Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who's the Mystery Actor?

Svengarlic · 361 · 82613

Offline hiramhorwitz

Kudos Hiram. Looks like your's was a major contribution. How about a brief teaser of your Stooge encounter while I search for the book? BTW, I only recognized six of those names.  :-\

Here's my quick summary.  In the early 1970s, I wondered what ever happened to these guys.  Were they still alive and lucid?  If so, where did they live and what did they look like?  If not, when did they die and how?  (Realize this is before the internet, before Stroke of Luck, before Moe Howard & the Three Stooges, and before any of the other dozens of books that have been published since that time).  So I made it my mission to find the answers to my questions, and through happenstance and good luck.....I found the answers to my questions.....and ultimately had the good fortune to meet each of the remaining Stooges face to face.  That includes Moe, Larry, Joe, and Curly Joe. 

Offline hiramhorwitz

On the child actor subject, I did a search to see who's still kicking from the Little Rascals. I'm not sure if it's accurate, but I found that Robert Blake (Micky) is the only boy. And Jean Darling (from the silents) the only girl.

Last I heard, Jean Darling is still living in Dublin, Ireland, at the same address where she's been for many years.  Up until 2010, she was making routine appearances at select Sons of the Desert conventions here in the states, and at the Laurel & Hardy Museum in Harlem, GA, near where I live.  (Harlem, GA is Oliver Hardy's birthplace).  In case you're interested, I've attached a couple of snapshots showing:  1) the front of Harlem's Laurel & Hardy Museum; 2) a picture of Jean from a 2006 Sons of the Desert convention held in Augusta, GA (this photo is on display at the L&H Museum); and 3) a 2002 painting of Oliver Hardy that Jean created (this, too, is on display at the L&H Museum). 

Offline Svengarlic

Here's my quick summary.  In the early 1970s, I wondered what ever happened to these guys.  Were they still alive and lucid?  If so, where did they live and what did they look like?  If not, when did they die and how?  (Realize this is before the internet, before Stroke of Luck, before Moe Howard & the Three Stooges, and before any of the other dozens of books that have been published since that time).  So I made it my mission to find the answers to my questions, and through happenstance and good luck.....I found the answers to my questions.....and ultimately had the good fortune to meet each of the remaining Stooges face to face.  That includes Moe, Larry, Joe, and Curly Joe.
You've GOT to tell me about your chat with Besser. What a showbiz life HE had!

Offline Signor Spumoni

HiramHorwitz, thank you for your wonderful posts!  I requested Stooges Among Us  from my library.  The cover is perfect for the title.  I can't wait to read the book.

You've had a fascinating life!  You ought to start your own thread - - or do you have a Website/blog which you care to tell us about?

Offline Svengarlic

HiramHorwitz, thank you for your wonderful posts!  I requested Stooges Among Us  from my library.  The cover is perfect for the title.  I can't wait to read the book.

You've had a fascinating life!  You ought to start your own thread - - or do you have a Website/blog which you care to tell us about?
I'm guessing.....yes.  ;)

Offline hiramhorwitz

You've GOT to tell me about your chat with Besser. What a showbiz life HE had!

Besser was great -- very down-to-earth and personal.  He spoke of his time with Olsen and Johnson, the Milton Berle radio show, the Jack Benny Show, supporting Abbott and Costello, and of course, his time with the Stooges.  He was certainly very happy to be remembered, but he lamented his difficulty in finding sufficient current day jobs to keep him busy.  Around that time, he was voicing a Saturday morning cartoon character.  Although he was happy to have the job, he clearly felt it paled in comparison to his previous work with the greats.   

Offline hiramhorwitz

Your compliment is appreciated and I'm happy to hear that you requested Stooges Among Us from your library.  Hope you like it!

I'm old-school and haven't quite caught up with the digital age.  I don't own a cell phone, I'm not on Facebook, and I certainly don't have a website or blog.  Don't get me wrong -- I appreciate your interest in my stories -- I just have no intention to reach a wider audience via new technology.  This website and Gary Lassin's Stooges YahooGroups are more than adequate for me!

