, all shows I haven't seen in years, but enjoyed as a kid.  I LOVE LUCY is a show I'd love to revisit, so who knows.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I love the Rascals just as good as the Stooges, though the gang's style differed greatly than that of the Stooges, not as slapstick oriented.

Hey, to each their own, but I get the feeling Our Gang is more popular around here than Laurel and Hardy, and that I don't get for the life of me.  I guess I just prefer consistent characters.  Our Gang, for very obvious reasons, had to change the cast too much.  Well, I still like some of those shorts, though, and I'm sure I'll revisit the series again someday.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
As far as TV shows, I am borrowing my brother's MARRIED...WITH CHILDREN DVD's and watching them in order.  I'm on season 4 now.  Always have loved that show. My taste in sitcoms is more 80's and 90's oriented (SEINFELD, FRASIER, COSBY SHOW, and yeah even sappy stuff like FULL HOUSE for nostalgic purposes).  Never could be a Trekkie, don't ask me why.  My uncle and cousin certainly are.  As far as the other stuff, all shows I haven't seen in years, but enjoyed as a kid.  I LOVE LUCY is a show I'd love to revisit, so who knows.

Well, if you ever decide to do I LOVE LUCY or any of the others I listed, you have a person willing to conduct the train you're driving!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Hey, to each their own, but I get the feeling Our Gang is more popular around here than Laurel and Hardy, and that I don't get for the life of me.  I guess I just prefer consistent characters.  Our Gang, for very obvious reasons, had to change the cast too much.  Well, I still like some of those shorts, though, and I'm sure I'll revisit the series again someday.

I have already stated my feelings based on what little Laurel and Hardy and what little Our Gang I have seen, and I side with metaldams.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline MrsMorganMorgan

• Applehead
  • I used to do toe work until I broke both ankles
Bugs Bunny will be considered, it's actually a good idea.

Nice; okay. Thank you!
You hear that? The old lady's a crook. Let's give her the razzle-dazzle!

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I am seriously considering exploring Chapin, Keaton, Semon, or Fields.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I am seriously considering exploring Chapin, Keaton, Semon, or Fields.

I would do the other three before Semon.  Not that Semon's bad, just more sight gag oriented but not much character.  Plus his films are scattered and not always restored.  The other three you can't go wrong, but if you're going to explore Chaplin, start no earlier than his 1916 Mutual films through his features.  His stuff from the first two years, while good for a seasoned fan, is not an ideal intro.  I actually was introduced to Chaplin through some 1915 shorts and was not initially won over.  For Keaton, just make sure you start anything silent, can't go wrong, and Fields, I'd start with any 1934 or 1935 film not named MISSISSIPPI or 1940's THE BANK DICK, which has Shemp in a support role.  Fields is hysterical, I think you'll like him.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
But destruction for destruction's sake :D
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline QuinceHead

Bugs Bunny will be considered, it's actually a good idea.

I like this idea too!

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline QuinceHead

I know -- review all of the Looney Tunes / Merry Melodies / etc. in which the Three Stooges have / make cameo appearances!   :D

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline CurlyFan1934

I know -- review all of the Looney Tunes / Merry Melodies / etc. in which the Three Stooges have / make cameo appearances!   :D

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead
Ooh, yeah! If anybody has that bonus footage DVD that Columbia released a few years ago containing some Shemp, Besser and DeRita solo shorts, the bonus footage DVD contains some Merrie Melodies cartoons where The Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, and The Marx Brothers all appear. I would also be open to the possibility of discussing Mickey Mouse cartoons, while we're on the cartoon subject.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Well, I am currently set to take the lead of short discussions after we finish the DeRita features.  Merrie Melodies and Mickey Mouse are amongst the things I can guarantee won't be discussed.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline CurlyFan1934

Well, I am currently set to take the lead of short discussions after we finish the DeRita features.  Merrie Melodies and Mickey Mouse are amongst the things I can guarantee won't be discussed.
Do you think we'll ever get around to discussing Chaplin or Keaton? Or if silent films aren't your thing, are we ever going to discuss Abbott and Costello?

Offline metaldams

Do you think we'll ever get around to discussing Chaplin or Keaton? Or if silent films aren't your thing, are we ever going to discuss Abbott and Costello?

