Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who's the Mystery Actor?

Svengarlic · 361 · 82624

Offline Svengarlic

To answer the other part of your question Sig, there was an ongoing theme in the Chaney films: pathos. HIS pathos. He falls in love with the girl, the girl likes him, girl runs off with less creepy guy, he laments.

I suppose 'horrendous' is a good word to describe his films at the time; not so much today. The creepiest for me was  The Unknown. The leading lady was my girl, Lucille La Seuer.

I'm going to finish this post over on the active SILENT MOVIE thread as the subject of Lon Chaney belongs there.

*END PART ONE*

Offline hiramhorwitz

I don't think it's Arnez. He was a chain cig guy. But even tho' it's a young  Belushi, I think Tracy would look older.

Arnaz's physician was quoted as saying that Desi's lung cancer was due to "smoking those Cuban cigars."

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-12-03/news/mn-486_1_desi-arnaz

Offline Svengarlic

Arnaz's physician was quoted as saying that Desi's lung cancer was due to "smoking those Cuban cigars."

Yikes! Cigs AND Cubans. No wonder he's dead.   [cool]

Offline Signor Spumoni

I never heard that about Desi's MD.  Lucy had pneumonia a number of times, which her smoking (no, not cigars :)) likely made her more vulnerable to having.  HiramHorwitz, can you confirm or refute the story that Lucy preferred Chesterfields, so would put those inside the Philip Morris packets so as not to offend PM, the sponsor?

Offline hiramhorwitz

I never heard that about Desi's MD.  Lucy had pneumonia a number of times, which her smoking (no, not cigars :)) likely made her more vulnerable to having.  HiramHorwitz, can you confirm or refute the story that Lucy preferred Chesterfield's, so would put those inside the Philip Morris packets so as not to offend PM, the sponsor?

I'm afraid I know nothing about Lucy's preferred brand of smokes.  I only know about Desi's Cuban cigars because I recalled reading his MD's statement in the obituary.  At the time, I wondered how the physician could differentiate between the effects of the cigars and the cigarettes.  Maybe it's just that Desi preferred cigars over cigarettes.  That sounds like a question to ask Desi Junior or sister Lucie.  Any takers?

Offline Svengarlic

I'm afraid I know nothing about Lucy's preferred brand of smokes.  I only know about Desi's Cuban cigars because I recalled reading his MD's statement in the obituary.  At the time, I wondered how the physician could differentiate between the effects of the cigars and the cigarettes.  Maybe it's just that Desi preferred cigars over cigarettes.  That sounds like a question to ask Desi Junior or sister Lucie.  Any takers?
I can't confirm it, but it's very credible. On the subject I DO know that Phillip Morris wouldn't allow the word LUCKY to be spoken on the show.  :)

Offline Signor Spumoni

At first I, too, wondered how an MD could make that statement.  But I'm guessing he must have treated enough patients to have observed differences among cigarette smokers, cigar smokers and Cuban cigar smokers.  Cuban cigars must have different tobacco to American cigars, so maybe they affect smokers differently. 

Offline Svengarlic

At first I, too, wondered how an MD could make that statement.  But I'm guessing he must have treated enough patients to have observed differences among cigarette smokers, cigar smokers and Cuban cigar smokers.  Cuban cigars must have different tobacco to American cigars, so maybe they affect smokers differently.
I seriously doubt that! MD's didnt know dick about the real effects of tobacco use and lung cancer. But I would hope that they knew that the great majority of cigar and pipe smokers don't inhale. How could they tie that to the lungs in any way?

By the way: I once knew a guy that smoked cigs, cigars, pipes AND pot! He also used that shit they stick in their cheeks. Smoke was his life! I know what you're thinking....the guy has to be dead!

HE IS.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I seriously doubt that! MD's didnt know dick about the real effects of tobacco use and lung cancer. But I would hope that they knew that the great majority of cigar and pipe smokers don't inhale. How could they tie that to the lungs in any way?

By the way: I once knew a guy that smoked cigs, cigars, pipes AND pot! He also used that shit they stick in their cheeks. Smoke was his life! I know what you're thinking....the guy has to be dead!

You may be right when you say MDs didn't know anything about the real effects of tobacco and lung cancer.  But cigarettes were known as coffin nails long, long ago, remember.  I wrote what I did because of my early school days when we were shown movies or film strips about the dangers of smoking.  I think the dangers were known to a degree, but certainly not publicized as they are now, and not understood as fully as they are now.

