Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooge or comedy related Christmas gifts.

Offline metaldams

This is the thread to talk about any gifts you get that are Stooge or classic comedy related.  I'm writing this early Christmas morning, so maybe I'll have others to add to this as there'll be more presents later today.  I also have the strange case of having a 12/24 birthday, so what I got so far are not technically Christmas presents, though they may as well be.

http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Buster-Keaton-Educational-Pictures/dp/0810876825/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419515378&sr=1-10&keywords=Buster+Keaton

Book: THE FALL OF BUSTER KEATON - HIS FILMS FOR MGM, EDUCATIONAL PICTURES, AND COLUMBIA - James Neibaur

Awesome book so far, I have read up to SPITE MARRIAGE.  Basically discusses all the films related to the title above, and as a guy who is now writing reviews of my own every week, reading reviews like this inspires me to be a better writer.  Check it out if you're into Buster.

http://www.amazon.com/THREE-STOOGES-LICENSE-SOITENLY-Collectible/dp/B00FS0FN8G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419515782&sr=8-2&keywords=three+stooges+license+plate

I'm not a big product kind of guy.  When I'm interested in something, I tend to stick to meat and potatoes (films, CD's, books) and go low on the trinkets.  Somewhere, Gene Simmons weeps.  However, I have people in my life who buy me gifts and know I like The Three Stooges, bless them, and the link above will be on my car soon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Finally got Volume Seven (1952-1954) of The Collection; the last one I needed. My stepbrother got the Farrelly Bros. movie (it's okay, he likes the originals as well -- he has A Plumbing We Will Go on as we speak).

Also got season 3 of The Kids in the Hall.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline metaldams

Finally got Volume Seven (1952-1954) of The Collection; the last one I needed. My stepbrother got the Farrelly Bros. movie (it's okay, he likes the originals as well -- he has A Plumbing We Will Go on as we speak).

Also got season 3 of The Kids in the Hall.

Actual Three Stooges films for Christmas, you seriously can't beat that.  Having all 190 shorts is great.  I remember before these DVD sets how hard this was to do, especially with good prints.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Nothing stooge-related on the gift front for me. Hell, I'm not sure if there's anything stooge-related left for me to buy or receive as a gift--unless of course, someday the Shemp Monogram films come out on DVD. I think I'll do a little happy dance when that day comes...   :)

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

ThumpTheShoes

The book, "Ted Healy - Nobody's Stooge".

Plus, two other books, "Laurel and Hardy On Stage" and "Edgar Kennedy - Master of the Slow Burn", and also the dvd set called "Becoming Charley Chase".

Not bad at all!

Offline metaldams

The book, "Ted Healy - Nobody's Stooge".

Plus, two other books, "Laurel and Hardy On Stage" and "Edgar Kennedy - Master of the Slow Burn", and also the dvd set called "Becoming Charley Chase".

Not bad at all!

I don't have any of that stuff, but they'd all be cool gifts. 

I got the Keaton MGM films on DVD I did not yet have (unless if you count beat up old VHS tapes off television), and with gift cards, went on a spree of classic comedy.  A 9 film Wheeler and Woolsey collection, a 10 film Bob Hope collection (for $13.99!), TILLIE AND GUS and MISSISSIPPI from W.C. Fields, the latter of which I've yet to see, and THE EXTRA GIRL, a Mack Sennett produced silent comedy feature that stars Mabel Normand.  I've been meaning to check that out for years. 

Like I said above, having a 12/24 birthday makes this two holidays for me, but I made out alright.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

My sister and her husband bought me the Classic Shorts from The Dream Factory Vol 3, all the Stooges MGM shorts.
I was thrilled, can't wait to watch Hello Pop! for the first time this weekend!
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

My sister and her husband bought me the Classic Shorts from The Dream Factory Vol 3, all the Stooges MGM shorts.
I was thrilled, can't wait to watch Hello Pop! for the first time this weekend!

I still haven't gotten around to this set yet.  Please tell us what you think, I've only heard a few opinions over HELLO POP on this site.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Justin T

I still haven't gotten around to this set yet.  Please tell us what you think, I've only heard a few opinions over HELLO POP on this site.

I will post a review of it for sure, I haven't seen many opinions on it yet myself.
"Moronica must expand! We must lend our neighbors a helping hand. We must lend them two helping hands, and help ourselves to our neighbors!"
Moe in "You Natzi Spy!"

Larry: Say, when I come back I’ll give you a password.
Moe: Brilliant, what’ll it be?
Larry: Open The Door!
"Studio Stoops"

Offline metaldams

The James Neibaur Keaton book I mentioned above, which came out in 2010, mentions the swearing on the oath courtroom scene that appears in both Keaton's Jules White/Zion Myers directed SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK (1932) and DISORDER IN THE COURT.  Mr. Neibaur does a nice complimentary piece on Curly's interpretation and mentions the difference in comic styles between Keaton and Curly.  I found the piece to be quite refreshing, as in decades past, Curly and The Three Stooges would not even merit a mention in a Keaton article.  Nice to see The Three Stooges get a level of respect.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

I got SOOOOOOO much good comedy stuff. I wasn't sure if The Muppets falled into the comedy category, since it's more of a recent sort of thing, but I'm a Muppet mega-fan, so I figured I'd put all my Muppet stuff in.

Muppets:

Jim Henson: The Works
Jim Henson's Muppet Stories: Stories to Grow On
Jim Henson's Tale of Sand
Swedish Chef, Rowlf, and Animal stuffed animals
Miss Piggy puppet
Dinner with former Jim Henson employee
( Every year, for some weird reason, my friends and family give me Muppet stuffed animals)

Three Stooges:

The Three Stooges: Hollywood Filming Locations
The Three Stooges scrapbook

Laurel and Hardy:

Laurel and Hardy: From the Forties Forward
March of the Wooden Soldiers
The Laurel and Hardy Collection v.1

Abbott and Costello:

Abbott and Costello: The Complete Collection

The Marx Brothers:

The Marx Brothers Encyclopedia
All the Brothers' films with Zeppo

Disney:

Mickey's A Christmas Carol
Disney's Christmas Stories

So, yeah, I got a ton of stuff from my friends and family this year!
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!