Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A Night In Casablanca (1946) - The Marx Brothers

Offline NoahYoung

Our reviews and opinions of the films are just as valid as any of the authors who managed to get their books published. Before the internet, when a movie was released to the theaters, most people read exactly one review of it -- in whichever newspaper they happened to buy. Siskel and Ebert's variously-named TV shows were very helpful in that you often got opposing opinions from those guys.

Authors' often-wrong evaluations of films in their various books never stopped me from viewing the films when they came on TV. The only influence books had on me seeing films were those of Laurel and Hardy, since I would buy them on Super 8 film, perhaps one or 2 a year, and given the price, one had to be selective. That was the only way I was able to see many of the shorts of L&H. Years later I was pissed when I saw some L&Hs (when they were more easily avaiable on VHS) that I thought were great but had avoided for years buying since the various authors trashed them!

Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline NoahYoung

My DVD review of "A Night in Casablanca."

https://web.archive.org/web/20220518121646/http://worldcinemaparadise.com/2014/05/28/dvd-review-a-night-in-casablanca-1946/

That's a spot-on review. The reason they made this may not have been because Chico needed the money, but nevertheless, Chico did need the money. His frightened looks and screams in the last scenes were probably similar to the ones he made while running from the mobsters to whom he owed gambling debts!  >:D

I had heard after the stock market crash in 1929, Chico was unphased, since he had long before found alternate ways to lose money. In 1929, he basically had no money to lose in the stock market!

In THE MARX BROTHERS SCRAPBOOK, Groucho claims he lost at least $50,000 in the Goldman-Sachs stock he had invested in. He blamed Eddie Cantor for giving him the tip to invest in it.

Has anyone seen the latest ClassicFlix "restoration" of this movie. How much better could they have made this look? Although in HD, I found that there was a previous blu-ray release before the ClassicFlix one.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Has anyone seen the latest ClassicFlix "restoration" of this movie? How much better could they have made this look?

I have the ClassicFlix Blu-ray and it looks fine, but the remaster is not a significant improvement over the DVD — there's only so much you can do when the 35mm print was in excellent condition to begin with. However, there are two new extras: four minutes of radio commercials promoting "A Night in Casablanca" and a 1945 audio excerpt of the Marxes trying out "Casablanca" material in front of a live audience.

Offline NoahYoung

I have the ClassicFlix Blu-ray and it looks fine, but the remaster is not a significant improvement over the DVD — there's only so much you can do when the 35mm print was in excellent condition to begin with. However, there are two new extras: four minutes of radio commercials promoting "A Night in Casablanca" and a 1945 audio excerpt of the Marxes trying out "Casablanca" material in front a live audience.

I guess it's not much better than the earlier blu-ray either.

Maybe it's just me, or the size of my TV, but when I watch a DVD vs. something streaming in 1080 (though not the same film), I don't notice much of a differerence.  IMHO, HD or better is a placebo unless you have a giant wall-to-wall TV.

Regarding extras -- I was so disappointed when I got the Paramount DVD boxset almost 20  years ago that had a 6th disc of extras -- which in total ran less than a half hour! How long do the excerpts of the live tour run?

Offline NoahYoung

The audio excerpt runs six minutes.

Thanks. So 10 minutes of extras. Woohoo! [pie]

Offline NoahYoung

OK, for me, I declare A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA better than ANIMAL CRACKERS! I will post my thoughts about the latter in the latter's thread.

Feel free to [protest], but it's IMHO, and I'm sticking to it!