Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2015 MLB Thread

metaldams · 153 · 25100

Offline Lefty

Happy 119th (?) birthday, Lefty.

Thanks, metaladams.  In case you and the millions -- AND MILLIONS -- of Lefty's fans are wondering, the 119 is my physical age.  Two things that happened to me that may have been 30 years ahead of schedule makes that number seem like a reality.  Or, I really am older than my maternal grandparents.   ::)

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Mets on the receiving end of a no-no last night--the NL East as a whole looks rather putrid. 82 games may be enough this year to win the division...

:-\
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

The Mets on the receiving end of a no-no last night--the NL East as a whole looks rather putrid. 82 games may be enough this year to win the division...

I really thought the Mets would do better after their hot start and their pitching. 

As far as Boston, offensively inept, just nobody in the middle of the order producing.  However, this Eduardo Rodriguez kid they got pitching?  After three starts, he's 2 - 0, 0.44 ERA, and he's only 22. I hope he's the real deal, great start so far, and he has poise out there in tough situations.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

I really thought the Mets would do better after their hot start and their pitching. 

The Mets don't face the Phillies until 8/24.  So by that time they should be in 4th place. 

Offline Lefty

After one inning last night, the Phillies trailed 6-0 in Baltimore while the Yankees were losing 8-0 in Miami.  Naturally, while the end results were the same, the Phillies did worse.  And the bad thing is, it was not the Phillies' worst loss of all time, as the Reds ripped them 22-3 in old Veterans' Stadium on 9/4/99.  I was actually hoping for a record in ineptitude.  In fact, if the Phillies win just 3 more games all season, next week at the Bronx, that would be fine with me.  Of course, ownership will never make any effort to clean up the Ruin Tomorrow Jr. and Company mess, because "The Phillies Way" says profits before victories.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
After one inning last night, the Phillies trailed 6-0 in Baltimore while the Yankees were losing 8-0 in Miami.  Naturally, while the end results were the same, the Phillies did worse.  And the bad thing is, it was not the Phillies' worst loss of all time, as the Reds ripped them 22-3 in old Veterans' Stadium on 9/4/99.  I was actually hoping for a record in ineptitude.  In fact, if the Phillies win just 3 more games all season, next week at the Bronx, that would be fine with me.  Of course, ownership will never make any effort to clean up the Ruin Tomorrow Jr. and Company mess, because "The Phillies Way" says profits before victories.

Well, the Phillies have several mortal enemies... all within their own lines!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Lefty

Al Bundy once said, "Much like our 'roids, they come back with a vengeance."  He wasn't talking about Phillippe Aumont, but he may as well have been.  Posters on philly.com before Friday's latest (and hopefully last) disastrous performance had predicted that he would last 6 innings with 4 walks.  Well, he went 4 innings, allowed 6 runs (4 on a pair of 2-run home runs) and walked 7.  The dopey front office DFA'd him yesterday.

My prediction:  He will clear waivers, some other team will sign him to a tryout or to provide depth in the minors, and by the trade deadline, Ruin Tomorrow Jr. will acquire him straight up for Cole Hamels, because after all, Rube the Boob is still trying to save face for that horrible Cliff Lee deal after the 2009 season.  And if Booben wants to save face, he should keep the lower half shut.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, it seems like every season Cole Hamels is talked about as being "trade bait" and yet he never goes anywhere--will 2015 be any different? I can't see what keeping him on a team that may be destined for 100 losses will do, but then again, I'm not a Major League GM...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

Ryne Sandberg quit yesterday as manager of the Phillies, saying that he did not want to be in the way when supposedly a new "president" of sorts would take over from Pat Gillick.  Poissonally, I think his health was affected by the losing by the team and the ineptitude of GM Ruin Tomorrow Jr., who had everything to do with the team being odds-on favorites for next year's #1 draft choice.  Rube the Boob even had the unmitigated temerity to say that he felt responsible for the team's play.  Sure, Booben, you can say that because the nameless, faceless owners have given you lifetime security with the team!

FYI, the last time a Phillies' manager quit was in 1960, when Eddie Sawyer decided he had had enough, saying, "I'm 49 and I want to live to be 50."  He did the right thing, because in 1961, the Phillies went 47-107 with a modern-record 23-game losing streak.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

That was a pretty good All-Star game Tuesday--the highlight for me was deGrom coming in and making quick work of the batters he faced. And Chapman of the Reds wasn't too bad either.

