Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Old Sayings Passé?

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Watching "Back to the Woods" this morning and Curly or Moe comes off with the old saying "Oh, an Indian Giver" meaning someone who gives you a gift and then takes it back ... I haven't heard this one used in AGES in normal conversations with average Americans (of course, our boys are NO average Americans) ... is the language of middle 20th America becoming passé?
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Svengarlic

Watching "Back to the Woods" this morning and Curly or Moe comes off with the old saying "Oh, an Indian Giver" meaning someone who gives you a gift and then takes it back ... I haven't heard this one used in AGES in normal conversations with average Americans (of course, our boys are NO average Americans) ... is the language of middle 20th America becoming passé?
Sure it is. But remember the Seinfeld episode where Jerry had to stop himself from saying it to his incredibly hot Indian girlfriend? All is not lost...yet.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I always thought that the phrase "Indian Giver" referred to the American Indians ... not people from India (I ain't watched that Seinfeld ep so I may be all wet)

Offline metaldams

My grandmother died almost seven years ago, but I can remember her telling my family about the nice colored lady who would come to read to groups at the home.  I also remember one Christmas her calling for a cat to come to her and when it did, repeatedly calling it a nice pussy.  Me and my aunt looked at each other and had to bite our lips to stop from laughing.  I miss my grandma, a sweet lady, but yeah, from another time, where they said old phrases and words we don't use anymore.  We'll all be old someday, too.
- Doug Sarnecky

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Metaldams ... now that I think about it ... the ep "Disorder in the Court" has a VERY old saying in it ... when Curly says "Oh, Vici Kid!"

Offline Svengarlic

I always thought that the phrase "Indian Giver" referred to the American Indians ... not people from India (I ain't watched that Seinfeld ep so I may be all wet)
The girlfriend WAS an American Indian.  ;)

Her segment on the show:

Offline Lefty

Concerning the term "pussy," that is what Mrs. Slocombe (Mollie Sugden) of "Are You Being Served?" always used to refer to her cat, Tiddles.

"If I'm not home by 6:00, my pussy will ..."

Or at the end of one episode, "Mr. Humphries, leave my pussy alone!"

That said, what was Curly referring to when he called out "Pussy" in "The Yoke's On Me," as the Stooges entered the barn?

ThumpTheShoes

What was Curly referring to when he called out "Pussy" in "The Yoke's On Me," as the Stooges entered the barn?

Horsey! Horsey!

The boys were sure the barn would be loaded with cows and horses.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
The girlfriend WAS an American Indian.  ;)

Her segment on the show:

Thanks Svengarlic ... that was wonderful

Offline Lefty

Horsey! Horsey!

The boys were sure the barn would be loaded with cows and horses.

Thanks for the clarification.  When I watched "The Yoke's on Me" a few weeks ago on the DVD, the closed-captioning showed "Pussy, pussy!"

Offline Svengarlic

Thanks Svengarlic ... that was wonderful
Glad you liked it Mr. Fill-um, but I would think that a puddin' head of your caliber  would have seen ALL the Seinfeld episodes. I think Jerry is a big fan judging by his Stooge references on the show, second only to Superman. (tip's cap to Man of Steel)  ;)

Offline Jamison

Being (much!) older than many of the people I work with, they are sometimes stumped by my conversation. Last week, a task went well and I said I felt I was "in the groove." The young lady next to me seemed totally baffled until I explained about vinyl recordings!

Offline Svengarlic

Being (much!) older than many of the people I work with, they are sometimes stumped by my conversation. Last week, a task went well and I said I felt I was "in the groove." The young lady next to me seemed totally baffled until I explained about vinyl recordings!
Coincidentally that happened to me at the corner store when I said " see you later alligator" to the young clerk. Her grandparents gave the response in unison and she too was delightfully baffled.

