Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Matri-Phony (1942)

metaldams · 39 · 19204

Offline metaldams

I'm always all for more Ethelreda.

LOL!  Well played.  The perfect reaction for Ms. Leopold.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Bunionhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Yikes!  I gave this 9/10 before?!  I ange-chay my ind-may... The ending, the palace scene when we're introducing Octupus, the plot... yikes!

7/10
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Yikes!  I gave this 9/10 before?!  I ange-chay my ind-may... The ending, the palace scene when we're introducing Octupus, the plot... yikes!

7/10

It's funny how the same short will give a completely different opinion at a different time.  I imagine when I revisit some older shorts a few reviews may not be my opinion now, who knows?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

When I've first seen "Matri-Phony" back in the mid 90's I wasn't too impressed with the short and thought it was mediocre, when I've seen it air on AMC in the early 2000's the short has really grown onto me and I now consider it to be a very good stooge short, I absolutely thought it was hilarious seeing Moe tell Curly "disguised as Diana" to get sexy and them seeing Cy Schindell fall victim as the unconscious enemy (something we'll see again in the first Shemp short "Fright Night".

Overall I give this short an 8 out of 10

Offline metaldams

Just watched this short again and man I never caught how sped up that last minute was.  Fast action and their voices sound like chipmunks, undercrank city.

My initial review I stand by.  I do think Harry Edwards, who did some great things in his heyday, may have been washed up at this point.  Bad edits and overly dramatized scenes for a comedy which should have been a classic but now is "just" good. Reading back that BeAStooge post, I again wish that beauty contest scene was here.

So glad I organized these threads, they are so much easier to find now.
- Doug Sarnecky

I really hope this gets through, but I hold out little hope.  Moronika asked me to disable my adBlock, and I said no, and since then none of my posts have posted.  I hope I'm wrong, because that would be a depressing way to go out.  Maybe I'm wrong and this will get thru, then someone can explain to me the real reason that my posts are not posting.

Offline metaldams

I really hope this gets through, but I hold out little hope.  Moronika asked me to disable my adBlock, and I said no, and since then none of my posts have posted.  I hope I'm wrong, because that would be a depressing way to go out.  Maybe I'm wrong and this will get thru, then someone can explain to me the real reason that my posts are not posting.

Your posts did post and good, I'd hate to lose you.  If there's any further issues, I would personal message Dunrobin, he's the tech guy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

The aforementioned production troubles explain the unevenness of "Matri-Phony." Nevertheless, the Stooges and Vernon Dent garner plenty of laughs — even though the crab scene is a pale shadow of Curly's "oyster stew" routine.  Harry Edwards' poorly staged ending may be the worst in Stooge history (and you can briefly hear the director's voice on the soundtrack, which would normally be deleted in post-production). When considering the comic potential of its Ancient Rome setting, one wishes "Matri-Phony" had turned out a little better.

7.5/10

Offline I. Cheatam

Was going to ask if it was the first short to use the 1942-44 version. May have also been the first to end with the Columbia logo that had "The End" and "A Columbia Short-Subject Presentation" in script form.

It was actually first used in the Andy Clyde two-reeler Sappy Birthday, released February 5, 1942.