Of course, the AL won & I think the stat I heard during the broadcast was that 5 of the last 6 World Series winners were the teams who secured home field.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

So, was that Cole Hamels last start as a Phillie--if so, what a way to go out, no hitter...

Offline Lefty

Cole Hamels has had no-hit stuff, but never really came close to pitching one -- last year was a combined no-hitter in Atlanta by 4 pitchers. 

Those two catches by Odubel Herrera were quite nerve-wracking as I was watching it.  Fortunately, #35 got his no-no at long last.

There is no way the Phillies should trade him without getting back at least 3 superstars.  There is no guarantee the Phillies will ever amount to anything any time in his future, but a decent GM would not give him away, not today, not by the trade deadline, not in the off-season.  Of course, Ruin Tomorrow Jr. is the dumbest GM in baseball history, so he'll probably trade Hamels to Toronto even up for Phillippe Aumont, the last loser from the Cliff Lee trade, whom the Phillies finally jettisoned last month.

The Skankees want Hamels, but they don't want to give up their best prospect Aaron Judge, so the Phillies should say to them, "No Cole for you."

Some imbecile on the radio said that it was the first time the Cubs had been shut out (instead of no-hit) in 50 years.  That would be quite a remarkable feat, considering that (1) the record for not being shut out is about two years' worth of games, (B) being no-hit does not guarantee a shutout, and (Third) the Phillies blanked the Cubs 13-0 at Wrigley Field the day before the 23-22 "Shootout in Chicago" in 1979.

Offline metaldams

Cole Hamels has had no-hit stuff, but never really came close to pitching one -- last year was a combined no-hitter in Atlanta by 4 pitchers. 

Those two catches by Odubel Herrera were quite nerve-wracking as I was watching it.  Fortunately, #35 got his no-no at long last.

There is no way the Phillies should trade him without getting back at least 3 superstars.  There is no guarantee the Phillies will ever amount to anything any time in his future, but a decent GM would not give him away, not today, not by the trade deadline, not in the off-season.  Of course, Ruin Tomorrow Jr. is the dumbest GM in baseball history, so he'll probably trade Hamels to Toronto even up for Phillippe Aumont, the last loser from the Cliff Lee trade, whom the Phillies finally jettisoned last month.

The Skankees want Hamels, but they don't want to give up their best prospect Aaron Judge, so the Phillies should say to them, "No Cole for you."

Some imbecile on the radio said that it was the first time the Cubs had been shut out (instead of no-hit) in 50 years.  That would be quite a remarkable feat, considering that (1) the record for not being shut out is about two years' worth of games, (B) being no-hit does not guarantee a shutout, and (Third) the Phillies blanked the Cubs 13-0 at Wrigley Field the day before the 23-22 "Shootout in Chicago" in 1979.

I was hanging out with a Phillie fan friend yesterday (well, a fair weathered one, he'd be the first to admit it), and we watched the last four innings when I told him a no hitter was going on.  I also mentioned this is the best thing to happen to the Phils, as the short term accomplishment could up Hamels trade value.  We shall see.  You're right, the Phils better get a good deal, or nothing at all.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

1.  Jonathan Papelbon traded for Phillippe Aumont 2.0.
2.  Ben Revere traded for two pitchers who may possibly average one walk per two innings pitched if they improve -- or if they ever make it.
3.  Cole Hamels traded for one broken-down pitcher and 5 may-eventually-make-the-big-leagues-but-will-never-amount-to-much players.

True, the Phillies have been the best team in baseball since the All-Star break, with no pressure at all except to avoid the 1962 Mets' futility, but that does not change the fact that Ruin Tomorrow Jr. is the worst GM in sports history.  And the dopey owners will probably give him an extension on his contract, which expires after this year, not taking into account how bad he has been over the past 5.5 years.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Maybe all the deals the Mets made before the trade deadline was the shot in the arm the team needed--Mets beating the crap out of the Fish as I type....

