Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

In the Sweet Pie and Pie (1941)

metaldams · 28 · 15231

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

I wish I could give "In the Sweet Pie and Pie" a solid 10, but I agree with metaldams. The clumsy stunt doubling for Curly does bother me and there was no need for the "Hoi Polloi" stock footage (the short was long enough already). 

This brings up an issue regarding Jules White's early penchant for stock footage. It's one thing for Jules to recycle footage from a short he directed (such as in "Dizzy Pilots"), but to lift a scene from a Del Lord effort (and not give him credit) is really tacky. Famous Studios pulled this crap all the time in the late 1940s and early '50s by cannibalizing the Max Fleischer Technicolor two-reelers for their Popeye "cheaters."

Another problem lies in the time span. When Jules utilized a "Dizzy Doctors" excerpt in "From Nurse to Worse," the footage was only three years old and it matched well. However, "Hoi Polloi" was filmed in 1935 and the six-year difference was painfully obvious. The same goes for the "Pardon My Scotch" scene Jules added to "Dizzy Detectives."

There were no budget cuts in the early 1940s, which makes it regrettable that Jules recycled footage when it wasn't necessary. It's interesting to note that, with the exception of the closing scene in "A Ducking They Did Go," Del never used stock footage in his Stooge two-reelers.

Happily, the prison scenes and iconic pie fight easily redeem these few missteps.

8.5/10

Actually Del Lord did use stock footage from the 1939 stooge short "Three Little Sew And Sews" onto his 1943 stooge short "They Stooge To Conga" although it was a brief scene.

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Once again, I'm in the minority on this one.  The pie fight is great, but the rest of the short, just average.

#103. In The Sweet Pie And Pie

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Motion Picture Herald: "What the Picture Did for Me" (February 1942)