Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Loco Boy Makes Good (1942)

metaldams · 31 · 13099

Offline metaldams

I know it's several years late, but here is a link to Harold Lloyd's uncut "Movie Crazy" (the 1953 reissue runs 79 minutes). Both versions of the "magician's coat" scene are hilarious yet markedly different. The Stooges and Buster Keaton had the ability to make Lloyd's material their own without any sense of duplication.

"Loco Boy Makes Good" is a solid 9/10. 

Just reviewed SAFETY LAST a few days ago, but yeah, I’m due a refresher direct comparison of the two scenes for sure. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Here we have a pretty middle-of-the-road Curly effort.  The first half is my favorite part (those dummies never get old), but the nightclub portion goes on too long with too few laughs (again, Curly shorts being held to a higher standard).

#141. Loco Boy Makes Good

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I want to add one fact to this discussion.

In the scene where the boys encounter the landlord, Curly knocks the man's head off and says, "Why don't you get your head Simonized?"  Simoniz is a brand of car wax that was extremely popular until about 40 years ago, and it is particularly used by those who like their car really shiny.  So, Curly is telling the man to get his scalp waxed  [pie]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
I want to add one fact to this discussion.

In the scene where the boys encounter the landlord, Curly knocks the man's head off and says, "Why don't you get your head Simonized?"  Simoniz is a brand of car wax that was extremely popular until about 40 years ago, and it is particularly used by those who like their car really shiny.  So, Curly is telling the man to get his scalp waxed  [pie]

"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!