Offline metaldams

Like this season can get any worse as a Red Sox fan...John Farrell, the manager, has stage 1 lymphoma.  They caught it early, thank God, but he'll be doing chemo and will be out the rest of the year.  I wish him well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Like this season can get any worse as a Red Sox fan...John Farrell, the manager, has stage 1 lymphoma.  They caught it early, thank God, but he'll be doing chemo and will be out the rest of the year.  I wish him well.

The news about John has apparently fired up the BoSox offense. 34 runs adding today and yesterday, my my...

Offline metaldams

The news about John has apparently fired up the BoSox offense. 34 runs adding today and yesterday, my my...

37 runs, actually!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Another no-hitter this season--what is that, 5 now. And the beauty of it is, you never know who's going to throw one & it doesn't have to be a top-flight pitcher to do it--I mean, I can't even remember the name of the kid who no-hit the Mets earlier this season...

???

Offline Lefty

Another no-hitter this season--what is that, 5 now. And the beauty of it is, you never know who's going to throw one & it doesn't have to be a top-flight pitcher to do it--I mean, I can't even remember the name of the kid who no-hit the Mets earlier this season...

???

Chris Heston of the Giants no-hit the Mets.  As for Mike Fiers, whom the Phillies beat up on many times in his Brewers' career, a story on msn.com stated that a substance on his glove may have been pine tar.  If that is true, then the no-no could be tainted, but Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley would have made lots of outs anyway.

Offline Lefty

The theoretical, always subject-to-change-but-never-did-in-past-years 2016 MLB schedule has been decided upon, and the stupidity of the scheduling group (human or machine) continues.  From the crew who gave the Phillies 3 series in Yankee Stadium in the past 6 years, next year will be the 3rd midweek series in Minnesota in 5 years, with no home games for the Phillies against those teams.  I would not be surprised if it's 4 night games in L.A., 4 games in St. Louis, and 4 home games with Pittsburgh for the 3rd straight year.

On the positive side, the Phillies will have their first-ever weekend series against Cleveland (starting on my birthday while I am bowling), their first-ever weekday series in Detroit, a home-and-home set with Toronto in June,  and at least one weekend series at Taxpayer Field in Flushing, Queens, unlike this year and in 2012.

Besides interleague play and Memorial Day weekend in Wrigley Field, the Phillies open at Cincinnati and have their home opener the following week against San Diego.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Offline metaldams

This should make Lefty's day...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13623651/philadelphia-phillies-dismiss-general-manager-ruben-amaro-jr

I give Lefty respect for being a fan through the rough times.  Most Philly sports fans I know, very admittedly, only follow whatever Philadelphia sports team is doing the best at the moment.  Still, no more random Ruin Amaro, Jr. comments in the short reviews, a part of this board just died.   I only say that half jokingly, I really enjoyed those comments.

Speaking of The Phillies, this Dave Buchanan guy, he has an ERA over 9 and has thrown almost 50 innings.  How the Hell do you let a young, cost controlled pitcher throw that many innings with that ERA?

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

This should make Lefty's day...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13623651/philadelphia-phillies-dismiss-general-manager-ruben-amaro-jr

I found out about this around 2:15 or so.  Am I happy with this?  Several possible answers:

Curly:  "Soitenly!"

Stone Cold Steve Austin:  "Oh, hell, yeah!"

Daniel Bryan:  "YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!"

Harry Kalas:  "He's outta here!"

Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley:  "I'll see it when I believe it."

Lefty:  "The only things in Phillies' history that were any better were the two World Series championships."

Offline Lefty

I give Lefty respect for being a fan through the rough times.  Most Philly sports fans I know, very admittedly, only follow whatever Philadelphia sports team is doing the best at the moment.  Still, no more random Ruin Amaro, Jr. comments in the short reviews, a part of this board just died.   I only say that half jokingly, I really enjoyed those comments.

Speaking of The Phillies, this Dave Buchanan guy, he has an ERA over 9 and has thrown almost 50 innings.  How the Hell do you let a young, cost controlled pitcher throw that many innings with that ERA?

I wish I did not have to make those comments.  I would not have had any problem if Rube the Boob had been the best GM in Phillies' history.

As for Buck Buchanan, typical Amaro idiocy -- and that of the coaches, scouts, etc.

Oh yeah -- how about the timing of the firing -- not until the Phillies were mathematically eliminated from the post-season.