Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Universal Horror '30s/'40s

Svengarlic · 142 · 38104

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Nothing like bumping up a decades old thread--it's good to be semi-retired...  :P

Just some random observations, since I'm reading The Immortal Count book & had Bela on my mind, anyway...

Mark of the Vampire - Like most folks have said, just lukewarm shenanigans that don't serve much purpose beyond the Lugosi "red herring" and the copout ending. May work better on the MGM double feature which has Fu Manchu...

Spooks Run Wild - Hope not to get roasted by the Bowery Boys section, but if not for Lugosi, I would have cried "Ed Wood" and gouged my own eyes out for sitting through it when I saw it on TCM. Garbage...  ::)

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Nothing like bumping up a decades old thread--it's good to be semi-retired...  :P

Just some random observations, since I'm reading The Immortal Count book & had Bela on my mind, anyway...

Mark of the Vampire - Like most folks have said, just lukewarm shenanigans that don't serve much purpose beyond the Lugosi "red herring" and the copout ending. May work better on the MGM double feature which has Fu Manchu...

Spooks Run Wild - Hope not to get roasted by the Bowery Boys section, but if not for Lugosi, I would have cried "Ed Wood" and gouged my own eyes out for sitting through it when I saw it on TCM. Garbage...  ::)

Mark of the Vampire has grown on me.  While the flaws remain true and it makes zero sense - I mean, how can they exactly act out a scene from a year ago one man was witness to, for starters - the atmosphere is cool, Lionel Barrymore dines on the scenery and the film is fun if you don't take it too seriously.

Spooks Run Wild is bad and I just watched a few months back.  Bowery Boys were better served when they were actually billed as such, even more so when directed by Edward Bernds after he left Columbia.  Diesel, hunt those movies down.

Also, hang around, in a few months when the Keaton reviews are done, we'll be discussing the Healy stuff.  I would love to see you chip in.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Did the best I could with my iPod camera, so sorry if the autograph can't be seen perfectly, but here's a picture of Josephine Hutchinson's autograph I had.  She played Mrs. Frankenstein in SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, i.e. Basil Rathbone's wife.  When my grandmother died in 2007, we found this in the family photo album she had.  Doing the research, Ms. Hutchinson played Alice in Alice in Wonderland on stage around 1934, so this was probably done then.  My grandmother was 12 at the time and in the Bronx.

The autograph is to "Flavio."  Both the the name of my great grandfather and his son, my great uncle who was 10 at the time, so I don't know which one she signed it to.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Don't know if I can offer much to the "Ted Healy" discussion--aside from the obvious--Ted just isn't that good. The only worthwhile clips I can think of is the stuff from The Three Stooges Story; clips that are actually pretty fucking funny when said trio is around (the customer is always right)...

As for something sorta Bela related; one day I have to sit down and watch Braodminded--it may be the farce of 1931 by some accounts....   :P
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Don't know if I can offer much to the "Ted Healy" discussion--aside from the obvious--Ted just isn't that good. The only worthwhile clips I can think of is the stuff from The Three Stooges Story; clips that are actually pretty fucking funny when said trio is around (the customer is always right)...

As for something sorta Bela related; one day I have to sit down and watch Braodminded--it may be the farce of 1931 by some accounts....   :P

I read the Arthur Lennig Lugosi book years ago - I'm thinking of revisiting it soon, and yes, I remember the high praise he gave BROADMINDED.  I watched that film once on TCM and believe every word Lennig says, Lugosi can play comedy.  I need to hunt down a copy of that film.  Marjorie White and Thelma Todd are in it too.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

This thread was great. Best I've read. It brought back many memories from childhood, peeking the TV from under the covers. Nowadays 20 somethings can't abide a black and white movie, but (except for cartoon features) I prefer my suspense and horror in B&W.

There's little I can add to this discussion, but there's something that struck a chord in me: One poster asked about the image a woman sees in the mirror on a TV feature! I saw it, but only once and I can't pull up the memory. However, I think I can narrow down the possibilities. In syndication I saw each and and every Hitchcock and Twilight Zone episodes many times over, so we can rule them out.

