Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Popular music references in Stooges' shorts

Offline Signor Spumoni

Is there a discussion thread, old or new, about the references to popular music in Stooges' shorts?  I always enjoy it when I hear these joking references, such as when I saw "Booby Dupes" today and heard a roundabout reference to a popular song, "Milkman, Keep Those Bottles Quiet."  Somehow I never noticed that before today.

Offline Paul Allen

Is there a discussion thread, old or new, about the references to popular music in Stooges' shorts?  I always enjoy it when I hear these joking references, such as when I saw "Booby Dupes" today and heard a roundabout reference to a popular song, "Milkman, Keep Those Bottles Quiet."  Somehow I never noticed that before today.

At the 1:30 mark, "Hey Fishmen!" -- "Keep those records quiet."

Offline Signor Spumoni

Exactly right, Paul Allen!  :)  Are you a music lover, too? 

There are so many more, if anyone's interested.

Offline Paul Allen

Exactly right, Paul Allen!  :)  Are you a music lover, too?

My love for music really only goes back as far as the mid-1950's, but it's fun for me to learn of anything associated with the Stooges.

I'm interested in knowing what other songs you have in mind that the 3 Stooges made reference to.

Thanks, Signor Spumoni !

Paul Allen

Offline Signor Spumoni

Hello, Paul Allen - - My apologies for taking so long to get back with another.  It's a combination of being busy and other things which forces me to lead a productive life instead of being a Stooge-a-holic, as I'd like.    :D
Here's one for you.  It's from "All Gummed Up," at the 6:02 mark, spoken by Larry.  I don't know how to embed the video the way you did, so here's the link.

It's the way Larry says the line that gave me the song link; I'm embarrassed to admit it took years for me to figure out which song it was. 

In case you get busy, too, let me wish you a happy Thanksgiving!

Offline Paul Allen

I've done some searching, but haven't come up with the song title, yet.

6:02 mark...

ThumpTheShoes

I've done some searching, but haven't come up with the song title, yet.

Also referenced here, at about 5:19:

Offline Signor Spumoni

Right you are, ThumpTheShoes!  I didn't know it was in that Joe Besser short, too.  I don't watch the Joes.
BTW, I like your signature - - I always crack up when the Stooges throw in some Yiddish. 

I'll have another reference soon.  Actually I have one right now from "What's the Matador," but it seems that portion is available only if one pays to see it, and I'm too cheap for that.

I thought of another one.  This is from "Some More of Samoa."  It's at the 4:09 - 4:10 mark here: 

Offline Paul Allen

Right you are, ThumpTheShoes!  I didn't know it was in that Joe Besser short, too.  I don't watch the Joes.

Makes me wonder why Larry didn't say. "Lay that pestle down, man!", instead of "Put that pestle down, man!" ?

Offline Paul Allen

I thought of another one.  This is from "Some More of Samoa."  It's at the 4:09 - 4:10 mark here:

At the 4:09 mark . . .

ThumpTheShoes

And who could forget (or forget to remember?) this little gem at 4:28? (You'll need to jump to Youtube to watch):

Give up? Title given away here at 9:49:

And the original song is on.. you guess it! Youtube!!

Offline Signor Spumoni

Full marks to you, Paul Allen! 
As an aside, one of Desi Arnaz' many hits, with his orchestra, was a song about how he'd rather hear the rhumba (than swing).  I wish I could recall the title.  Anyway, one line in the lyrics says, "Don't beat me, daddy, with an eight foot bar."   :laugh:
I, too, wondered why Larry didn't say, "*Lay* that pestle down, man."  According to Moe, Larry seldom rehearsed, so maybe he made a mistake on that one. 

ThumpTheShoes, you gave us a good one.  I never knew The Monkees referenced "Flat-Foot Floogie," but I've not watched them since they were on originally.  Do you know what a floogie was, and why a floogie's feet were flat?  I'm sure you do, but if not, I'll tell you.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I have a new song reference which is also a movie reference.  This is an easy one, and it's the title of a short:  "Vagabond Loafers." 

Offline JazzBill

That Lay That Pistol Down Babe song is also in the Shemp solo short "Strange Affair".  It starts at the 01:10:34 mark. I couldn't find it on Youtube.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Signor Spumoni

Thank you, JazzBill.  That's interesting.  Aside from a minute or so of Shemp's appearance in "Pittsburgh," I've not seen any of the Stooges' solo work - - oh, I do remember seeing Joe Besser as Stinky in Abbott and Costello's show.

If you don't mind going all the way back to Booby Dupes, Curly misquotes the title ( he calls it "Don't Chop the Wood, Mother, Father's coming Home With a Load"), but there's legitimately a tune recorded by Bob Crosby and the Bobcats called " Here Comes Your Pappy With the Wrong Kind of Load ".

Also, I forget the episode, but at some point Moe has got Curly's ear in a pair of scissors, and Curly yells " I surrender, Dear, I surrender".  The "dear " is rather inexplicable unless you realize that " I Surrender Dear " was a big hit for Bing Crosby around that time.

Also, the exchange "I'll take LaMarr" "I'll take Lamour" "I'll take LaZonga with six lessons" refers to the Jimmy Dorsey big-band hit " Six Lessons from Madame LaZonga ".  That's in one of the Hitler spoofs, I forget which one.

I just thought of another one:  in Boobs In Arms,  Richard Fiske says, at least twice, " Everything Happens to Me ".  This is the title of a song that was popular right around then.