Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The 4th Stooge?

Offline Svengarlic

I thought I knew a lot about their history but.... Fred Sanborn? I ran across this photo and have since learned that he was an original Stooge. Or was he just a foil in an old Healey skit? There's almost nothing about him on Wikipedia.

I could do an exhaustive search but I'm betting that someone here knows the full story.

Looking at that get-up makes me think of that sissy "kid" that Besser played on the A&C TV show! Coincidence?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far I know, Sanborn's only connection to the stooges was his appearance in Soup to Nuts, where I guess he could be considered the "4th stooge" in that movie.

Although, I don't believe he was an official part of the group--again, some of the more knowledgeable members of this board can correct me if I'm wrong....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Sanborn was one of Healy's stooges from 1929 - 1930, appearing in Ted's vaudeville gigs, the Broadway revue A NIGHT IN VENICE, and their film premiere SOUP TO NUTS.

Offline Svengarlic

Well, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far I know, Sanborn's only connection to the stooges was his appearance in Soup to Nuts, where I guess he could be considered the "4th stooge" in that movie.

Although, I don't believe he was an official part of the group--again, some of the more knowledgeable members of this board can correct me if I'm wrong....
Before I gave up looking around I read in an unsubstantiated blog somewhere that he took over for Shemp before Curly stepped in. If true, that would be AFTER Soup to Nuts...yes?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I read in an unsubstantiated blog somewhere that he took over for Shemp before Curly stepped in.

He didn't.

Sanborn came in early 1929 to replace Larry after A NIGHT IN SPAIN finished its run.  Moe rejoined around the same time after a 1-1/2 year absence, and then Larry soon rejoined.  Sanborn became a fourth wheel, but stayed with the act thru SOUP TO NUTS in late 1930.

Offline Svengarlic

He didn't.

Sanborn came in early 1929 to replace Larry after A NIGHT IN SPAIN finished its run.  Moe rejoined around the same time after a 1-1/2 year absence, and then Larry soon rejoined.  Sanborn became a fourth wheel, but stayed with the act thru SOUP TO NUTS in late 1930.
Bear with me here BeA: by "it's run" I take it to mean that it was some form of stage presentation. But Moe and Larry were absent for a year and a half? I'm assuming that this Sanborn, Shemp and some other comic held down the fort?

And by "4th wheel" do you mean that Sanborn was not part of the eye-poking stuff, rather just a regular cast filler? The photo of him posing apart from the other 3 implies that.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
by "it's run" I take it to mean that it was some form of stage presentation.

Yes.  Healy was a headliner in vaudeville, and later in touring/Broadway stage revues.

But Moe absent for a year and a half?

Moe retired from show business in 1927, and returned in early 1929.

Larry  absent for a year and a half?

No, I did not say that.  Larry left after A NIGHT IN SPAIN to go on his own.  He and Healy lost touch for a while, and Sanborn was brought in to fill the spot.

Moe was coaxed back and joined Shemp and Freddie for rehearsals of A NIGHT IN VENICE.  After a brief absence Larry eventually got in touch with Healy, and was brought back in before the show opened.  Sanborn remained a Healy stooge, but a fourth wheel. 

And by "4th wheel" do you mean that Sanborn was not part of the eye-poking stuff, rather just a regular cast filler? The photo of him posing apart from the other 3 implies that.

Yes.  He had his own act, comedy xylophonist, just like in SOUP TO NUTS.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
It seems that Healy (Nash) in the late 20's and possibly early 30's treated his "stooges" as just that ... beings to be the butt of his jokes, and when Moe and Larry and even Shemp left him ... he just looked for others to fill the "stooge" gap (Freddie Sanborn - Mousie Garner - etc)?
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Svengarlic

It seems that Healy (Nash) in the late 20's and possibly early 30's treated his "stooges" as just that ... beings to be the butt of his jokes, and when Moe and Larry and even Shemp left him ... he just looked for others to fill the "stooge" gap (Freddie Sanborn - Mousie Garner - etc)?
I remember reading that he was a pretty decent guy when sober. (when he rose in the morning)

It seems like it was quite a personnel scramble between 1928 - 1933, even without bringing up Bonnie Bonnell, Girl Stooge.  Makes you realize how random, and lucky, that we ended up with Curly.

Offline stoogerascalfan62

Fred Sanborn bears a facial resemblance to the late Pittsburgh Stooge TV host Paul Shannon.

Offline Svengarlic

Fred Sanborn bears a facial resemblance to the late Pittsburgh Stooge TV host Paul Shannon.