Personally, I would love to do Chaplin and Keaton, but I honestly believe responses would be minimal.  I would MUCH rather discuss Chaplin and Keaton than Palma Stooges.  The Marx Brothers and Laurel and Hardy got minimal responses for the most part.  I'm on my Big Papi farewell tour as far as starting reviews.  It's been a long and fascinating ride.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline CurlyFan1934

The Marx Brothers and Laurel and Hardy both have very interesting bodies of work. I'm frankly surprised not as much people responded. I tried to respond to most of the early L&H discussions as ShempIsAwesome78, but it seemed like the early sound films got minimal responses. It's a shame. I would've loved to see people's opinions on such classics as Sons of the Desert and Way Out West. It also would've been interesting to see people's responses to the Fox film discussions and Atoll K.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
The Marx Brothers and Laurel and Hardy both have very interesting bodies of work. I'm frankly surprised not as much people responded. I tried to respond to most of the early L&H discussions as ShempIsAwesome78, but it seemed like the early sound films got minimal responses. It's a shame. I would've loved to see people's opinions on such classics as Sons of the Desert and Way Out West. It also would've been interesting to see people's responses to the Fox film discussions and Atoll K.

Well, but this time next year, maybe some of that will finally come to fruition.

We'll see about Chaplin or Keaton.  But right now, I have my focus on some folks in particular, but it'll depend on how strong the reviews for some of these will be.  I find it easy to get 40 minutes in a week to watch a short and write a review, but I'm just a college student! :D
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline CurlyFan1934

Well, but this time next year, maybe some of that will finally come to fruition.

We'll see about Chaplin or Keaton.  But right now, I have my focus on some folks in particular, but it'll depend on how strong the reviews for some of these will be.  I find it easy to get 40 minutes in a week to watch a short and write a review, but I'm just a college student! :D
By "some folks in particular", do you mind telling us who you have in mind?

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
By "some folks in particular", do you mind telling us who you have in mind?

That'd be no fun to divulge my secrets.  But things will be a bit haphazard, I imagine, as so many comedians have lost* films.  But there are plenty of great films out there.  I hope to explore the non-Stooge work of some of the greatest Stooge foils ever.  We'll discover some gems and some phlegms, but I'll try to keep it entertaining if I can!

*So many great comedians aren't in circulation primarily because the studios have willingly chosen to not release those films.  Such as Columbia, which more or less only released the films of Harry Langdon, the Three Stooges, and any shorts they starred or co-starred in, like the Besser, DeRita, and Shemp solos, plus some of Shemp's co-starring roles in Andy Clyde films and the Glove Slingers series.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

That'd be no fun to divulge my secrets.  But things will be a bit haphazard, I imagine, as so many comedians have lost* films.  But there are plenty of great films out there.  I hope to explore the non-Stooge work of some of the greatest Stooge foils ever.  We'll discover some gems and some phlegms, but I'll try to keep it entertaining if I can!

*So many great comedians aren't in circulation primarily because the studios have willingly chosen to not release those films.  Such as Columbia, which more or less only released the films of Harry Langdon, the Three Stooges, and any shorts they starred or co-starred in, like the Besser, DeRita, and Shemp solos, plus some of Shemp's co-starring roles in Andy Clyde films and the Glove Slingers series.

I wish Harry Langdon's stuff was released, though some shorts are on YouTube.

For Columbia, other than Stooge related shorts, Buster Keaton and Charley Chases' films are on DVD.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I wish Harry Langdon's stuff was released, though some shorts are on YouTube.

For Columbia, other than Stooge related shorts, Buster Keaton and Charley Chases' films are on DVD.

Unfortunately, I am limited to that which can be found on a $0 budget, so I am limited to what I can find posted on the web.  I will certainly check for Buster and Charley, though!

Harry Langdon will probably get discussed... in an indirect way ;)
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline QuinceHead

So after next week's finale, are we going to do the Stooges' feature films once weekly?

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline metaldams

So after next week's finale, are we going to do the Stooges' feature films once weekly?

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Yes.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

Offline metaldams

Do you want to discuss Abbott and Costello next?

Not written in stone yet but I'm seriously considering it.  If anything, they seem to be the team a lot of Stooge fans like, so I have a feeling it may draw some interest.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Ok, I'm dumb--I'm navigating the board & don't see a Chaplin section. Missed train or has he not been discussed?

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.