Offline Signor Spumoni

Your compliment is appreciated and I'm happy to hear that you requested Stooges Among Us from your library.  Hope you like it!

I'm old-school and haven't quite caught up with the digital age.  I don't own a cell phone, I'm not on Facebook, and I certainly don't have a website or blog.  Don't get me wrong -- I appreciate your interest in my stories -- I just have no intention to reach a wider audience via new technology.  This website and Gary Lassin's Stooges YahooGroups are more than adequate for me!

I'm sure I'll enjoy reading the book.  I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not buying the book, but I rarely buy any books. 

I'm glad to meet another person who has no cellphone, no Facebook page, etc.  I was beginning to feel like the only one of my kind.  :)  As a matter of fact, I use a friend's computer as I don't own one.  I'll look up the Gary Lassin Stooges Yahoo Groups; thanks.  Have you books on the silents or on Vaudeville?

Offline hiramhorwitz

I'm sure I'll enjoy reading the book.  I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not buying the book, but I rarely buy any books. 

I'm glad to meet another person who has no cellphone, no Facebook page, etc.  I was beginning to feel like the only one of my kind.  :)  As a matter of fact, I use a friend's computer as I don't own one.  I'll look up the Gary Lassin Stooges Yahoo Groups; thanks.  Have you books on the silents or on Vaudeville?

Glad to hear you're one of the discerning few who thrive on the basics.  A diminishing club indeed -- but nothing wrong with that!

My hat's off to you for utilizing the library instead of personal ownership -- nothing wrong with that either.  I typically only purchase books that have special meaning, highly limited distribution, are personally inscribed by the author, or have high likelihood of becoming collectible.  For this very reason, I have very few books on silent films and vaudeville.  However, I've read quite a few of the applicable books on the subject -- usually ones lent to me by friends or ones that are available at the local community and university libraries. 

The last book I added to my collection was a couple of years ago.  That book was special as it was inscribed to me by the elderly author who was a silent film star 90 years ago.  You guessed it -- the autobiography of Baby Peggy!   

Offline Signor Spumoni

Glad to hear you're one of the discerning few who thrive on the basics.  A diminishing club indeed -- but nothing wrong with that!

My hat's off to you for utilizing the library instead of personal ownership -- nothing wrong with that either.  I typically only purchase books that have special meaning, highly limited distribution, are personally inscribed by the author, or have high likelihood of becoming collectible.  For this very reason, I have very few books on silent films and vaudeville.  However, I've read quite a few of the applicable books on the subject -- usually ones lent to me by friends or ones that are available at the local community and university libraries. 

The last book I added to my collection was a couple of years ago.  That book was special as it was inscribed to me by the elderly author who was a silent film star 90 years ago.  You guessed it -- the autobiography of Baby Peggy!

I like the elegant way you phrased your first two sentences.  Neatly done.  :)

I think it's neat that your most recent purchase was DSC's autobiography.  In fact, that's my next library request.  Your Stooges book will take awhile to come in, so I'll have time to read about Baby Peggy.  I hope you had a photo taken with DSC.  That would be great. 

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I'm a fan of all of the above.  Baby Peggy shared the vaudeville stage with Ted Healy and His Stooges, circa 1928-1929.  In her words, that's when Ted's Stooges were Moe, Larry, and Shemp.  Baby Peggy was not a fan of the Stooges act, but she has positive memories of Healy.  She was a child at the time and found the Stooge's act to be "rude."  In later life, she encountered Larry Fine at the Motion Picture Home -- and he recognized her as the former Baby Peggy.  The details of Baby Peggy's encounter with the Stooges is chronicled on pages 36-41 of Stooges Among Us.  Rose Marie's story of the Stooges is chronicled in the same book, on pages 60-63.  To add insult to injury, my encounter with the Stooges is chronicled in the same book on pages 111-147.  Definitely required reading if you wish to pass my class.

