Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Spade Cooley Rockin' in the Rockies

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I am enjoying my ultimate TS collection I got for a smidgeon of the price paid by you guys a few years ago, and I am watching "Rockin' in the Rockies". And right away I see in the credits that Spade Cooley is listed as "King of Western Swing", to which I have always associated THAT title to Bob Wills and his band. After watching the movie, I feel that Spade was actually the first warbler of western swing ... although Bob Wills took it to much greater heights with introducing "scat" and other musical genres into the swing envelope. We will now rename Spade Cooley as "The Father of Western Swing" and leave Bob Wills his legendary title as "The King of Western Swing".
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
(Oh, my darling wife [Svengarlic - I DID marry her!] found the ultimate collection for only @(.)) dollars on a rack at Best Buy returning from a trip to the potty while we were buying 3D glasses to share the viewing of a copy of "Godzilla" at their house. It seems that the "Ultimate Collection" didn't turn out to be so "ultimate". It is true that this collection is not the "complete" because there is only two stooge movies ... the afore mentioned "Rockin' in the Rockies" and the "Have Rocket - Will Travel")

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
It is interesting when I began searching Spade Cooley, he dubbed himself as the “King of Western Swing”, and his contemporary Bob Wills did not do that. It seems (as far as internet truth goes) that Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys gained that title from an adoring public.  However, there are strange things lurking in the Stooges closet that perhaps even BeaStooge or Piper or Dunrobin may not have known about ... Spade Cooley had a seemingly enduring career until he was convicted of murdering his second wife.
(Copied from the “never wrong” internet)
Cooley suspected his second wife, Ella Mae, 38, who was a singer in his band, of repeatedly being unfaithful. In March 1961, she told a friend she'd had an affair with Roy Rogers in 1952 or 1953, who then reported that back to Cooley. On March 23, Cooley filed for divorce, citing "incompatibility" and seeking custody of their three children.
On April 26, 1961, Cooley was indicted by a grand jury for the murder of his wife on April 3 at the couple's home. Cooley's 14-year-old daughter, Melody, reportedly told the jury she watched in terror as her father beat her mother's head against the floor, stomped on her stomach, then crushed a lit cigarette against her skin to see whether she was dead. Cooley claimed his wife had been injured by falling in the shower, and was convicted of first-degree murder by a Kern County jury on August 21, 1961 after unexpectedly withdrawing an insanity plea. He was spared death in the gas chamber and sentenced to life in prison.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Also in fact ... Dennis Quaid is supposedly directing and starring in a movie about Spade Cooley's life titled "Shame on You" (one of Spade Cooley's hit songs) ... release date yet undetermined (as far as my internet searching went)

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
As an aside ... I was unable to copy ANY picture of Spade Cooley into my previous posts (denied!) and then paste (my simple Windows availability) ... but just search his name and you can see him.

Offline Signor Spumoni

(Oh, my darling wife [Svengarlic - I DID marry her]

Thank you for answering Sven's query.  I, too, wondered if you two wed.  The way you replied sounds as if you're both very happy.  That's nice!   :)