Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Music Catch Basin

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
(I thought it sounded better than a "Music Sink") ... besides, George Carlin once said, "I once found a throw rug in a catch basin"

This thread is now our TS.net permanent "music" catch all ... any music trivia, music files, music videos, stories, death of music celebs, or whatever are welcome here.

I shall begin by offering two selections ...
1) Istanbul, Not Constantinople This song has always been a favorite of mine
2) The DEVO rendition of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction has also been one of my favorites that took the weird, quirky 1960's Stone's version and made it even more strange and quirky.
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline metaldams

What I've been listening to the past few days

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3t_4vPw3gNg

Black Sabbath "Looking For Today"

Anybody who resigns these guys as nothing but doom and gloom sludge should hear this.  Of course, they did doom and gloom sludge better than anybody else, but listen to how hooky this song is, and check out the woodwind instrumentation in the pre chorus.  Classic stuff.

Can't find it on YouTube, but for anybody with a streaming service, check out The Who's "Imagine a Man" off THE WHO BY NUMBERS album.  One of Daltrey's best vocal performances, and the harmonizing he does with Pete in the chorus gives me chills.  A beautifully melancholy song.

- Doug Sarnecky

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
We're off to a good start ... thanks, metaldams

Offline Svengarlic

Istanbul, Not Constantinople is a demented song. Who thinks up some shit like that? But it's catchy, and historically educational. Memory fails, but isn't the melody stolen from an older tune?

Devo's cover is better. I always liked the added word "me"; but it's impossible to dance to, unless you're on crack.

Metal's Sabbath song left me cold. I totally burned out on them after the album that included Iron Man. I'm going to search for the Who song mentioned. I'm a big Townsend fan. Always preferred his voice to Daltry's.

Offline metaldams

Giff, thanks for the Devo, I've been meaning to check them out more.

Svengarlic, we'll have to agree to disagree on Sabbath.  I think their best stuff is in the mid 70's when they were their most adventurous.  I enjoy the PARANOID album, but it's so overplayed it almost feels like Sabbath 101 at this point.  It really amazes me so many people can't get into Sabbath beyond that, but to each their own.

The Who are another great band, who like Sabbath, have more to offer than what classic rock radio tells us.  Definitely check out "Imagine a Man."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Here's "Imagine a Man" but not playable on mobile devices.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sBN5U-nA6Is
- Doug Sarnecky

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
My favorite two tunes from The Who are ...
I also like Elton John's version of Wizard for the movie "Tommy"

Offline Svengarlic

Metal, I had a feeling that I would recognize the song, but I didn't. Nice. I didn't become fan of The Who until a girlfriend played Tommy for me, and then there was the movie.

I was struck that Anne Margarette, when accepting an Oscar failed to mention the Band in her acceptance speech. That kind of thing has to be deliberate. A little later, Daltry took the stage to accept his award and spoke only 6 words: "I'd like to thank The Who"

Decades later Jessica Tandy did the same thing, thanking everybody in Hollywood for Driving Miss Daisey except Morgan Freeman. At any rate, it turns out that after Tommy, they never made another song I really liked. But I never stopped being a fan of the band itself.

Offline metaldams

Metal, I had a feeling that I would recognize the song, but I didn't. Nice. I didn't become fan of The Who until a girlfriend played Tommy for me, and then there was the movie.

I was struck that Anne Margarette, when accepting an Oscar failed to mention the Band in her acceptance speech. That kind of thing has to be deliberate. A little later, Daltry took the stage to accept his award and spoke only 6 words: "I'd like to thank The Who"

Decades later Jessica Tandy did the same thing, thanking everybody in Hollywood for Driving Miss Daisey except Morgan Freeman. At any rate, it turns out that after Tommy, they never made another song I really liked. But I never stopped being a fan of the band itself.

I was born 3 months after the death of Keith Moon, so my introduction to the Who was through heresay and just basic classic rock worship.  I remember in the mid 90's Bass Player Magazine, if memory serves correct, talking about the then new expansion of LIVE AT LEEDS, which I feel is their best album.  They did great stuff in the studio but no studio album to me truly captures the chemistry those four had together like LEEDS.  As a bassist myself and a fairly decent one, I don't consider myself one tenth the bassist John Entwistle was.  The man was from another planet.

