Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Flat Foot Stooges (1938)

metaldams · 41 · 18019

Offline TwoOunceBrain

• Grapehead
  • Stooges fan since 1993.
The problem with the Charley Chase Stooges shorts is that he tried to fit a big plot within a two-reel running time, even the Columbia shorts Chase starred in were hit and miss.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
This short appears to be a remake of, not a Sennett short (though I don't doubt any influence, Charley having toiled at Sennett himself), but a 1921 Snub Pollard/Hal Roach short titled WHERE'S THE FIRE, a portion of which Dave Lord Heath recently looked through for his website:
http://www.lordheath.com/Wheres_The_Fire.html

The site currently says to that Alf Goulding might have directed that short (there's a question mark by his name), but I wonder if Charley actually directed or at least had a hand in that one? As i previously noticed, he would later refashion another old 1921 Snub short, SHAKE 'EM UP, into SAVED BY THE BELLE.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline metaldams

This short appears to be a remake of, not a Sennett short (though I don't doubt any influence, Charley having toiled at Sennett himself), but a 1921 Snub Pollard/Hal Roach short titled WHERE'S THE FIRE, a portion of which Dave Lord Heath recently looked through for his website:
http://www.lordheath.com/Wheres_The_Fire.html

The site currently says to that Alf Goulding might have directed that short (there's a question mark by his name), but I wonder if Charley actually directed or at least had a hand in that one? As i previously noticed, he would later refashion another old 1921 Snub short, SHAKE 'EM UP, into SAVED BY THE BELLE.

Thanks for the link and data.  I’m sure a ton of these Stooge shorts have obscure and even lost sources we may never know about.

I’ve always seen a little bit of an influence from THE FIREMAN from Charlie Chaplin, but not to the point where other sources can’t be drawn from.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Flubs or no flubs, Charley Chase really dropped the ball on this one. "Flat Foot Stooges" is all over the map . . . and not in a good way. A few classic moments (the gunpowder-eating duck is an admirably bizarre touch) but the story never gels. What the hell happened to the ending? Easily the weakest of the Chase-directed shorts and quite a comedown from "False Alarms."

5/10
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 08:48:12 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline metaldams

Just watched this one again and realized the guy who spots the fire is Harry Myers, the drunken millionaire friend from Charlie Chaplin’s CITY LIGHTS.  His only Stooge role and shot two months before his death.

Just came to another bizarre realization looking it up - both him and Chaplin died on Christmas, 39 years apart.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Here we have another 1930s Curly short that never did much for me.  Not much to say, other than that the laughs just aren't there.

#152. Flat Foot Stooges

Offline Count Jerome “Curley” von Gehrol

• Generalissimo of the Televania Republican Armed Forces
  • Grapehead
  • I am the dimwitted brother of Count Alfred Gherol.
Honestly, I think this story probably would have worked better if it was set in a transitional period when motorized fire engines were just starting to become widely adopted such as the late 1900s or early 1910s as the Springfield Fire Department (according to Wikipedia) was the first municipal fire department in the United States to completely motorize in 1913. Where this short fails for me is that we clearly do see modern cars (for the time). So, why would a municipal fire department still use a horse drawn one when just about every single fire department in the United States would have definitely been motorized by the 1920s (for the most part because even rural departments had already been looking to buy their own)? Unless the fire chief is just that stubborn. And even then, it is hard to believe.

Now, if it were set in a transitional time period, you can have the horse drawn engine and the motorized fire engine compete to see which one is better. Fire Chief Kelly’s character will also make more sense because he will be from the old school days of firefighting and not quite understand what makes these new fandangle contraptions better. Maybe the motorized engine can have a few mechanical problems that side line it which initially prove his point but when it works or once the teething problems get sorted out, it is easily more efficient than the horse drawn one. Kelly could even be forced to use the motorized one to his chagrin. I must say, I love horses a lot. But when it comes to emergencies, I would prefer a self-propelled fire engine be the one responding rather than a horse drawn one because when I am in desperate need of help, I want it to come sooner rather than later.
Miss Arvin, may I present to you Admiral Taylor, Commander Button, and Captain Presser.

Offline metaldams

Honestly, I think this story probably would have worked better if it was set in a transitional period when motorized fire engines were just starting to become widely adopted such as the late 1900s or early 1910s as the Springfield Fire Department (according to Wikipedia) was the first municipal fire department in the United States to completely motorize in 1913. Where this short fails for me is that we clearly do see modern cars (for the time). So, why would a municipal fire department still use a horse drawn one when just about every single fire department in the United States would have definitely been motorized by the 1920s (for the most part because even rural departments had already been looking to buy their own)? Unless the fire chief is just that stubborn. And even then, it is hard to believe.

