Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Attention all Shemp fans!

Baggie · 13 · 5133

Offline Baggie

I know a lot of you already know about this link, but anyhow, a guy runs a website about non-stooge Columbia two reelers, and you can choose six shorts of your choice on video tape for $15.00 with free postage. A few of Shemp Howard's solo series are in here, plus a couple he did with Andy Clyde, a couple he did in the "Gun Slingers" series, and "Pick A Peck Of Plumbers." If you are interested, try this link:-

http://columbiacomedyshorts.tripod.com/halfwaytohollywoodthecolumbiashortsdepartment/id1.html

enjoy looking up the Shemp stuff you can buy, plus loads of other comedians' stuff.

Also, if you go on www.moviesunlimited.com, and search for actor 'Shemp Howard,' amongst other things it will come up with three Shemp videos, which are called "Shemp steps in,""Mondo Shemp," and "Shemp's Night Out." Included on these $14.99 videos are some interesting features and shorts, such as 'Dizzy And Daffy' 'In The Dough' 'Close Relations' 'Why Pay Rent?' and 'The Choke's On You,' a Joe Palooka short where Shemp plays Knobby. There are other things too on these videos.

Just thought I'd spread the word to Shemp fans who don't already know these sites. Enjoy!   :P
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Pilsner Panther

I know a lot of you already know about this link, but anyhow, a guy runs a website about non-stooge Columbia two reelers, and you can choose six shorts of your choice on video tape for $15.00 with free postage. A few of Shemp Howard's solo series are in here, plus a couple he did with Andy Clyde, a couple he did in the "Gun Slingers" series, and "Pick A Peck Of Plumbers." If you are interested, try this link:-

http://columbiacomedyshorts.tripod.com/halfwaytohollywoodthecolumbiashortsdepartment/id1.html

enjoy looking up the Shemp stuff you can buy, plus loads of other comedians' stuff.

Also, if you go on www.moviesunlimited.com, and search for actor 'Shemp Howard,' amongst other things it will come up with three Shemp videos, which are called "Shemp steps in,""Mondo Shemp," and "Shemp's Night Out." Included on these $14.99 videos are some interesting features and shorts, such as 'Dizzy And Daffy' 'In The Dough' 'Close Relations' 'Why Pay Rent?' and 'The Choke's On You,' a Joe Palooka short where Shemp plays Knobby. There are other things too on these videos.

Just thought I'd spread the word to Shemp fans who don't already know these sites. Enjoy!   :P

There's also this site, which I just came across:

http://www.happyvideo.biz/

This vendor seems to have a lot of the same material, like the Columbia Keaton shorts. Unfortunately, you can't tell which vendor has the best quality prints until you actually buy them.

I had a bad experience with moviesunlimited.com a couple of times, and I don't buy from them any more. First, I bought a VHS tape of Laurel & Hardy's "Sons of the Desert" which was clearly defective, and when I returned it, they sent me another tape with the same problem (red and blue lines across the b&w picture). When I returned that one, they refunded my money, but along with a note that said, "no apparent defects in tapes."

In other words, they were returning my money, but basically calling me a liar, too.

Also, a word of warning about their "Shemp's Night Out" tape. These are not Shemp shorts, they're late Vitaphone Fatty Arbuckle shorts in which Shemp plays only bit parts. That's mislabeling, if you ask me... I kept the tape because it's of historical interest, but the shorts arent very funny (which is excusable, considering what had happened to Fatty's career).

In any case, a woid to the wise guys: I wouldn't recommend doing business with moviesunlimited.com, at least not when it comes to vintage films.

>:(

« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 05:17:35 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline Baggie

Thanks for the advice and info there Pils. I don't want to get ripped of by em.'

Pilsner Panther

Thanks for the advice and info there Pils. I don't want to get ripped off by em.'

Super soivice!... nyuk nyuk nyuk!

;)

Offline NYnyuk

Yes, Halfway to Hollywood, the site dedicated to non-Stooge Columbia shorts is indeed a great site, however the guy who runs it seems to have gone AWOL. I have been trying to contact him for over a year in the hope of purchasing some of what he has available. I have also contacted other collectors who have also been unable to contact him. If this guy reappears, and is a reliable source for these films that would be great. If that happens I hope someone will post it here.

Offline Baggie

Indeed he hasn't replied to my e-mails yet, so this may be true that he has gone AWOL, but I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Offline Baggie

Aww I'm a bit sad that my original optimistic post about the links has all gone a bit pissy and crap. I thought I might be on to a winner with those links, but alas they appeared to be shite!

Pilsner Panther

Aww I'm a bit sad that my original optimistic post about the links has all gone a bit pissy and crap. I thought I might be on to a winner with those links, but alas they appeared to be shite!

Well, I haven't tried Happy Video yet, but at least the guy who runs it is honest enough to say on his site that his tapes are sold as is, "from collector to collector." That's a good sign, that he levels with his potential customers.

I'll probably buy some tapes from him, but not until after the holidays (when I can afford it). I'll give the board a thumbs-up or thumbs down on his service and the quality of the tapes, when I do.

Offline Baggie

Thanks Pils, let me know. I can't find any Shemp stuff on 'Happy Video' though, does anyone know where I can get some of the Shemp Howard shorts, escpecially from his Columbia solo series? Does anyone know how I can contact the Columbia guy who has them who has contacted him before? I'd be v. grateful if anyone could let me know. Cheers, Sarah.

Offline mrhoward

wellmI certainly know about movies unlimited, I ordered a stoooges video from them. I never did get it plus they said that thet did not receive my moner order! so thanks for this info.

Offline Genius In the Lamp

• Unofficial genealogist of pretty blonde daughters of Canadian mining engineers
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
I've even lost touch with Greg, and I did get a couple of tapes from him.  The picture is a bit bright (although the Hugh Herbert shorts came out OK), and there was an awkward edit in my Harry Langdon short, but that aside, he was on the up-and-up as far as my dealings with him were concerned.

Also, Bill's having computer issues, so that's why his website hasn't been updated since last April.
"I like very much your English punk rock stars, you know, your Lulu, your Dave Clark Five!"  - Jerzy Balowski

titmouse

would be willing to trade the ed wynn show complete with  helen forest and the stooges for 2 missing columbia shorts from my shemp collection- #133  Merry Mavericks and #155 Pals and Gals. ???

Offline Robbie883

They sell the Merry Maverics DvD for about 18 bucks at any video store.