Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Marx Bros. TV Collection

Linked Events

• Marx Bros. TV Collection on DVD: August 12, 2014 - August 18, 2014

Offline Final Shemp

• I'm sawin' a saw in half with a saw, see?
  • Applehead

Offline Larrys#1

Whoa!  Interesting.  I'd like to know what's gonna be on this set.  I have all 13 of their movies on DVD.

Same. Did the Marx Bros have a TV show? I don't recall...

Offline archiezappa

Same. Did the Marx Bros have a TV show? I don't recall...

I know they did some television specials, like "The Incredible Jewel Robbery."  They did some more stuff like that as well.  I'm just curious at what the content is, specifically.  Surely the above mentioned special will be a part of this set.

Offline falsealarms

Here's the synopsis for this very intriguing set, which is slated for an 8/12/14 release:

The Marx Brothers became entertainment icons through a long and brilliant career on vaudeville and Broadway stages, and they sealed their immortality in a string of celebrated feature films.   But the end of their film career was perfectly timed for a collision with the birth of television. The new medium provided Groucho, Chico and Harpo with unprecedented exposure — which meant, of course, an opportunity to bring laughter to millions of people all at once.  It was as if live vaudeville was being beamed to the entire nation. For the next 20 years, the Marx Brothers' appearances on television — individually and together — included sitcoms, game shows, variety programs and even the occasional drama.

This first of its kind set — featuring long-lost material from the Marx Brothers' own collections — presents a broad and genuinely rare array of television work from the comedy legends, who still had plenty of laughs left in them after the movies. For Marx Brothers fans — and fans of comedy in general — this is truly must–see TV.

Over 50 Television Appearances

GE Theater, The Jack Benny Program, The Jackie Gleason Show, The Colgate Comedy Hour, The Dick Cavett Show, All Star Revue, The Dinah Shore Chevy Show, Kraft Music Hall, The Red Skelton Hour, The RCA Victor Show, The Perry Como Show, The Arthur Murray Party, Championship Bridge, Celebrity Golf, Celebrity Billiards and many, many more!

If you order directly from Shout! Factory, you get the following incentives:

- FREE standard U.S. shipping
- EARLY shipping (7/15/14)
- FREE bonus DVD: More Bits And Pieces

http://www.shoutfactory.com/product/marx-brothers-tv-collection-bonus-dvd

Offline locoboymakesgood

I've seen Duck Soup once, and watched The Big Store with my dad when it was on TCM in the early 2000s. I've been meaning to watch the rest of their movies and whatnot, and  given if you order this from the Shout! Factory website you get a nice bonus disc, I picked this up over the weekend.

I'm looking forward to diving in..
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline metaldams

I will have to get this.  The Marx Brothers gave us 13 movies, which somehow does not seem like enough.  The later MGM's, while they have their moments, aren't pure Marx Brothers either, with all the romantic subplot stuff.  This set feels like something I need, never mind want.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Enjoying the set so far, the Jack Benny episode with Groucho is a riot.  That said, I'm watching the College Bowl episode with Chico from 1951.  Though not credited anywhere, I have found who I believe to be a Stooge supporting player of the female variety, and not just any old player, but the immortal.....

http://www.threestooges.net/cast/actor/682

I can find no Internet credit to verify this, but she's pretty unmistakable.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

Did you get it directly from the Shout! Factory website, metaldams? I received mine in the mail on Thursday but have not had a chance to open it, yet.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline metaldams

Did you get it directly from the Shout! Factory website, metaldams? I received mine in the mail on Thursday but have not had a chance to open it, yet.

Yes, directly from the website, so I got the extra DVD.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I'm watching the College Bowl episode with Chico from 1951.  Though not credited anywhere, I have found who I believe to be a Stooge supporting player of the female variety, and not just any old player, but the immortal.....

http://www.threestooges.net/cast/actor/682

I can find no Internet credit to verify this, but she's pretty unmistakable.

Yes, that's Muriel Landers.  She's feature-mentioned in COLLEGE BOWL's closing credits.

Offline metaldams

Yes, that's Muriel Landers.  She's feature-mentioned in COLLEGE BOWL's closing credits.

Thanks Brent.  I made that post a minute after seeing her.  I paused the film, did the research found nothing, and made the post.  Then I finish watching the film and sure enough, Muriel is mentioned in the credits.
- Doug Sarnecky