Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The silent film thread

metaldams · 62 · 14208

Offline Svengarlic

The 1910 FRANKENSTEIN monster looks goofy to me.  I'll put it to you this way, the majority of silent films pre BIRTH OF A NATION, minus the occasional early Italian feature epic, is usually more historically interesting than entertaining to me.

Was it the Phil Specter 'do or the 'crazy clown' greasepaint?

Offline Signor Spumoni

Thanks for posting that photo, Sven.  I didn't have the time to post one earlier, so I appreciate that.

I always thought it was a goofy looking monster, too, but I wondered what others thought.  I would love to know what moviegoers of the time thought of the monster.

Offline Signor Spumoni

By the way, when it comes to the two most famous movies dealing with this transition of the film industry, I'll be controversial and take THE ARTIST over SINGING IN THE RAIN anyday.  The former feels respectful, the latter mocking.  Those were the impressions I came away with.

Thank you for mentioning "The Artist."  It's the first I heard of it.  I'm very much interested in seeing it now.  I always took "Singing' In the Rain" as being playful, but I think I can see how it could come across as mocking.

Offline Svengarlic

Don't feel bad, Sig...The Artist rings no bells for me either.

Returning to topic, Nosferatu is a silent that I think is just too dated to enjoy. I saw the Klaus Kinski remake and it was was unimpressive. The third version with a twist, probably inspired by the Lugosi film (title unremembered) where at the end you find that it's a movie within a movie, Shadow of the Vampire was watchable.

They probably hired Willem DeFoe for the role because he required very little make up.  ;)

Offline metaldams

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Artist_(film)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655442/?ref_=nv_sr_1

THE ARTIST is an award winning silent film made in 2011.  Like SINGING IN THE RAIN, the subject matter involves the transition period between the late silents and early talkies, a topic I'm very interested in.  Definitely check it out if you guys get a chance.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Don't feel bad, Sig...The Artist rings no bells for me either.

Returning to topic, Nosferatu is a silent that I think is just too dated to enjoy. I saw the Klaus Kinski remake and it was was unimpressive. The third version with a twist, probably inspired by the Lugosi film (title unremembered) where at the end you find that it's a movie within a movie, Shadow of the Vampire was watchable.

They probably hired Willem DeFoe for the role because he required very little make up.  ;)

Most German silents in general have more exaggerated acting styles by intent, which is what I imagine makes films like NOSFERATU seem dated.  I'm used to it so it's all fine by me, all a matter of taste.

NOSFERATU has some of the more creepy looking shots in cinema history.  The shot below the deck on the boat looking up at the creature and the part where's he's across the room going through the doorway are especially chilling.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Does anyone know where I can find out more about the Century Comedy Kids?  IMDB was no help.  Thank you.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I found this link for IMDB and the century kids by using  bing ... hope it helps
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1349958/
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

My favorite silent film comedian is probably Fatty Arbuckle, who everybody knows for his scandal of 1921. After, his scandal he tried to make a comeback ( believe it or not, some of the comeback movies with Shemp) except sadly died of a heart attack on the same day Vitaphone granted his wish to become a feature-film star.
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Signor Spumoni

My favorite silent film comedian is probably Fatty Arbuckle, who everybody knows for his scandal of 1921. After, his scandal he tried to make a comeback ( believe it or not, some of the comeback movies with Shemp) except sadly died of a heart attack on the same day Vitaphone granted his wish to become a feature-film star.

Fatty Arbuckle was a comedic treasure, and the scandal was a tragedy, in my opinion.  Have you seen his movie, "The Garage," with Buster Keaton?  Not only is it funny, but it features a funny gag sequence which was used again decades later.  Just in case you don't know about this, I'll tell you, although it involves Buster Keaton, not FA.

If you can, watch the original "The Twilight Zone," an episode called "Once Upon A Time."  It stars Buster Keaton, and is easily my favorite episode of "The Twilight Zone."  Parts of the episode are done silent movie style.  Buster reenacts the gag sequence from "The Garage" which I mentioned earlier, with Stanley Adams taking the role originally filled by FA.  I think it's just as funny the second time around.

If you're familiar with the Our Gang/Rascals silent comedies, perhaps you remember Joe Cobb.  I don't know if he ever acted with Fatty Arbuckle, but it would have been a good pairing because of their resemblance to one another; admittedly, some of that resemblance comes from similar silent movie-era makeup and similar hair.

I don't mean to change the subject, S-I-A78.  Do you have a favorite Fatty Arbuckle movie?

Fatty Arbuckle was a comedic treasure, and the scandal was a tragedy, in my opinion.  Have you seen his movie, "The Garage," with Buster Keaton?  Not only is it funny, but it features a funny gag sequence which was used again decades later.  Just in case you don't know about this, I'll tell you, although it involves Buster Keaton, not FA.