I've just learned I'm a larvae amongst fully grown butterflies in the Stooge Kingdom ... how wonderful for me! (thanks Stooge [and old film buffs] butterflies)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline metaldams

I'm starting a silent film thread based on this conversation.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

I'm starting a silent film thread based on this conversation.

What a good idea, Metaldams!   :)

Offline hiramhorwitz

I think it's neat that your most recent purchase was DSC's autobiography.  In fact, that's my next library request.  Your Stooges book will take awhile to come in, so I'll have time to read about Baby Peggy.  I hope you had a photo taken with DSC.  That would be great.

I would love to have my photo taken with Ms. Cary, but as of yet, I have not met her face to face.  My signed copy of the book was obtained through a friend who worked with her at a speaking engagement.  As such, the inscription says:  "I'm sorry we did not get to meet -- perhaps this book will make up for a visit!" 

I probably should be posting this in the "new" silent film thread, but I was unable to find it.  Just goes to show my lack of tech savvy.

Offline metaldams

I would love to have my photo taken with Ms. Cary, but as of yet, I have not met her face to face.  My signed copy of the book was obtained through a friend who worked with her at a speaking engagement.  As such, the inscription says:  "I'm sorry we did not get to meet -- perhaps this book will make up for a visit!" 

I probably should be posting this in the "new" silent film thread, but I was unable to find it.  Just goes to show my lack of tech savvy.

If you go to Moronika.com, you'll find the link to the silent film thread under "general discussion."  If that's too tech savvy for you, click below.

http://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,5346.0.html

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

You 3 guys are kindred spirits when it comes to the silents. Unfortunately I won't be much of a contributor, having seen only a few, most of them Chaney films.

But I AM pleased to report that the 'Giff Me Dat Spumoni' club of old school has another member. But I must confess that I do own a cell phone that my daughter bought me, and it's in a drawer. I take it out once a week when it beeps at me for more juice. It's my little once a week alarm clock.  ;)

Offline Signor Spumoni

You 3 guys are kindred spirits when it comes to the silents. Unfortunately I won't be much of a contributor, having seen only a few, most of them Chaney films.

But I AM pleased to report that the 'Giff Me Dat Spumoni' club of old school has another member. But I must confess that I do own a cell phone that my daughter bought me, and it's in a drawer. I take it out once a week when it beeps at me for more juice. It's my little once a week alarm clock.  ;)

I'd like to know what you thought about those Chaney movies.  I've wondered if they are horrific as they sound.  Which ones have you seen?  Some silents are available on youtube, by the way.  [We probably ought to move this part to the Silent Movie thread.]

Welcome to the club, Sven!  You may stay so long as you leave that phone in the drawer.  :)  Does it drive your daughter crazy that your phone never leaves home?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline Svengarlic

Identify the white-haired gent on the right.
I don't think it's Arnez. He was a chain cig guy. But even tho' it's a young  Belushi, I think Tracy would look older.

Offline Svengarlic

I'd like to know what you thought about those Chaney movies.  I've wondered if they are horrific as they sound.  Which ones have you seen?     

Welcome to the club, Sven!  You may stay so long as you leave that phone in the drawer.  :)  Does it drive your daughter crazy that your phone never leaves home?
I saw about five, maybe six Lon Chaney silents. The penalty was my favorite. In close shots he would dramatically over act, like a stage performer.
 Except he had no stage experience that I know of.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Spencer Tracy? Looks like him.

I don't think it's Arnez. He was a chain cig guy. But even tho' it's a young  Belushi, I think Tracy would look older.

It is Desi Arnaz, rehearsing with Belushi on the set of SNL.  Desi was the host/musical guest on Feb. 21, 1976.

(Spencer Tracy died in 1967.)

Offline Signor Spumoni

It is, indeed, Desi Arnaz.  Spencer Tracy was a good guess; I didn't notice the resemblance, but it's there.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I saw about five, maybe six Lon Chaney silents. The penalty was my favorite. In close shots he would dramatically over act, like a stage performer.
 Except he had no stage experience that I know of.

I would like to see some of his movies, so I'll head over to youtube.  Maybe I'll see you there.  :)