TOMMY is great, but I think the band did so much more great stuff beyond that.  I'll throw "Love Reign O'er Me" as my favorite famous Who track, and for dark horses, besides "Imagine a Man," let's throw in "The Punk and the Godfather" and "The Song is Over."

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32DARlE4xhU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UGFFl38STBk (you can search for the studio, but I found this Kenny Jones era live version)
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

I was born 3 months after the death of Keith Moon, so my introduction to the Who was through heresay and just basic classic rock worship.  I remember in the mid 90's Bass Player Magazine, if memory serves correct, talking about the then new expansion of LIVE AT LEEDS, which I feel is their best album.  They did great stuff in the studio but no studio album to me truly captures the chemistry those four had together like LEEDS.  As a bassist myself and a fairly decent one, I don't consider myself one tenth the bassist John Entwistle was.  The man was from another planet.

TOMMY is great, but I think the band did so much more great stuff beyond that.  I'll throw "Love Reign O'er Me" as my favorite famous Who track, and for dark horses, besides "Imagine a Man," let's throw in "The Punk and the Godfather" and "The Song is Over."

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32DARlE4xhU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UGFFl38STBk (you can search for the studio, but I found this Kenny Jones era live version)
"Powerful" is an over used term in rock music, but it applies on that song. I'll check out those two songs you offered tomorrow.... with some good herb.  [cool]

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Pink Floyd – The Wall (Movie Music)
I have (after all these years, duh) just noticed that for the 1982 movie Pink Floyd added a few more songs that were not included on the 1979 album …

•   Before “In the Flesh?” comes the tune “When the Tigers Broke Free Part 1”
•   Between “Another Brick in the Wall Part 1” and “The Happiest Days of Our Lives” is “When the Tigers Broke Free Part 2”
•   Between “Empty Spaces” and “Young Lust” is “What Shall We Do Now?”
•   And after “Outside the Wall” comes “Isn’t This Where We Came In?” and “The Wall in Concert”

“The Wall” absolutely encapsulated the notion of “A concept album” and with the sound effects made it challenging to meld the three parts of “Another Brick in the Wall” and “The Happiest Days of Our Lives” into one cohesive tune … I cannot include my attempt at it here, because the file is too big even when zipped, but it runs 10 minutes and 18 seconds, and cutting it up into "parts" would destroy all my work.
Also check out this interesting Wall website.
http://www.thewallanalysis.com/main/

And ... a longtime misheard lyric of mine has been the words "No dark sarcasm in the classroom" ... I ALWAYS heard "No dog star has'em in the classroom"

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Speaking of Misheard Lyrics …

The ELO song “Don't Bring Me Down” contains the chorus ...
“Don't bring me down, grroosss”
But I SWEAR every time I hear the song it sounds to me like ...
“Don’t bring me down, Bruce”

The song "Guantanamera" is almost always listed as being misheard as "one-ton tomato" ... but I always hear it as "one-ton of Malox"

Micheal Jackson's “Remember The Time” ...
I've always heard
“Do you remember the time
Weebles fell in love?”
when more-than-likely the correct lyrics are
“Do you remember the time
We both fell in love?”
I like the misheard version better ... what cuter song IS there than thinking of Weeble love?
(I suppose I could just as easily hear “We bulls fell in love”, but same sex bovine romance is not something I want to hear musically expressed.)

This isn't an actual misheard lyric, but every time I hear “Pretty Woman” by Roy Orbison, I ALWAYS mentally put in "Oh, pudgy woman ... walkin' down the street"

Offline Svengarlic

Fill-Um, there's no misheard lyrics in the song I'm offering. If somebody mentioned British female pop stars, who would pop to mind? Petula Clark? Lulu? I'd be hard pressed to name another. At any rate, I came across this one after overhearing my grand daughters (four and six) singing it. I'll withhold further comment for now.

Offline metaldams

Fill-Um, there's no misheard lyrics in the song I'm offering. If somebody mentioned British female pop stars, who would pop to mind? Petula Clark? Lulu? I'd be hard pressed to name another. At any rate, I came across this one after overhearing my grand daughters (four and six) singing it. I'll withhold further comment for now.