So, the fellow you knew who smoked cigarettes, cigars, pipes and pot, and who used snuff/chewing tobacco - - is/was that you?   :o

Offline Svengarlic

Sig, I'm afraid that the quote I screwed up on and (it's all in one box) made me misunderstand your question. Hell no that smoke fiend was not me!   :laugh: He was I guy I was stationed with years ago. Lost track of him.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Well, I quoted my earlier reply accidentally, but I fixed it.  I apologize for the confusion.  Then I noticed that I didn't see the part of your post which read that the "smoke fiend" you knew is, in fact, dead.  I wouldn't have asked if it were you had I read that.  I'm sorry for my mistakes.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

Offline Svengarlic

The woman was a prolific actress, and very popular in her day. She did a little TV in the late '50s. (Perry Mason, Hitchcock) but I don't think she ever received Oscar recognition. That, of course, eliminates Bette Davis. Later I'll put up a better picture of her, full faced, so don't scratch out all your hair just yet, Spumoni. :)

The boy in the High School pic won an Oscar early on, but in 50 more years that was not repeated. Due to a Garfield-esque quality he acted in a lot of cops and robbers productions. His TV career was equally notable.

The last man struck out on the big screen, but was a hit on the small one. Some may look at that face and immediately know. Others (like I) will be utterly confounded.

May I request that if you know one of these people right off, or was tempted to peek, add a subtle hint to keep the Signor in the hunt. Like I, he digs this stuff.  ;)

Offline Signor Spumoni

Wow, a triple!  Thanks, Sven!  I'm happy I had the time to take a look today.  This ought to keep me off the streets for awhile.  :)

Offline Svengarlic

Wow, a triple!  Thanks, Sven!  I'm happy I had the time to take a look today.  This ought to keep me off the streets for awhile.  :)
OMG! Always happy to do what I can to curtail street crime.  :)

Offline Signor Spumoni

Good thing you said Bette Davis was out because she was my first thought.  Then I thought of your girl, Lucille Leseur, but you said this mystery actress had no Oscar recognition.  So I'm still thinking. 

The two men are tantalizingly familiar yet just out of recall.

Hmmmm...

Offline Svengarlic

Good thing you said Bette Davis was out because she was my first thought.  Then I thought of your girl, Lucille Leseur, but you said this mystery actress had no Oscar recognition.  So I'm still thinking. 

The two men are tantalizingly familiar yet just out of recall.

Hmmmm...
Here's that better look at the chick, probably from Perry Mason, with her natural hair color.

As to the boy, he was a dramatic actor and later showed a flair for comedy, while the other man was a comedian, with a flair for nothing else. One is Sicilian, the other a Jew.  ;)

Offline Signor Spumoni

A question about the man, the one whom you described as having a flair for comedy but nothing else.  Did he have a well-known TV show of his own?  Also, I think I'm barking up the wrong tree, but are the woman's initials C.B.?

Offline Svengarlic

A question about the man, the one whom you described as having a flair for comedy but nothing else.  Did he have a well-known TV show of his own?  Also, I think I'm barking up the wrong tree, but are the woman's initials C.B.?
He did have a show. It was not a variety show like Milton Berle, for example. As to the woman, CB is not correct. F.W. however, IS.  ;)

Offline Signor Spumoni

I'm a fan of all of the above.  Baby Peggy shared the vaudeville stage with Ted Healy and His Stooges, circa 1928-1929.  In her words, that's when Ted's Stooges were Moe, Larry, and Shemp.  Baby Peggy was not a fan of the Stooges act, but she has positive memories of Healy.  She was a child at the time and found the Stooge's act to be "rude."  In later life, she encountered Larry Fine at the Motion Picture Home -- and he recognized her as the former Baby Peggy.  The details of Baby Peggy's encounter with the Stooges is chronicled on pages 36-41 of Stooges Among Us.  Rose Marie's story of the Stooges is chronicled in the same book, on pages 60-63.  To add insult to injury, my encounter with the Stooges is chronicled in the same book on pages 111-147.  Definitely required reading if you wish to pass my class.

The book just arrived today.  I can't wait to read it (although I have to wait a little while till I'm free).  I looked for your chapter right away.  :)

Offline Signor Spumoni

He did have a show. It was not a variety show like Milton Berle, for example. As to the woman, CB is not correct. F.W. however, IS.  ;)

I was thinking of a comedy show, a famous one.

F.W.?  Must be Fay Wray!  She looks so different when she's not in the arms of a big gorilla.  :)

Offline Svengarlic

The book just arrived today.  I can't wait to read it (although I have to wait a little while till I'm free).  I looked for your chapter right away.  :)
Just curious...how much time did they give you?  ???

Offline Signor Spumoni

Sven, when you ask how much time did they give me - - are you asking how much time did the library give me to read the book?

Offline Svengarlic

I was thinking of a comedy show, a famous one.

F.W.?  Must be Fay Wray!  She looks so different when she's not in the arms of a big gorilla.  :)
Yes...I thought that the "W" would throw you off, because the mind naturally thinks of the "R" sound in words like "Wright Bros". Well done.

Now, the Italian one, in later life became associated with two other actors whose roots go back to that Island off of Italy. The Jewish one lacks an iconic feature (or two) that makes him look totally different from the face familiar to us.

Offline Svengarlic

Sven, when you ask how much time did they give me - - are you asking how much time did the library give me to read the book?
Pick out two! *plink* No, Man. It was a going to jail joke!