It's safe to say that a plot scheme this limited wouldn't fit in a 60 minute format, so that gets rid of the hour-long Hitchcock and the Karloff hosted "Thriller" and "The Outer Limits". I'm thinking it was a 15 or 20 minute feature like Serling's NIGHT GALLERY, that showed 3 or 4 vignettes per show. That's all I have on that (for now)

I'm always pleased to find out something new that I didn't know about in the Universal Horror genre, and there's lots of good stuff in these five pages. Last year I came across something interesting about a scene in the '31 DRACULA: There is something about a lamp on a table in Mina's sickroom that's puzzling to this day. It's unclear if it's a lighting gaff or just a towel thrown over the lamp to diffuse the light for the scene, or a representation  of how folks dimmed a room in those days, or something else!

If memory serves the "towel" jumps from one lamp to another in different scenes in what could be the worst production/lighting/editing blunder in Universal history! At any rate I'm going to hunt for that scene that I probably found on You Tube and get back to you with the link...wish me luck.

EDIT: I found it. I tell you it's a must watch. But I had it wrong as it was a "hunk of cardboard", not a towel  :(

The narrator is funny and cracked me up but is also a serious horror geek that knows his stuff.

Offline Moose Malloy

After re-watching I remember that I watched ALL of this guys' (monster related) stuff that I could find. I highly recommend THIS one too.

Offline Umbrella Sam

After re-watching I remember that I watched ALL of this guys' (monster related) stuff that I could find. I highly recommend THIS one too.

Thought I was the only person on here who watched James Rolfe's videos. He also reviewed the Three Stooges video game in this video (for the record, I agree with him on the clam chowder game, but disagree with him on the boxing and doctors games):

“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Moose Malloy

I'm not into the game thing. The only game cartridge I ever played was the Mike Tyson Punch-out and Glass Joe kicked my ass. But the host cracked me up. I wish he would review some 70's-80's TV shows.

Offline metaldams

I'm not into the game thing. The only game cartridge I ever played was the Mike Tyson Punch-out and Glass Joe kicked my ass. But the host cracked me up. I wish he would review some 70's-80's TV shows.

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out is one of the few games I was great at.  I kicked Mike Tyson's ass!  I too haven't played video games in years.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out is one of the few games I was great at.  I kicked Mike Tyson's ass!  I too haven't played video games in years.
Well, you got those quick guitar pickin' fingers. My best game was Asteroids. I had a little store and had one put in. After closing I would play that game for hours, alone, in the dark. I got as good as Costanza/Frogger.

One of these days I'm gonna find and procure an old stand up (my fave) Ms. Pac-Man game and put it right in the living room!

Offline Umbrella Sam

So James finally did a Three Stooges retrospective (he’d mentioned he was going to try doing one a few years ago). Pretty cool to watch. He even used one of hiramhorwitz’s pictures at one point.

Beating Mike Tyson in Punch-Out is actually considered one of the great video game achievements, so great job. As for me...eh, never been very good at that game.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline hiramhorwitz

So James finally did a Three Stooges retrospective (he’d mentioned he was going to try doing one a few years ago). Pretty cool to watch. He even used one of hiramhorwitz’s pictures at one point.

Sam, thank you for the heads up on this retrospective discussion and on the appearance of my photo with Moe.  Always good to hear chums speak warmly about the great talents known as The Three Stooges!

Offline Curly Van Dyke

I Loved Acquanetta in Dead Man's Eyes,a Inner Sanctum Episode and the Paula the Ape Woman films.
She wasn't a Great Actress,but an Exotic Beauty with a Fantastic Figure!
Of course she really shined as Lea,the Leopard Woman in the classic Tarzan and the Leopard Woman(1946)
with Johnny Weissmuller-My Favorite Tarzan film. Any other Leopard Woman fans out there?

Offline metaldams

I Loved Acquanetta in Dead Man's Eyes,a Inner Sanctum Episode and the Paula the Ape Woman films.
She wasn't a Great Actress,but an Exotic Beauty with a Fantastic Figure!
Of course she really shined as Lea,the Leopard Woman in the classic Tarzan and the Leopard Woman(1946)
with Johnny Weissmuller-My Favorite Tarzan film. Any other Leopard Woman fans out there?