How about Dusty Springfield.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I never saw THE WALL or TOMMY, believe it or not.  Did manage to see QUADROPHENIA for the first time about six months ago, I enjoyed it and I listen to the album differently now.  Just watched THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT for the millionth time last week, it never gets old.  Where else will you find Keith Moon in bondage or John Entwistle using platinum records as shooting discs?  Wholesome stuff.

Been listening to this lately, I know all you punk rockers will listen to every second of it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WKNOlDtZluU
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Oh, and a few comments about the video.

1.). The thing has over 31 million views and until now I have never heard of this person.  I am a relic.

2 ). I can understand you not being thrilled with your granddaughters singing this.  They probably don't know what it means, I hope. 

3.) I HATE auto tuned vocals and computerized instruments, why I stay away from this modern crap.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

Oh, and a few comments about the video.

1.). The thing has over 31 million views and until now I have never heard of this person.  I am a relic.

2 ). I can understand you not being thrilled with your granddaughters singing this.  They probably don't know what it means, I hope. 

3.) I HATE auto tuned vocals and computerized instruments, why I stay away from this modern crap.
Oh my, no, they have no Idea what it's about. I don't even understand the first part! And yes, I'm becoming a musical fossil as well. That song is damn near 3 years old. I do know that rump shakin' has been replaced by twerking. The girls were practicing doing it in the mirror, and a funnier sight I've never seen.

I thought about it long and hard before I gave my daughter an opinion on the matter. She's a bible thumper. I don't know how she got that way as I never took her to church. We decided to say little on the issue and continue to steer them to the old Motown and Disco '80s that they've been listening to since toddler-dom.

Heavy Metal like Zeppelin or Metallica is lost on kids not doing acid or grass I've learned. BTW, Springfield makes three Brit Chicks that I can name, but that has to be all of 'em.

Lily Allen, who popped up 1st on my google search when I typed in L-I-L !

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
The Group Chase with their one and only hit song … “Get it On” (1971)
Bill Chase played lead trumpet with Maynard Ferguson in 1958 and Stan Kenton in 1959, and most notably during the 1960s in Woody Herman's Thundering Herd.

http://youtu.be/cVt_M1bY_Sw

The group published three albums, and then in mid 1974, while en route to a scheduled performance at the Jackson County Fair, Chase, his keyboardist, drummer, and guitarist died in the crash of a chartered twin-engine plane. Jim Peterik was his vocalist on the third album, and he probably got the great idea of adding a brass section to the band, and I suspect named his group Survivor based upon his good fortune of not being on that plane.
Here's Jim singing his Ides of March hit ... "Vehicle" ... you know, though, maybe Peterik got the idea of a brass section from Blood, Sweat and Tears.
http://youtu.be/wZoOW-K-xpw

Here’s an mp3 of the song "Get it On" if you want it … (I'll add "Vehicle" when I can grab a copy of it)
I've also included a song from Chase's third album, just in case you don't believe that Jim sang on that album.

Offline metaldams

Heavy Metal like Zeppelin or Metallica is lost on kids not doing acid or grass I've learned. BTW, Springfield makes three Brit Chicks that I can name, but that has to be all of 'em.

Oh, I don't know.  Heavy metal's been my favorite kind of music since I was 10.  25 years later, it still is, and I've never touched pot or acid.  I barely even drink (maybe a beer or two a month, if that, and only socially), and other than coffee, have no substance habit.  Some of my friends into metal are the same way, though I also have friends who are pot smokers.

Motown I can dig.  I have the HITSVILLE USA 1959 - 1971 box set and as a bass player myself James Jamerson is one of my heroes.  80's disco, not so much my thing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

I was scanning back, reading some old threads and came across the Ray Manzarek Dead topic. Quite a shock. Somehow I'd missed hearing that news back in May of last year. It hits me hard when one of my music/cultural heroes dies. I don't have that many. Not to mention that they're not that much older than me.

Offline Svengarlic

I was slow learning that Paul Revere of "The Raiders" fame died Saturday at the historically significant age of 76. I never like that group. Mediocre music, and costumes leave me cold. (That goes double for Kiss)