Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

New 3 Stooges (1965) question

Offline stoogerascalfan62

Where were the indoor live-action scenes filmed? I doubt if they were at Columbia.

I believe I read somewhere ( probably somewhere here at the forum ) that some were filmed at some cheap-ass studio that had been a supermarket.  Some were obviously on location, at a marina, or a golf course, or a zoo,  etc. etc.

Offline AbridgedPause

Who was paying for this studio time? Was it self-financed by the Stooges as C3?

I think it was a Normandy Production, no?  That would mean that Norman Mauer's production company paid for it.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Who was paying for this studio time?

Cambria Productions, the cartoon series' production company.

N3S was a co-production of Dick Brown's Cambria and Norman Maurer's Normandy Productions.
  • Cambria financed the entire project, and produced the animation segments
  • Normandy provided the talent on a salary/profit participation deal, and produced the live-action segments on a Cambria budget

I haven't seen these in many, many years, and though I remember the cartoons being nothing, I thought then and still do now that the live wraparounds weren't bad.  Some better than others, of course.  I was a kid when all the DeRita stuff was coming out, and yes, they were now aiming at my age group ( say, ten ), but it was undeniably exciting at that age that by God, they were still around, and by God, THERE THEY WERE! Yes, we knew Curly and Shemp were both dead, and we all hated Besser, but DeRita was passable.  We were fine with it as I recall.  The only real downer was that in some of the wraparounds, Moe looked severely elderly.

Offline middlenamewayne

I remember the cartoons being nothing,
I thought then and still do now that the live wraparounds weren't bad.

I would dismiss the cartoons as a product of their time and (no) budget, except that then you look at Jay Ward's output and that of the Roger Ramjet people, and they used the visual drawbacks as an excuse for tricky verbal humor -- often as well as on South Park today!

Probably the best thing to compare to the relative merits of the live
wraps would be the 1938 Stooges At Steel Pier color short: