Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Some More of Samoa (1941)

metaldams · 31 · 15331

Offline metaldams

I guess I never gave it much thought, but I'll cop ignorance to the mating habits of trees.  My statement above had me thinking of two trees actually doing Kama Sutra stuff, which I can't picture two trees doing.

For the record, science was by far my worst subject. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

"Some More Of Samoa" was one short I've initially thought was an average Stooge short when I've first seen it, several years later I grew to appreciate the humor and the greatness of the short and it's now a near classic, I loved the bit where Moe tells Larry to put his foot in the alligator's mouth and Larry refuses and Moe tells him to take the lower half and like it or Larry literally picking up the tracks (footprints), I've thought the second half of the short features some of Larry's best performances during the Curly era.

Overall I give this short a 9/10

Offline metaldams

"Some More Of Samoa" was one short I've initially thought was an average Stooge short when I've first seen it, several years later I grew to appreciate the humor and the greatness of the short and it's now a near classic, I loved the bit where Moe tells Larry to put his foot in the alligator's mouth and Larry refuses and Moe tells him to take the lower half and like it or Larry literally picking up the tracks (footprints), I've thought the second half of the short features some of Larry's best performances during the Curly era.

Overall I give this short a 9/10

I had the same reaction upon reviewing...pre-conceived notion of it being average, only to find I like it a lot better than I remember.  Welcome to the board.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Another Stooge classic that was never shown on my local TV station — I had to wait until its home-video debut in the early 1980s.  A nice change of pace thanks to the Rhum Boogie setting, "Some More of Samoa" gets better with repeated viewings.  Great stuff.

9/10

Again, I'm very late with this, but I think it's news we can use:  there is a website called Travalanche which concerns itself with Vaudeville and old movies and shows.  Just last month he ran  a short article about Billy Reed and The Little Club, which was apparently a hot little Manhattan eatery in the post-WWII years.  Billy Reed was the owner/front man/host/ house comic.  Trav ran a second picture in the article ( rare for him ) of Billy Reed, and that's Mr. Winthrop, all righty.  Check it out.  And Travalanche , if you haven't yet discovered it, is a very informative website of interest to any Moronikan.

And while I'm at it, I'm reminded of another favorite one-hit wonder ( although Billy Reed is now a two-hit wonder, being also Mr Scroggins ), Lew Kelley , Professor Dunkfeather in Spook Louder.  He turned up as the Sheriff in W C Fields's The Old Fashioned Way, that we knew,  but I recently discovered a factoid that he was a Vaudeville monologist whose character was an opium addict, of all things.  He certainly looked the part.  He went way back to the 1910's, when opium was as notorious as crack was in the 1980's.  He would have been the Mitch Hedburg of 1915.