Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series, 11/4/14 - DVD

Offline falsealarms

Shout Factory is slated to release all four seasons of The Phil Silvers Show on DVD on Nov. 4.

The 143 episodes will be spread over 20 discs. There is no word on any extras.

If you order from Shout Factory (link above) the set ships four weeks early (Oct. 7). The current price is 104.99.

A pre-order on Amazon should follow soon.

Most episodes of Phil Silvers Show have not previously been released on DVD. In 2006, Paramount released an 18-episode "best of" collection. The complete first season followed in 2010.

All 143 hilarious episodes!

One of the all-time classics from the golden age of television, Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show: The Complete Series has finally arrived on DVD. This multiple Emmy® Award winner, which originally aired from 1955-1959, was one of early television’s biggest smashes and still commands attention today as both a hilarious sitcom and a star-making showcase for legendary comedian Phil Silvers (It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World) in his signature role as Master Sergeant Ernest G. Bilko.

Running the motor pool at Fort Baxter, the cagey Sgt. Bilko has always got an ace up his sleeve and a scheme in his head. From get-rich-quick scams to plots designed to keep himself free from the drudgery of work, he’s always running an angle that will be sure to leave his commanding officer Colonel Hall tearing out his hair — and viewers in stitches!

Featuring a memorable supporting cast, including Harvey Lembeck, Allan Melvin, Joe E. Ross, and Paul Ford, the 143 episodes in this set represent a true masterpiece of American comedy. With some of the snappiest jokes and kookiest characters of all time, Sgt. Bilko -The Phil Silvers Show: The Complete Series is an essential piece of any classic television fan’s collection.

Discs: 20   
Video region: Region 1
Color: Black & White
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Language: English

Offline falsealarms

Bonus features:

Lost Audition Show
Original Network Opening
Original Cast Commercials
Photo Gallery
Audio commentaries with Allan Melvin, George Kennedy, Mickey Freeman, Larry Storch and Dick Van Dyke
“Lucy and the Efficiency Expert” (from The Lucy Show season 5)
Allan Melvin (Cpl. Henshaw) Episode Introductions
Promo for The New Phil Silvers Show
“Harry, the Good Neighbor” from The New Phil Silvers Show
Interviews with Phil Silvers
Phil Silvers and Jack Benny on The Dick Cavett Show
Footage from the 1959 TV Special Keep In Step
The Cast of Phil Silvers On Broadway
New Interviews with Cathy, Tracey and Nancey Silvers

Offline metaldams

Gotta level with you, I've heard of this show, but have never seen it.  Any fans here?  If so, how does this compare to other old TV shows or classic comedians?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Although I've not seen this show in years, I was a fan of it.  I'd watch it again if it were on a broadcast channel near me.  In my opinion, it helps if you're a fan of Phil Silvers' shtick.  The DVDs are probably the way to go because they won't hack up the episodes in order to cram in countless commercials.

Just a side note:  Phil Silvers was the mystery guest on "What's My Line" in 1955, when his show was on the air, and he showed up in his Bilko costume.  :)

Offline locoboymakesgood

I watched it in the late 90s when it was on TV Land. I really liked it. I'll pick it up when it gets a bit more affordable -- although with it being Shout Factory I'm guessing its not too likely anytime soon.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Though it isn't nearly as well-known nowadays, this show ranks up there with I Love Lucy and the Honeymooners as one of the best TV comedies of that era.

A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks, but that's actually not a bad price for 4 seasons/142 episodes... especially since this show isn't shown on TV all that often anymore. It was on MeTV for awhile -- at 4 AM -- but it's not even on there anymore.