If you can, watch the original "The Twilight Zone," an episode called "Once Upon A Time."  It stars Buster Keaton, and is easily my favorite episode of "The Twilight Zone."  Parts of the episode are done silent movie style.  Buster reenacts the gag sequence from "The Garage" which I mentioned earlier, with Stanley Adams taking the role originally filled by FA.  I think it's just as funny the second time around.

If you're familiar with the Our Gang/Rascals silent comedies, perhaps you remember Joe Cobb.  I don't know if he ever acted with Fatty Arbuckle, but it would have been a good pairing because of their resemblance to one another; admittedly, some of that resemblance comes from similar silent movie-era makeup and similar hair.

I don't mean to change the subject, S-I-A78.  Do you have a favorite Fatty Arbuckle movie?

I have never seen The Garage, but I have seen Coney Island with Buster Keaton, and think it's one of the best movies of all time. It also stars Arbuckle's cousin, Al St. John which I'm sure you've heard about.
 I've never seen The Twilight Zone, except while searching about for my information on Buster Keaton, I did find out which episode of The Twilight Zone Buster Keaton was in, although not what he does in it. I thought he played a bit of a creepy person, except now that I read your short little paragraph about his appearance, I don't think he is.
 Yes, I am very familiar with the Our Gang comedies, and know just exactly who Joe Cobb is. I think Cobb and Arbuckle would've made a fantastic teaming, as well. The only problem with that, sadly is that Cobb came shortly after the whole Arbuckle scandal thing, so they would've never worked together.
 My friend is a Chaplin fan, and I always have to explain to him that the fat man in Sunnyside is NOT FATTY ARBUCKLE!!!!!
 As you have seen above, you have probably figured out that my favorite Arbuckle movie is Coney Island. I think Fatty Arbuckle should not be recognized for his scandal, he should have been recognized for the people he worked with such as Bob Hope, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Harold Lloyd before each of them ( except Chaplin) were famous!

Offline Signor Spumoni

I have never seen The Garage, but I have seen Coney Island with Buster Keaton, and think it's one of the best movies of all time. It also stars Arbuckle's cousin, Al St. John which I'm sure you've heard about.
 I've never seen The Twilight Zone, except while searching about for my information on Buster Keaton, I did find out which episode of The Twilight Zone Buster Keaton was in, although not what he does in it. I thought he played a bit of a creepy person, except now that I read your short little paragraph about his appearance, I don't think he is.
 Yes, I am very familiar with the Our Gang comedies, and know just exactly who Joe Cobb is. I think Cobb and Arbuckle would've made a fantastic teaming, as well. The only problem with that, sadly is that Cobb came shortly after the whole Arbuckle scandal thing, so they would've never worked together.
 My friend is a Chaplin fan, and I always have to explain to him that the fat man in Sunnyside is NOT FATTY ARBUCKLE!!!!!
 As you have seen above, you have probably figured out that my favorite Arbuckle movie is Coney Island. I think Fatty Arbuckle should not be recognized for his scandal, he should have been recognized for the people he worked with such as Bob Hope, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Harold Lloyd before each of them ( except Chaplin) were famous!

Well, S-I-A78, I've not seen "Coney Island," but I'll watch it if I can find it on youtube.  If you watch "The Garage," which is on youtube, I hope you'll like the car wash scenes.  I did.

Buster Keaton is not at all creepy in "The Twilight Zone."  It's a comedy episode!  :)  Buster Keaton must have worked with Stanley Adams to teach him some silent movie moves for this episode.  Of course, SA is a pro, and I  always enjoy watching him.  If you can find that episode, watch it.  I'm sure you'll like it.

I didn't remember when Fatty (I prefer to call him Roscoe) Arbuckle's scandal happened, so I didn't know it was after Joe Cobb came on the movie scene.  I wish FA's reputation could be fixed so that people know him for his talent and so that his innocence in the scandal is remembered, too.  But because you are a fan of FA, try to look on the bright side of things - - he was starring in a series of shorts and on his way back up the ladder when he died.  If he hadn't died young, I think he would have regained his reputation.

Offline metaldams

Will write more about Arbuckle in a bit, but here's my favorite film of his.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f1wJrXD7mvM

FATTY AND MABEL ADRIFT
- Doug Sarnecky

I didn't remember when Fatty (I prefer to call him Roscoe) Arbuckle's scandal happened, so I didn't know it was after Joe Cobb came on the movie scene.  I wish FA's reputation could be fixed so that people know him for his talent and so that his innocence in the scandal is remembered, too.  But because you are a fan of FA, try to look on the bright side of things - - he was starring in a series of shorts and on his way back up the ladder when he died.  If he hadn't died young, I think he would have regained his reputation.
Yes, he did like being called Roscoe more than Fatty a whole lot. Joe Cobb started out in Our Gang in 1922, while the Arbuckle scandal happened in 1921. They literally just mixed each other! One of the best reasons I like Arbuckle's comeback because he's in 2 shorts with my favorite Stooge, Shemp Howard!!!!! I swear, it was a match made in heaven!

http://youtu.be/KI5tFIKk1Z8

Here's the movie that actually has Shemp talking in it!