Offline Jamison

I sometimes wonder what a 25-or 30-year-old makes of Stooge (or any 40's-50s flick) where things like ration coupons, defense plants, vaudeville houses, radio jargon, reform schools, soda counters, motor courts and the like go whizzing by and it was expected that the original audiences were familiar with the products and situations.

Offline metaldams

I sometimes wonder what a 25-or 30-year-old makes of Stooge (or any 40's-50s flick) where things like ration coupons, defense plants, vaudeville houses, radio jargon, reform schools, soda counters, motor courts and the like go whizzing by and it was expected that the original audiences were familiar with the products and situations.

The vast majority of people living don't remember that stuff.  My grandfather fought in WWII and would have lived in that world.  He'd be almost 91 if he were still around, and he was 18 when Pearl Harbor hit, one of the younger ones.

I think if you have an appreciation of history and old culture you'd get those jokes, and if not, the slapstick itself is timeless.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

Me and my brother knew about the depression and the wars. Raised by my grandparents, they told us all about them. The shorts didn't seem as dated as L&H and the Little Rascals, and of course Chaplin and Keaton. It was funny to see the upper crust get their comeuppance. 

Offline locoboymakesgood

If it makes you feel better, Giff, most of my vernacular encompasses phrases and sayings from the 19th and 20th century, so I'll make sure it doesn't disappear from our collective spectrum.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline JazzBill

Me and my brother knew about the depression and the wars. Raised by my grandparents, they told us all about them. The shorts didn't seem as dated as L&H and the Little Rascals, and of course Chaplin and Keaton. It was funny to see the upper crust get their comeuppance.

I'm a little older than most of you as both my parents went thru the depression. It wasn't much better for me as the first years of my life were traveling around with the carnival. They eventually settled down and so did I. But I do cherish my early carnival days.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
I'm a little older than most of you as both my parents went thru the depression. It wasn't much better for me as the first years of my life were traveling around with the carnival. They eventually settled down and so did I. But I do cherish my early carnival days.
I'm as old as you Mr. JazzBill ... maybe not in years but as in parents of the depression

Offline Svengarlic

I've been meaning to address your carnival history, but frankly, I just don't know where to start. The modern Carney's I have met are a truly bizarre bunch of people.  But back in your childhood days...Oy Ve! I'd love to hear some stories if you are up to it.

And Fill-em: I may have you both trumped when it comes to depression era roots. MY folks were grandparents born in '02 and '07!  So I'll call your bread line and raise you a soup kitchen. [pie]

Offline JazzBill

I've been meaning to address your carnival history, but frankly, I just don't know where to start. The modern Carney's I have met are a truly bizarre bunch of people.  But back in your childhood days...Oy Ve! I'd love to hear some stories if you are up to it.

Well, it seems as if the little tricks of the trade I remember are pretty much common knowledge now. I guess because of the internet. We used to run a milk bottle game. The object was to knock 5 aluminum milk bottle shaped bottles off a base that was shaped like home plate. You couldn't just knock them over, they had to be off the base also. The trick was that some of the bottles were filled up with lead and weighed about 10 pounds. When you put the loaded bottles on the bottom even after a direct hit the bottle would usually fall over with a thud. Sometimes when we weren't getting much action or people were standing around and not playing my dad would change the location of the loaded bottles and put them on the top instead of the bottom. He would then have me throw at them and if I made anything close to a direct hit the bottles would fly off the base. Then hopefully people see me do it and think, if that kid could do it so can I. Sometimes if a guy seemed like a nice guy and spent a good sum of money my dad would give me a nod and that meant for me to put the loaded bottles on top and let the guy get his prize.
Another game we ran was the ring toss game. In this game there were blocks of wood with prizes on them. Most of the prizes were just junk and the blocks were legit. But some of the prizes were a little more expensive, things like knives, watches, lighters and bracelets were popular. The blocks under these were a little different. They were a little bigger and not really square. The only way you could get ring over one of these blocks is to beat it on with a hammer. If you were working the game you always made sure you kept an over sized ring in your hand. Every now and then someone would ask to see you slip a ring over the block and prove it would fit over it.
The carnival is where my dad met my mom. They were playing for a few days in a little country town in Wilmington Illinois. The story is, according  to my aunt, (my moms sister) that my mom was seen hanging around with a good looking city boy from the carnival. The night the carnival was leaving town my dad pulled in front of her house with a couple of his gypsy buddies. He beeped the horn and yelled "well, you staying or are you coming"? My mom ran to the car, threw her suitcase in and took off with him. And the rest as they say is history.     

