Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Shemp Gets No Respect!

Myren · 17 · 7249

Offline Myren

I for one do not mind Shemp, as a matter of fact the line up with Shemp where the first shorts I ever saw. But I guess some people just are not down with Shemp,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YkmsvRsvnQ

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Heh, I guess that's the way it's always been--as far as the real world is concerned, I think the majority still looks at Shemp as being inferior to Curly. Obviously, I disagree, but it is what it is. At least here on the net, the Shemp army appears to be quite strong--and on an unrelated note, I'm wondering if someone will ever get around to writing a book about Mr. Shemp Howard--preferably before I'm dead....

:-\
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Myren

I have always wondered if someone would/will write a book about Shemp as well. If Larry can have multiple books out about just Larry, why not Shemp?

I for one have always like Shemp, so that would be great to get a book. I have also been happy to finally get Shemps Vitaphone shorts on disc. Nice to see his non stooge work.

Offline Myren

Heck I would be happy to just have a shirt with a photo or artwork of just Shemp. Not the dumb legalize Shemp text on it.  ;D

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Heck I would be happy to just have a shirt with a photo or artwork of just Shemp. Not the dumb legalize Shemp text on it.  ;D

Have you seen this shirt?

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Seamus

At least here on the net, the Shemp army appears to be quite strong--and on an unrelated note, I'm wondering if someone will ever get around to writing a book about Mr. Shemp Howard--preferably before I'm dead....

Shemp is totally a worthy subject for a bio.  He probably had the most diverse career of all the Stooges, so there'd be plenty to talk about.  Vaudeville, early short comedies, his film work (including appearances with W.C. Fields, John Wayne, Abbott and Costello, etc.).  It's a shame a book like that didn't get written earlier when more of his contemporaries were alive to be interviewed.  Knowing how spontaneous he was as a performer, I'd love to read more first-hand accounts of what it was like to work with him.

I've mentioned this before, but as much as I enjoy Shemp with the Stooges, the release of his Vitaphone shorts really made me appreciate the guy even more.

Offline Myren

Shemp_Diesel - I had not seen that shirt, is that on an online store still?

And I agree with you about the Vitaphone shorts, I really like seeing those. Some more then others, but I had never for the most part seen any of those. So it was great to see new "stooge" stuff!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Myren, just do a google search for "Shemp happens shirt" and I'm sure you'll find something. The place I got it from was called newegg.com, but since I ordered it, I think they ran out of stock of the long sleeve versions--only the short sleeves show up on their site....

Offline metaldams

Speaking of these Shemp Vitaphones, is it me or do the last few Joe Palooka shorts seem significantly funnier than the earlier ones?  It seems like Shemp got featured much more as the series progressed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Myren

I think you might be right about the later Joe Palooka shorts, I guess they started to hit their stride with them.

Offline stoogerascalfan62

It's a shame, because I think Shemp's just as funny as Curly.

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

I really enjoy watching Roscoe Arbuckle, whom I'm sure some of you know because of his famous scandal for which he was accused of murdering actress Virginia Rappe. However, when the scandal ended, Roscoe tried a comeback career.. at Vitaphone.. in shorts, with Shemp! Shemp was just starting his career, while Roscoe or Fatty was sadly ending his. They made 2 pictures together, however they're featured in more scenes together in the movie from 1933 In The Dough. ( BTW, dough is flinged around.)
 It's a shame that Shemp is too underlooked.. He deserves to have just about the same star status as Curly. What makes Curly more popular than Shemp will remain a  mystery, to me. I think the 2012 movie didn't do any justice to Shemp, either... They could've at least had Shemp appear in a gag cameo played by.. oh, who cares about that baloney! If you asked me if I prefer Shemp, Curly, Joe, or Curly-Joe, first, I would tell you to definitely eliminate Joe. Then, I would take out Curly-Joe, so that it comes down to Curly or Shemp. I would prefer Shemp. Who cares about all the remakes and stock footage used in the Shemp shorts? I enjoy comparing the originals with the remakes!
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
It was a funny video that clearly illustrates "The Problem of Shemp."
#1 fire kibitzer

It was a funny video that clearly illustrates "The Problem of Shemp."
Yes, and it also illustrates the whole " The Three Stooges is better than Laurel and Hardy" thing, while I think they both deserve the same amount of respect. Also, this video stinks.. Saying that Shemp isn't as good as Curly is basically just some one saying that because they have only seen Curly shorts, and have probably only seen Fake Shemps and no movies where Shemp is actually at his best.

Offline Paul Allen

My favorite Stooges... in order
1. Shemp
2. Moe
3. Curly
4. Larry
5. Joe
6. Curly Joe

My favorite Stooges... in order
1. Shemp
2. Moe
3. Curly
4. Larry
5. Joe
6. Curly Joe
My favorite Stooges, in order would probably have to be

1. Shemp
2. Larry
3. Curly
4. Moe
5. Curly Joe
6. Joe