2014 NFL Thread

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Yeah
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Lefty

For everyone who said, "Go, Dallas," well, they went.  Had they won, the NFL would have had an all-blue Final Four.

Now the Cowboys are just as good as the Giants, Jets, and Eagles, right, Fat Boy Christie?  At least the taxpayers won't have to shell out $8,300,741.12 to fly the blimp to Seattle and back.

Offline vomit

Sheesh!  Why all the Cowboys hate?  Cmon,guys, AMERICA'S TEAM!

LOL.

Bummed we lost to the Pack....but even more so for my 8 year old who could not fathom why Dez "non-catch" was that.  I could not explain it to him. 

I have a simple solution for all the NFL referee problems:  throw the current rule book away and go back to the one they used in 1970!

Go Seattle!
Specto Caelum!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yeah, that certainly looked like a catch to me--the ball didn't move until Dez hit the ground; but I wouldn't say that one call was the reason Dallas lost. It seems like the Boys had plenty of opportunities to put Green Bay away & after DeMarco Murray put Dallas ahead 21-13, I was ready to call the game--but obviously, that dude named Aaron Rodgers was not ready to call it a day....

I'm going against the grain, but I'm picking the Pack to shock the world this Sunday. And it goes without saying that Tom Brady owns Andrew Luck....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline vomit

Yeah, that certainly looked like a catch to me--the ball didn't move until Dez hit the ground; but I wouldn't say that one call was the reason Dallas lost. It seems like the Boys had plenty of opportunities to put Green Bay away & after DeMarco Murray put Dallas ahead 21-13, I was ready to call the game--but obviously, that dude named Aaron Rodgers was not ready to call it a day....

I'm going against the grain, but I'm picking the Pack to shock the world this Sunday. And it goes without saying that Tom Brady owns Andrew Luck....

I concur.  I am not a whiny Lions fan, so I accepted this as a loss on the team, not the officials.  Murray's fumble, IMO, was the Bell tolling Doom.....and no pass rush, etc.  On to 2015!
Specto Caelum!

Offline Squirrelbait

I'm taking the Seahawks and Patriots for Super Bowl XLIX. Enjoy the games, everyone!
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
I'm taking the Seahawks and Patriots for Super Bowl XLIX. Enjoy the games, everyone!

Ditto, only I am adding that Super Bowl XLIX will be more competitive than Super Bowl XLIX, but less competitive than Super Bowl XXIX.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yes, if the inevitable happens and it's a Hawks/Patriots Bowl, I'm guessing Tom Brady won't get smacked around like Peyton did.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Yes, if the inevitable happens and it's a Hawks/Patriots Bowl, I'm guessing Tom Brady won't get smacked around like Peyton did.
Being a Patriots fan, I am really hoping for good luck today. I'm crossing my fingers, too.

Moe: You should be crossing your face.
Me: Why?
Moe: Because, we just ruined society parties for you.
 [pie]
( Totally going off-topic, but for some reason that reminds me of this forum I went on dedicated to The Muppets [kermit], and we literally had a thread basically just having all the members going crazy and throwing virtiual pies, which we should so have on this forum.  [focus]
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Green Bay had 2 golden opportunities to smack the bully that is Seattle in the mouth and so far only have 2 field goals for their effort. May come back to bite 'em in the ass later....

Offline Shemp_Diesel

16-0 Green Bay.... 

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Oh my god, if the Packers let this game slip away....   :-\

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

YES! The Patriots are winning, so far! I really hope they win, because it will at least be cool for a Patriots fan like me to see the Patriots in the Super Bowl, although I consider this an achievement for them to be seen going this far.
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline metaldams

I don't normally watch football, but I did catch the end of the Seattle vs. Green Bay game, and that was one of the biggest choke jobs I've ever seen.  A lot went wrong for Green Bay, but it all started when they failed to run the clock down with about five minutes to go and were ahead by 12.  You gotta at least drive the ball, run the clock, and not go out in four downs.

Shemp_is_Awesome, like I said, I'm not much a football guy, but I love baseball.  Are you a Red Sox fan?  If so, stick around for baseball season when the baseball thread starts.  I'm definitely a fan, back to Boggs and Clemens.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Squirrelbait

It's official:

Super Bowl XLIX - Seattle Seahawks vs New England Patriots!
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline Lefty

Regardless of Green Bay's choke job yesterday, not that I care who won (either game), the fact remains that the NFL's overtime system s***s.  So what if they changed it a bit to accommodate first-possession field goals.  It should still be one possession minimum per team.

Maybe MLB will have a coin toss after the 9th inning, and whoever scores first wins.  Maybe the NBA will toss a coin for possession to start overtime, and will end their games upon the first point scored.  Maybe when soccer needs to break a tie, the first successful penalty kick wins it.  Or the NHL will do it for a shootout, even in the playoffs.  What?  These ideas are ridiculous?  Soitenly, they are!  But that is the same as what the Nutty Fraud League does.

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
Regardless of Green Bay's choke job yesterday, not that I care who won (either game), the fact remains that the NFL's overtime system s***s.  So what if they changed it a bit to accommodate first-possession field goals.  It should still be one possession minimum per team.

Maybe MLB will have a coin toss after the 9th inning, and whoever scores first wins.  Maybe the NBA will toss a coin for possession to start overtime, and will end their games upon the first point scored.  Maybe when soccer needs to break a tie, the first successful penalty kick wins it.  Or the NHL will do it for a shootout, even in the playoffs.  What?  These ideas are ridiculous?  Soitenly, they are!  But that is the same as what the Nutty Fraud League does.

I disagree for one reason: if you can't stop the other team from scoring, you don't deserve to have a chance because you SUCK.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Lefty

I disagree for one reason: if you can't stop the other team from scoring, you don't deserve to have a chance because you SUCK.

Then overtimes should be scoreless, eh?  Regardless, the National Featherbrain League still has the worst overtime setup, even worse than the World Cup of soccer.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Personally, I never had a problem with the old NFL setup of overtime--where the first team to score any points won. Now, under this new system, things are supposed to be "Fairer" for both teams--whether or not the system needs to be tweaked again is open for debate. All I know is the Packers had plenty of opportunities to put Seattle away before it even got to OT & they pissed them all away.

I have to imagine it's been a long offseason in Wisconsin....

Offline metaldams

Guys, I have to agree with Lefty on this one.  Yeah, you can argue Green Bay should have put Seattle away and failed in plenty of late chances, but I can also turn that around and say Seattle had plenty of chances to show up earlier and not require such a dramatic comeback.

As things stand now, it's the equivalent of a baseball team scoring one run in the top of the 10th and the home team not being allowed an at bat in the bottom of the inning to retaliate.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Go Seahawks....

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
Here's hoping the Seahawks wipe the floor with the Patriots!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I really don't look forward to calling Brady the greatest QB of all-time if the Pats win this game....

:-\

Offline Paul Pain

• Bunionhead
I really don't look forward to calling Brady the greatest QB of all-time if the Pats win this game....

:-\

Hard to compete with 4-0 in Super Bowls
#1 fire kibitzer