Never saw the big deal with Acquanetta.  While pretty, I don’t find her out of this world beautiful to make up for her lack of acting chops.  I know a lot of monster fans like her, though.

With old school horror, lots of pretty girls, but Evelyn Ankers and Fay Wray were both gorgeous and good actresses.  As I’ve gotten older I’ve found Gloria Holden in DRACULA’S DAUGHTER quite hypnotising.  Appropriate, considering the role.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

If I may paraphrase the great Fred Sanford, Acquanetta had a "fine little frame" but that's about it. She's the only thing that ruins an otherwise fine little Inner Sanctum chiller that she was in. Nice to see Gloria get mentioned--the one movie that defines her & she was excellent...

Offline metaldams

If I may paraphrase the great Fred Sanford, Acquanetta had a "fine little frame" but that's about it. She's the only thing that ruins an otherwise fine little Inner Sanctum chiller that she was in. Nice to see Gloria get mentioned--the one movie that defines her & she was excellent...

Gloria Holden was in her mid thirties when she did DRACULA’S DAUGHTER.  When I was in my early twenties my attitude was, “maybe.”  Now I’m 40 and it’s a resounding, “Hell yes.”  When I mature into Maria Ouspenskaya circa 1941, you can throw the dirt on my grave.  [pie]  But yes, Ms. Holden was fantastic in that movie, no doubt.  The only thing that brings DRACULA’S DAUGHTER down are the screwball comedy scenes.  Very inappropriate to the atmosphere of the film, which I love otherwise.

Speaking of the Inner Sanctum series and Universal Horror ladies, WEIRD WOMAN may be the magnum opus of ladies in horror.  Evelyn Ankers never had a bitchier role in her life and Anne Gwynne plays innocent and mysterious at the same time.  Great stuff.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly Van Dyke

I mentioned Brenda Joyce,A Gorgeous Blonde with Great Legs.
Mostly known as Weissmuller's Jane at RKO but was in 2 Inner Sanctums- Pillow of Death
and Strange Confession. She had a Wholesome Sexiness..

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I will agree with the love for Brenda; Pillow of Death was probably the weakest of the Inner Sanctums, but Strange Confession was excellent....

Offline Shemp_Diesel

After watching Voodoo Man on youtube, I'll say sometimes, reading about a bad movie is better than watching it. Better than the "Devil Bat," however....    >:D

Offline metaldams

After watching Voodoo Man on youtube, I'll say sometimes, reading about a bad movie is better than watching it. Better than the "Devil Bat," however....    >:D

Voodoo Man and The Devil Bat both rule.  Lugosi’s cryptic “goodbyes” peddling aftershave plus George Zucco in a fuzzy sweater are some simple joys in life I’ll never be without.

OK, neither are good in a standard sense, but that’s not the spirit of 40’s Monogram and PRC horrors.  Mindless fun.

Speaking of 40’s Monogram, I still need to see those Shemp features.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yes, if Swing Parade of 1946 is any indicator, Monogram did make one really good poverty row feature--I'm just wondering if I should watch anymore produced by Wild Sam starring Bela. For an hour, VM wasn't a total waste; I might liken it to watching Dunked in the Deep...  :laugh:

Offline metaldams

Yes, if Swing Parade of 1946 is any indicator, Monogram did make one really good poverty row feature--I'm just wondering if I should watch anymore produced by Wild Sam starring Bela. For an hour, VM wasn't a total waste; I might liken it to watching Dunked in the Deep...  :laugh:

INVISIBLE GHOST and THE CORPSE VANISHES are the best in the traditional sense.  BLACK DRAGONS is worth it for seeing Lugosi exchange comically flirtatious dialogue with the leading lady.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Here is a link to "Broadminded."

https://ok.ru/video/1283608087184

Thank you!  I saw that movie years ago on TCM and proves without a shadow of a doubt Bela Lugosi could play straight comedy.  Stars Joe E. Brown and also has Thelma Todd and Woman Hater’s own Marjorie White.

Another one I’ll consider reviewing.
- Doug Sarnecky