Offline metaldams

Well, it seems as if the little tricks of the trade I remember are pretty much common knowledge now. I guess because of the internet. We used to run a milk bottle game. The object was to knock 5 aluminum milk bottle shaped bottles off a base that was shaped like home plate. You couldn't just knock them over, they had to be off the base also. The trick was that some of the bottles were filled up with lead and weighed about 10 pounds. When you put the loaded bottles on the bottom even after a direct hit the bottle would usually fall over with a thud. Sometimes when we weren't getting much action or people were standing around and not playing my dad would change the location of the loaded bottles and put them on the top instead of the bottom. He would then have me throw at them and if I made anything close to a direct hit the bottles would fly off the base. Then hopefully people see me do it and think, if that kid could do it so can I. Sometimes if a guy seemed like a nice guy and spent a good sum of money my dad would give me a nod and that meant for me to put the loaded bottles on top and let the guy get his prize.
Another game we ran was the ring toss game. In this game there were blocks of wood with prizes on them. Most of the prizes were just junk and the blocks were legit. But some of the prizes were a little more expensive, things like knives, watches, lighters and bracelets were popular. The blocks under these were a little different. They were a little bigger and not really square. The only way you could get ring over one of these blocks is to beat it on with a hammer. If you were working the game you always made sure you kept an over sized ring in your hand. Every now and then someone would ask to see you slip a ring over the block and prove it would fit over it.
The carnival is where my dad met my mom. They were playing for a few days in a little country town in Wilmington Illinois. The story is, according  to my aunt, (my moms sister) that my mom was seen hanging around with a good looking city boy from the carnival. The night the carnival was leaving town my dad pulled in front of her house with a couple of his gypsy buddies. He beeped the horn and yelled "well, you staying or are you coming"? My mom ran to the car, threw her suitcase in and took off with him. And the rest as they say is history.   

Those are some great stories, Bill.  Almost has a W. C. Fields ring to it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

Aha! The weighted bottles! Me and my big brother lost a bunch of dimes on that one. We must have lost at least half of our ride money on those games.

BTW Bill, which carnival did you travel with, and did you ever meet "Baby Flo" or the "Abomnible Snowman"? Or Robert Melvin, the original "Two-face"?

Offline JazzBill

Aha! The weighted bottles! Me and my big brother lost a bunch of dimes on that one. We must have lost at least half of our ride money on those games.

BTW Bill, which carnival did you travel with, and did you ever meet "Baby Flo" or the "Abomnible Snowman"? Or Robert Melvin, the original "Two-face"?

Travel with the carnival was not really a good choice of words. I did not travel the country and get all over place the way my dad did. My grandmother was a single mother who raised her two kids on the road during the depression. By the time the 50's and 60's came around he had a job as a truck driver and worked the carnival when he could. We used to run with a company called McDermott Amusements and to my surprise there is a faction of them still around today. We got out of the game in the late 60's because the times they were a changing. Too much fighting, racial problems and robberies. I really don't want to talk about the carnival any more but because we are discussing the Three Stooges in wartime I have a family photo of Carny's in wartime. I think a picture is worth a thousand words.

Offline Svengarlic

I see that the woman on your right has one of those milk can balls in her hand. You know, the Stooges could have done A LOT with a carnival episode. Imagine the possibilities.