Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who's the Mystery Actor?

Svengarlic · 361 · 82603

Offline Signor Spumoni

My, I'm more out of touch than I knew:  I never heard of this actor.

Thanks, Sven; I learned about a new actor.  Even if I'd heard of this fellow, I don't think I'd have known him with the beard and sunglasses.

Offline Svengarlic

Sig, you're worse than me! Tell me...what WAS the last film you went to see at the movies? Brody was also the lead in that movie about the George Reeves, previously discussed: Hollywoodland.

Here's that Oscar moment I mentioned.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I have to chuckle at your comments, Sven.  To answer your question, the last movie I saw was "The Namesake."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433416/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Thanks for the pictures of Adrian Brody and Halle Berry.  Your described the kiss well, looks like.

Am I out of touch?  Mmmmmm, could be.  :)

Offline Svengarlic

A Bollywood movie, Sig?!!  :o  I have you beat, but not by much. The last movies I paid to see were The Fantastic Four and King Kong back in 2008 or 2009. (I had a free pass for the J. Edgar Hoover film I mentioned in another thread)

I do enjoy the crowd experience, but I don't like the little screens they use nowadays, and I'm many miles from a real movie house. They're becoming as rare as Drive-Ins, I'm afraid.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Yes, a Bollywood picture, a drama, not a musical.  I enjoyed it even though I hadn't read the novel first.

Yes, you have me beat.  I don't care for crowds, and I'd probably lose my mind in a texting, updating, chattering movie crowd of nowadays.  Like you, I don't care for small screens; I remember when a cinema near me (at the time) split its screens in order to multiply the number of movies it could show.  Ye gods!

Is there anything out now you would pay money to see?

Offline Svengarlic

Yes, a Bollywood picture, a drama, not a musical.  I enjoyed it even though I hadn't read the novel first.

Yes, you have me beat.  I don't care for crowds, and I'd probably lose my mind in a texting, updating, chattering movie crowd of nowadays.  Like you, I don't care for small screens; I remember when a cinema near me (at the time) split its screens in order to multiply the number of movies it could show.  Ye gods!

Is there anything out now you would pay money to see?
I want to check out an IMax 3D movie, but I can't seem to get around to it. By the time I decide that there's one worth going to, it's moved on. Has anyone here ever seen one? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
There was an Imax theatre in the past at the Fort Worth (Texas) Museum of Science and History, but my year ago trip there saw the entire place revamped ... I don't think there is one there now. I saw the launch of the Space Shuttle Columbia on Imax at the FWMuseum as a matter of fact way back in 19somethingorother. They still have the planetarium ... some things never change
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Signor Spumoni

There was an Imax theatre in the past at the Fort Worth (Texas) Museum of Science and History, but my year ago trip there saw the entire place revamped ... I don't think there is one there now. I saw the launch of the Space Shuttle Columbia on Imax at the FWMuseum as a matter of fact way back in 19somethingorother. They still have the planetarium ... some things never change

That must have been very impressive, Giff-me!  I think the planetarium is a good bet to remain there, but I guess cinemas come and go.

I recall seeing something in the 1970s, and it seems as if it were an Imax movie.  My memory is hazy, but I remember there were various things shown from the perspective of the passengers, things such as a rollercoaster, a race car (possibly Formula 1, but I'm unsure), etc.  I missed some of the movie because I was fascinated by watching the audience, 99.9% of whom moved as if they were in the rollercoaster, the car, etc. 

Due to motion sickness developed post-1970s, I'm unsure how I would like to see an Imax 3-D today even though I'm definitely intrigued.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Do you recognize Peggy?  That's her birth name but not the name she became famous with.  She was a canary in her day.

Offline Signor Spumoni

First clue:  Peggy was a singer, as I said.  Her singing eventually led her to the field of entertainment for which she is known today. 

Another clue tonight or tomorrow, depending how late I stay up.  :)

Offline metaldams

Do you recognize Peggy?  That's her birth name but not the name she became famous with.  She was a canary in her day.

I have no clue who she is, however.....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eUDcTLaWJuo

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

I have no clue who she is, however.....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eUDcTLaWJuo

Right you are, Metaldams.  Funny addition you made with the video.  :)

Her sultry look here is the opposite of the image she had once famous.  She made a professional partnership which led to a personal partnership which led to fame for them both.  She was a successful club singer in her younger years.  One of her offspring eclipsed that success with a singing career decades later.  But I fear I've said too much, now.

Offline Svengarlic

"Legs" makes me want to say Betty Grable, but I see no Grable in this photo.  [cry]

Offline Signor Spumoni

"Legs" makes me want to say Betty Grable, but I see no Grable in this photo.  [cry]

It is not Betty Grable, but both Betty and this lovely lady married orchestra leaders.  This lady's marriage lasted a lifetime and was, by all reports, extremely happy.  She was known and loved by all in show business especially for her unaffectedness, her warmth, honesty, goodness and understanding, a case where a star's true personality matching her perceived personality.

CORRECTION:  I read a source which refutes a statement made here that this lady's birth name was Peggy.  It lists her as having the same first name she became known by, so I'll not use Peggy again.  I apologize for not knowing that sooner.

Another clue later today.

Offline metaldams

Offline Svengarlic

It is not Betty Grable, but both Betty and this lovely lady married orchestra leaders.  This lady's marriage lasted a lifetime and was, by all reports, extremely happy.  She was known and loved by all in show business especially for her unaffectedness, her warmth, honesty, goodness and understanding, a case where a star's true personality matching her perceived personality.

CORRECTION:  I read a source which refutes a statement made here that this lady's birth name was Peggy.  It lists her as having the same first name she became known by, so I'll not use Peggy again.  I apologize for not knowing that sooner.

Another clue later today.
Had I seen this clue before Metal, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten this one. The bandleader clue would have cinched it. Good one Sig.  ;)

Now try this one Boys:

The man on the left in the leather jacket began as a TV actor in the '60s, and had success on the legitimate stage. His career exploded in the the '80s on the big screen. He has much in common with the actor pictured below in blue.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Yep, it's Harriet.  Good for you, Metaldams.

This is a good one, Sven.  Could it be Ben Gazzara?

Offline Svengarlic

Yep, it's Harriet.  Good for you, Metaldams.

This is a good one, Sven.  Could it be Ben Gazzara?
Not Ben. This guy is maybe 10 years younger and is not Sicilian. But like Ben, you will note the comb-over to conceal a prematurely receding hairline.

Offline Svengarlic

My second guess is the other Ben, Ben Kingsley.
You got it. But can you get THIS one?

A career character actor. Had a short lived TV series in the '60s and is VERY well known today.

Offline Signor Spumoni

That was fun, Sven!

Wow, this fellow rings not a single bell!  I'll have to use my old trick of enlarging and staring.   :o

Offline Svengarlic

That was fun, Sven!

Wow, this fellow rings not a single bell!  I'll have to use my old trick of enlarging and staring.   :o
I never thought of that! I have an enlarging tool that I never use. Here's a hint on this guy: Perhaps his most memorable role was in a movie that has either been discussed or pictured in this sprawling 7 page thread.  ;) Here's another:

He's the one with the coat over his arm. I'm sure you will recognize Paul Newman on the right and the film this still is from.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I recognize this man, he was in Scarface, Prizzi's Honor, and (since I had just seen this one this week on DVD) ... Independence Day.
Robert Loggia

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Here's a photo of a young man who will soon turn actor who had just received an Olympic Medal. (and that's your only clue)