Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Brown & Carney set released

Offline falsealarms

Warner Archive on Tuesday released a set of films starring the 1940's comedy team of Wally Brown and Alan Carney.

The set includes The Adventures of a Rookie (1943), Rookies in Burma (1943), Girl Rush (1944), and Genius at Work (1946).

Brown &  Carney, who were RKO's answer to Abbott & Costello, rank among the most obscure comedy teams from that period. Their films haven't gotten a lot of love on home video, and are rarely broadcast. Maybe there's a reason; the IMDB ratings for these films leave a lot to be desired.

This blog post from 2010 paints the duo in a more positive light: http://petekellysblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/wally-brown-and-alan-carney-b-movie.html

I haven't seen any of their films. Is anyone here a fan of this team?

Offline metaldams

Warner Archive on Tuesday released a set of films starring the 1940's comedy team of Wally Brown and Alan Carney.

The set includes The Adventures of a Rookie (1943), Rookies in Burma (1943), Girl Rush (1944), and Genius at Work (1946).

Brown &  Carney, who were RKO's answer to Abbott & Costello, rank among the most obscure comedy teams from that period. Their films haven't gotten a lot of love on home video, and are rarely broadcast. Maybe there's a reason; the IMDB ratings for these films leave a lot to be desired.

This blog post from 2010 paints the duo in a more positive light: http://petekellysblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/wally-brown-and-alan-carney-b-movie.html

I haven't seen any of their films. Is anyone here a fan of this team?

ZOMBIES ON BROADWAY and GENIUS AT WORK (the main reason I will eventually buy this set) are this team's most sought after films because Bela Lugosi is in them.  The former is already available.  I've seen GIRL RUSH years ago and remember it being just OK.  I don't suggest Carney and Brown to anybody here unless you have a good handle on all top and second tier comedians of the era already.  I'm glad Warner Brothers is going this deep, though, which means there's hope they'll eventually release the few Wheeler and Woolsey films yet released.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Wally Brown was actually teamed in a Columbia short with Tim Ryan: French Fried Frolic.

Part one, courtesy of 2reelers:
"With oranges, it's much harder..."