Now, if it were set in a transitional time period, you can have the horse drawn engine and the motorized fire engine compete to see which one is better. Fire Chief Kelly’s character will also make more sense because he will be from the old school days of firefighting and not quite understand what makes these new fandangle contraptions better. Maybe the motorized engine can have a few mechanical problems that side line it which initially prove his point but when it works or once the teething problems get sorted out, it is easily more efficient than the horse drawn one. Kelly could even be forced to use the motorized one to his chagrin. I must say, I love horses a lot. But when it comes to emergencies, I would prefer a self-propelled fire engine be the one responding rather than a horse drawn one because when I am in desperate need of help, I want it to come sooner rather than later.

My opinion is they used the horse drawn fire as an excuse to get routines from Charlie Chaplin’s THE FIREMAN - which actually was made in the teens.  They probably just threw in modern touches to keep things interesting for the time.
- Doug Sarnecky

• Grapehead
My opinion is they used the horse drawn fire as an excuse to get routines from Charlie Chaplin’s THE FIREMAN - which actually was made in the teens.  They probably just threw in modern touches to keep things interesting for the time.

That does make sense. I will confess that I have not seen anything from Charlie Chaplin. The only silent movie star I have seen anything from is Buster Keaton and that was The General from 1926 (I only watched that one because I am a big time train fan too). I must admit, I am not a fan of silent films. I prefer works with sound.
Miss Arvin, may I present to you Admiral Taylor, Commander Button, and Captain Presser.

Offline fayremead

Antonio Prohias was a few months into his career with MAD Magazine when he reworked the exploding egg gag for his Spy vs. Spy in #63, June 1961.

Doug Gilford's Mad Cover Site https://www.madcoversite.com/mad063-35.html

Offline metaldams

That does make sense. I will confess that I have not seen anything from Charlie Chaplin. The only silent movie star I have seen anything from is Buster Keaton and that was The General from 1926 (I only watched that one because I am a big time train fan too). I must admit, I am not a fan of silent films. I prefer works with sound.

The General is a great film but perhaps not the best place to start, I’d go with some shorts from the big names.  Being a Stooge fan actually got me into silent comedy since there are so many links, but I also realize it’s not for everyone.
- Doug Sarnecky

• Grapehead
The General is a great film but perhaps not the best place to start, I’d go with some shorts from the big names.  Being a Stooge fan actually got me into silent comedy since there are so many links, but I also realize it’s not for everyone.

Yeah, you certainly could not convince my mom to watch silent films because she does not like them. Her father was fond of them and would always watch them when she was growing up in Puerto Rico but she could not stand them (this would have been in the 60s as she was born in 1958). I am neutral to them myself because they are interesting peak into history, but I must confess that I am more of an animation guy. Funnily enough, even though a lot people say animation is for kids, I got into animation as I got older. That was when I began to appreciate the artistry that goes into it.

Offline fayremead

Three Stooges shorts from the 1930s sometimes played in theatres (not always to hearty laughter) at Victoria, British Columbia in the early 1970s. One film ended with the boys running away as gangsters shot dozens of bullets in their butts. Audience reaction was sarcastic but that ending was nowhere near as weak as the end of Flat Foot Stooges.

• Grapehead
I hope that I do not get into trouble for this because it is not exactly on topic.:-[ But here is an article that looks into the fascinating history of the transition from horse drawn fire apparatuses to motorized fire engines for those that are interested. I should have known that rural departments had to drag their own equipment by hand so the motorized fire engine was a lifesaver. I will say, after reading this article, it makes this short even harder to watch even from a comedy standpoint because the modern cars just kill the illusion. I do not expect full realism but I do prefer that the story at least be believable.

https://www.marinfirehistory.org/the-transition-to-motorized-apparatus.html

Offline I. Cheatam

Has some funny parts here and there, but this is not their best episode. The storyline wasn't so great. I did like the beginning where the stooges get caught in each others' suspenders and the "pull the string" gag was funny too. But the whole ending scene where the stooges are running and looking for the fire was a bit too long and not all the funny.

7/10

The short has a convoluted plot.

• Grapehead
Turns out I was wrong, it looks like you do not see any cars. I was mistaken.  [3stooges]