Offline metaldams

First off, the film I posted, I hope the youtube print is close to as beautiful as my DVD copy, because FATTY AND MABEL ADRIFT has some of the most beautiful shots in any silent film.  It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember some of those shadowed and tinted shots by the sea being quite breathtaking, and the film itself works as a comedy, love story, and adventure film.  Easily my favorite Arbuclkle film.

As far as assessing Roscoe, it's impossible to do.  In the teens, the guy was second to Chaplin.  He had an actual personality that extended beyond his physical appearance, was very graceful for a man his size, and worked with props very well.  He then signed to Paramount.  Based on what survives of his Paramount work, which is not much, it appears he was contractually obligated to stick to strict script stage comedies as opposed to more original material like the greats of the twenties.  Had he made more films in the twenties, who knows how he would've competed with Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd, and therein lies the problem, we'll never know.  Arbuckle was second best in the teens, but that's the equivalent to sixth or seventh best in the twenties.  A true shame we'll never know his true potential.
- Doug Sarnecky

First off, the film I posted, I hope the youtube print is close to as beautiful as my DVD copy, because FATTY AND MABEL ADRIFT has some of the most beautiful shots in any silent film.  It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember some of those shadowed and tinted shots by the sea being quite breathtaking, and the film itself works as a comedy, love story, and adventure film.  Easily my favorite Arbuclkle film.

As far as assessing Roscoe, it's impossible to do.  In the teens, the guy was second to Chaplin.  He had an actual personality that extended beyond his physical appearance, was very graceful for a man his size, and worked with props very well.  He then signed to Paramount.  Based on what survives of his Paramount work, which is not much, it appears he was contractually obligated to stick to strict script stage comedies as opposed to more original material like the greats of the twenties.  Had he made more films in the twenties, who knows how he would've competed with Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd, and therein lies the problem, we'll never know.  Arbuckle was second best in the teens, but that's the equivalent to sixth or seventh best in the twenties.  A true shame we'll never know his true potential.
I don't know if you've read My Wonderful World of Slapstick by ( believe it or not) BUSTER KEATON!!! I am reading it, and he has nothing bad to say about Arbuckle. Arbuckle seemed like a very social man, like he wanted to just hang out with people at parties and stuff like that! But, sadly, the scandal of 1921 ruined him which is too much of a shame. He doesn't deserve to be treated like that.
 Buster Keaton says about THE BUTCHER BOY (1919), " Arbuckle, who weighed 280 pounds, had established himself as a master custard-pie thrower at Mack Sennett." Strangely, I'll have to disagree on this. Arbuckle was not " that old-time comedian who threw pies" because he had more of a personality. In the beginning of the 1920's, pies were dropping out, only to have them brought back in by Laurel and Hardy in 1927.
 But, then, there's a picture of Roscoe and Buster being the best of friends with a caption saying, " Arbuckle, the best friend I ever had, taught me everything I ever knew about making movies!" They seemed like real friends, despite their age difference.
 It's really a shame about the scandal. A fat, " custard-pie throwing comedian" accused of murdering a person at a party! What's worse is it happened to some thin stars back at the day, and they got away with it even though they actually murdered people. Why did they instantly assume that Roscoe just had to do it???

Offline Signor Spumoni

S-I-A78, look at things this way:  Roscoe Arbuckle is getting far better treatment now than ever he got when he was alive.  Most people who are alive right now were born years/decades after silent movies ended.  Most people today know little or nothing about silent movies and silent movie actors.  So they never heard about Roscoe's scandals and problems.  However, those of us who "know" him through our reading have a big advantage, and that is that his whole  story is told in his biographies. 

Why did Roscoe get such bad press coverage at the time?  It's the same old story, that sensational stories sell newspapers (then) and get viewers (now).  Even if those stories are untrue or are slanted, they get attention and people accept them.  It isn't fair, of course.  Even nowadays these things occur.  You know the current "scandal" about all those deflated footballs?  There was only one such football, not many.  There are countless political stories which are reported one way when the truth is just the opposite.  And so it goes, on and on.

I prefer to look on the bright side of Roscoe's story, which is that his career was on the upswing again when he died too young, and that his true story is being told everywhere nowadays.

