Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Cocoanuts (1929) The Marx Brothers

metaldams · 40 · 12838

Offline HomokHarcos

I'm finished with Laurel and Hardy, and will now move on to the Marx Brothers! I had watched through all of their movies for the first time earlier this year, and found the Paramount period to be their best. The Cocoanuts is a stage adaptation of their Broadway play. Being an early talkie and being based on a play gives this movie a very stagey feel, though I am glad it was filmed so it can can be preserved. I only wish they also filmed I'll Say She Is. It's evident that the Marx Brothers were a team made for sound, as they have excellent verbal routines in this movie such as the why a duck scene. The opening scene in the hotel lobby is my favorite, and I can remember when I first watched it how much I liked Harpo. My favorite type of comedy is physical/slapstick, so Harpo is my favorite Marx. Then there's the auction scene where Chico is in on the job with Groucho, but messes up by making it so high that nobody will make a buy.

My main complaint of this movie was that Zeppo was hardly noticeable at all. What I think they should have done is just use him as the romantic lead, I mean most of their movies have romantic couples anyway, it would have been better if it was a Marx that was part of the story and not just some random actor. I don't think Zeppo would have wanted to just be  the straight man, but he would have gotten more screen time if that was the case.

Offline metaldams

I'm finished with Laurel and Hardy, and will now move on to the Marx Brothers! I had watched through all of their movies for the first time earlier this year, and found the Paramount period to be their best. The Cocoanuts is a stage adaptation of their Broadway play. Being an early talkie and being based on a play gives this movie a very stagey feel, though I am glad it was filmed so it can can be preserved. I only wish they also filmed I'll Say She Is. It's evident that the Marx Brothers were a team made for sound, as they have excellent verbal routines in this movie such as the why a duck scene. The opening scene in the hotel lobby is my favorite, and I can remember when I first watched it how much I liked Harpo. My favorite type of comedy is physical/slapstick, so Harpo is my favorite Marx. Then there's the auction scene where Chico is in on the job with Groucho, but messes up by making it so high that nobody will make a buy.

My main complaint of this movie was that Zeppo was hardly noticeable at all. What I think they should have done is just use him as the romantic lead, I mean most of their movies have romantic couples anyway, it would have been better if it was a Marx that was part of the story and not just some random actor. I don't think Zeppo would have wanted to just be  the straight man, but he would have gotten more screen time if that was the case.

Zeppo was one of the great mysteries of film history.  You’re right, useless in this film.  He does get to do more in the Thelma Todd films.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

I don't think Zeppo was particularly happy being a straight man. I think that's why he left the group after Duck Soup.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

The preview version of "The Cocoanuts" ran 140 minutes (a pity it doesn't exist). Zeppo's role was cut down, which also happened in "Duck Soup."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 11:36:39 PM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline Allen Champion

THE COCOANUTS is justly celebrated all over the world as the screen debut of Barton Maclane!   Oh yes, and the Four Ritz Brothers ("Now, they're really funny!") Manny, Moe, and Jack.

I love THE COCOANUTS as a filmed record of a Broadway show.  I wish they had done more of them.   I'll never see Bernard Gorcey in ABBIE'S IRISH ROSE or Lionel Atwill in THE DAISY CHAIN . . .  oh, wait a minute.

Did I mention Barton Maclane is in this?  And maybe Zeppo.

I watched this with my hi skule sweetheart way back in 1977 and she loved the part where Harpo offered Mary Eaton a lick of his lollypop, and that leads me to a story so dirty I have to stop . . .

"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline metaldams

THE COCOANUTS is justly celebrated all over the world as the screen debut of Barton Maclane!   Oh yes, and the Four Ritz Brothers ("Now, they're really funny!") Manny, Moe, and Jack.

I love THE COCOANUTS as a filmed record of a Broadway show.  I wish they had done more of them.   I'll never see Bernard Gorcey in ABBIE'S IRISH ROSE or Lionel Atwill in THE DAISY CHAIN . . .  oh, wait a minute.

Did I mention Barton Maclane is in this?  And maybe Zeppo.

I watched this with my hi skule sweetheart way back in 1977 and she loved the part where Harpo offered Mary Eaton a lick of his lollypop, and that leads me to a story so dirty I have to stop . . .

I showed my ex the intro to HORSE FEATHERS and was met with a blank stare.  Sounds like I showed her the wrong scene!  [pie]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

A sign of aging:  Watching this film, thinking Margaret Dumont doesn’t look like an old lady anymore and then realizing she’s not much older than you.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Worse, she was 22 years YOUNGER than me when she made Cocoanuts!
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline metaldams

Worse, she was 22 years YOUNGER than me when she made Cocoanuts!

Makes you a few years younger than my Dad…and Margret Dumont in this film the same age as my ex.

I’m noticing when you start watching these films for a few decades, interpretations of people and events in them drastically change.  I expect this trend to continue.
- Doug Sarnecky

I remember the day when I saw that both Stan and Ollie were younger than I was, in fact by quite a few years.  Yecccchhhh.  Then I watched Great Guns, in which Ollie takes quite a few good hard falls, when he was - what? - 45?  I would have busted my rib cage at that age, I don't care what kind of padding was involved.  Then there's the scene in Utopia where Ollie is trying to help Stan down a ladder, they get tangled up, and both take a good hard fall, both being at least 60  at the time, no doubles.  Giants.

Gee, look at this, the new format seems to accept my posts.  I'm better at the stooges than the other teams, but I might start contributing again, if for no other reason than to get my number up to an even 1000, which I realize isn't a mote on you intelligent  3000+ imbeciles.

Offline metaldams

I’m glad you can post again, Big Chief! 

I think Buster Keaton would have been a year or two older than me when he did the Columbia shorts and it really is amazing the falls he was still taking.  In addition to looking at the female actresses a bit differently (previous beauties look like daughters and previous old maids look like girlfriends), appreciating the physical capabilities of the aging comedians definitely grows through the years. 
- Doug Sarnecky

I've shared stages off and on with very funny performers who were tremendous athletes, to the extent that it was a toss-up whether they were comedians who were world-class natural athletes, or athletes who were also naturally hilarious human beings.  A guy named Reg Bacon is one, and a guy named Fred Garbo was another, Garbo going from working the sticks with me directly to Broadway in the musical Barnum.  Obviously Buster, Chaplin, Lloyd, and even very heavy guys like Arbuckle and Oliver Hardy were in this category, world-class athletes/comedians both, and you realize eventually why they reached that rarefied air of superstardom: hardly anyone alive can do it.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
I've shared stages off and on with very funny performers who were tremendous athletes, to the extent that it was a toss-up whether they were comedians who were world-class natural athletes, or athletes who were also naturally hilarious human beings.  A guy named Reg Bacon is one, and a guy named Fred Garbo was another, Garbo going from working the sticks with me directly to Broadway in the musical Barnum.  Obviously Buster, Chaplin, Lloyd, and even very heavy guys like Arbuckle and Oliver Hardy were in this category, world-class athletes/comedians both, and you realize eventually why they reached that rarefied air of superstardom: hardly anyone alive can do it.

Chief, you mean this Fred Garbo?

I'm a huge Muppet/Henson fan/buff, and I find it quite awesome that you once worked with one of the men who played Barkley! Neat!
"With oranges, it's much harder..."