S-I-A78, I tried to use the link in your post about the movie with Shemp, but the video was unavailable.  However, I enjoyed watching "Coney Island" last night, and so did a sick friend who watched with me.  It really cheered him, so thanks from him, too.  Metaldams, I enjoyed "Fatty & Mable Adrift."  I guess they must have sound sleepers not to hear their house being moved!  :)

S-I-A78, look at things this way:  Roscoe Arbuckle is getting far better treatment now than ever he got when he was alive.  Most people who are alive right now were born years/decades after silent movies ended.  Most people today know little or nothing about silent movies and silent movie actors.  So they never heard about Roscoe's scandals and problems.  However, those of us who "know" him through our reading have a big advantage, and that is that his whole  story is told in his biographies. 

Why did Roscoe get such bad press coverage at the time?  It's the same old story, that sensational stories sell newspapers (then) and get viewers (now).  Even if those stories are untrue or are slanted, they get attention and people accept them.  It isn't fair, of course.  Even nowadays these things occur.  You know the current "scandal" about all those deflated footballs?  There was only one such football, not many.  There are countless political stories which are reported one way when the truth is just the opposite.  And so it goes, on and on.

I prefer to look on the bright side of Roscoe's story, which is that his career was on the upswing again when he died too young, and that his true story is being told everywhere nowadays.

S-I-A78, I tried to use the link in your post about the movie with Shemp, but the video was unavailable.  However, I enjoyed watching "Coney Island" last night, and so did a sick friend who watched with me.  It really cheered him, so thanks from him, too.  Metaldams, I enjoyed "Fatty & Mable Adrift."  I guess they must have sound sleepers not to hear their house being moved!  :)
Yeah, that is certainly true.
Back to that whole Joe Cobb thing. You know what's strange? Joe & Norman "Chubby" Chaney were supposed to be brothers in the series, but despite their fatness, they have no physical resemblance!!

Offline Signor Spumoni

Back to that whole Joe Cobb thing. You know what's strange? Joe & Norman "Chubby" Chaney were supposed to be brothers in the series, but despite their fatness, they have no physical resemblance!!

You're right, they didn't look a thing alike.  Another example of that is when Gary Jasgur played Darla's brother in "Feed 'Em and Weep."  There was no resemblance.  Then Gary played Spanky's brother in "Canned Fishing," and there was no resemblance there, either.  Gary might have been a more believable brother if he'd been matched with Alfalfa.  But that kind of mismatch happens all the time.  Look at the 1980s "Cosby Show" - - those kids looked nothing alike, and they didn't resemble the parents, either.  Same thing with "Malcolm In the Middle."  That's show biz!  :)

You're right, they didn't look a thing alike.  Another example of that is when Gary Jasgur played Darla's brother in "Feed 'Em and Weep."  There was no resemblance.  Then Gary played Spanky's brother in "Canned Fishing," and there was no resemblance there, either.  Gary might have been a more believable brother if he'd been matched with Alfalfa.  But that kind of mismatch happens all the time.  Look at the 1980s "Cosby Show" - - those kids looked nothing alike, and they didn't resemble the parents, either.  Same thing with "Malcolm In the Middle."  That's show biz!  :)
Yeah, very, very true. Say, do you belong to the Little Rascals forum? I do, & y username is buckwheatisawesome.

Offline metaldams

Couldn't have worded it better myself concerning Roscoe, Signor Spumoni.  William Randolph Hearst had newspapers to sell, the Arbuckle story made great sensationalism, and yes, this still goes on today.  I can go on rants about the media that extend well beyond a comedy board, but I'll just keep it short and say I don't trust the media on anything.  As far as the ban, the Breen-Hays Office was coming into power slowly and Arbuckle was a great scapegoat to flex their muscle.  That's how I view the whole Arbuckle scandal, that and the guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Yeah, very, very true. Say, do you belong to the Little Rascals forum? I do, & y username is buckwheatisawesome.

No, I don't belong to any Little Rascals forum.  In fact, I don't know of any.  Is it a good forum?

Metaldams, you said it well when you wrote about Roscoe, the Fourth Estate and sensationalism.  Like you, I don't trust them (news media) on anything, either. 

On a different subject, Metaldams, you're a horror buff as well as a silent movie maven.  Are there any silent horror films you recommend?  Have any favorites?

It is an incredibly great forum. It has somewhat a reminiscent nature of our Weekly Episode Discussions on one of the boards. If you type in the little rascals forum on Google, it will come up.

Offline metaldams

On a different subject, Metaldams, you're a horror buff as well as a silent movie maven.  Are there any silent horror films you recommend?  Have any favorites?

I always say THE UNKNOWN (1927) with Lon Chaney is a great place to start.  It's easy to watch as it's less than an hour, has a good story, a great Chaney performance and a young Joan Crawford.  My theory on Joan Crawford is the earlier the better, and this is pretty early.

Other good ones

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925)
THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI (1919)
NOSFERATU (1922)
THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE (1921)

Of course there are other silent horrors worth exploring, but these five give a good variety of countries and styles and are well worth checking out.
- Doug Sarnecky