Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Rockin’ in the Rockies (1945) - The Three Stooges

Offline metaldams

OK, let’s get the Curly health timeline out of the way first.  I view ROCKIN’ IN THE ROCKIES as the last Stooge film where Curly was in somewhat reasonable health, if not good health.  Shot in December 1944, we’re still in the time frame where Curly, obviously well past his WE WANT OUR MUMMY era peak, is still much better than he was a mere three months later in IF A BODY MEETS A BODY and the other shorts going forward.  IDIOTS DE LUXE was shot two months before this.  So this is what I consider the last of the past his prime but still somewhat normal Curly era, which was around 1943 - 1944.  January 1945 is when things really started going down hill and the medical help escalated, according to bios.

Years ago, when we were doing one Curly short a week, I almost included ROCKIN’ IN THE ROCKIES as an entry.  The Three Stooges are top billed in this one but then again - not really.  In reality ROCKIN’ IN THE ROCKIES is very much a variety show/ensemble piece type b picture where no one is truly the star.  Not one person in the cast is billed above the title, it just so happens when it’s time to list the cast members, The Three Stooges are mentioned first.  I agree with that billing arrangement because this isn’t really a Three Stooges film or anyone else’s film for that matter.  Just a picture where they try to do more than one thing and don’t 100% succeed at any of those things.

We have singing cowboys, a bare minimum plot that is just enough to get through, a couple of pretty girls who also sing and are involved in bare bones romances - one of them being with Moe, of all people; and yes, Three Stooges comedy.  The latter I will talk about the most but as far as the other things, nothing overly offensive and only two things really stood out for my tastes.  Gladys Blake’s “Upstairs, Downstairs” number is a bit on the sexy side and later on, when the swingin’ and singin’ cowboys are doing their musical number, an electric guitar solo is played.  My interest perked up during these two non Stooge moments because I like pretty girls and I like guitars, but these are only fleeting moments.  I do have to wonder how certain members of the public back in the day felt about these kind of films when they try to shoehorn so many elements in barely over an hour.  The more elements you throw in, surely you’re going to lose a portion of the audience for a portion of the film.  How many people truly like all this stuff?  What interests me of all these elements won’t interest most others and vice versa.

Now one thing on this board I know we are all interested in and at least I wish the producers and writers would have done justice to is The Three Stooges.  When it came to the shorts, it took the Joe Besser era to give Moe his real life haircut and to split him from the team in certain shorts.  Throw these guys in features in the forties and the confusion is ahead of schedule by more than a decade.  For all the people over the years who wish The Three Stooges made some features with Curly, ROCKIN’ IN THE ROCKIES is living proof as to why it’s good this did not happen and we got those ninety seven shorts instead.  It’s not until the final third of the film The Three Stooges are truly a team and even there, there’s only a few moments where the focus is truly on them and not some other element of the variety show we have on display here.

The set up is Larry and Curly are always teamed and Moe, until later on, is separate from them.  In the beginning, Moe is trying to con Larry and a Curly out of their money like Bud Abbott would do to Lou Costello.  Moe plays it way too straight here, lacking Abbott’s energy, comic seediness and a well written script where humor can derive from such a situation.  There is also a scene where Larry and Curly try to get on a horse and fall down that completely lacks energy - the normal energy being an angry Moe, who is absent here.  Instead we have them speaking in an uncharacteristically gentlemanly manner to each other that flat out doesn’t work.  Oh, and then there’s the mining scene where Larry is taking turns smacking a spike into the ground and then on Curly’s head.  So far, so good.  Moe even shows up.  Nice!  But then, the goodness ends there as the spike bit doesn’t develop into a great slapstick scene at all like it would in a two reelers.  As for Moe?  Why involve him in the comedy when he can speak to another character while this is happening so the plot can be advanced?  What, you mean that’s not what you want to see?  Same here.  Oy vey.

About forty eight minutes into this sixty seven minute film, Moe finally emerges, drags Curly and Larry into a room by physical force and then they pose as termite exterminators and harass a straight man in the process of harassing each other at the same time.  These few precious minutes are easily the highlight of the film.  The movie lights up when the real Three Stooges finally are on screen and I wish we could see more of this.  Of all the ninety seven shorts, even the very worst has more classic Stooge moments than this sixty seven minute feature.  An interesting movie, at least, and the closest we will get to a starring feature with Curly as the third Stooge.  However, a big disappointment because they were not used close to their full capacity.  It’s been years since I’ve seen them, but I remember SWING PARADE OF 1946 and TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM, features where The Three Stooges are blatantly not the stars, getting more good comic moments than this.  I will revisit these at some point and when I do, you can be sure I’ll review them.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I remember seeing this years ago and my memory of it is that it was not a good movie.

The obvious issue is that the Stooges are not a true team in this and I still can’t figure out why anyone thought that was a good idea. It’s understandable that the cast and crew of the shorts department would want to vary things up every now and then, but if you’re going to take a leap into features, wouldn’t you want to throw your best foot forward? I’m not blaming the Stooges for this; I highly doubt they wanted to make the movie this way. However, considering this was a Columbia production, you would have thought someone in upper management would have seen the financial risk of splitting the Stooges up like this and put a stop to it.

For what it’s worth, I don’t recall Larry and Curly being a bad team or anything, but there is always that awkward feeling that Moe is nearby and not taking full advantage of a good comedic situation. I do recall that termite exterminators scene, metaldams, and I agree that it is easily the best part of the film. From what I can remember, though, the rest of it was just a generic film with dull romances and singing cowboys. It certainly could have been worse (at least the horses don’t talk), but this was not a good example of their work in features (TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM and GOLD RAIDERS are much better examples, even though they’re not the stars of the former).
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Good review of a disappointing feature that wasn't conceived for Moe, Larry and Curly — the same way that "Love Happy" was never intended to be a Marx Brothers film. A "take-it-or-leave-it" musical-comedy jamboree, Columbia shoehorned the Three Stooges into "Rockin' in the Rockies" as a last-minute substitution and gave Moe the uncharacteristic role of Shorty Williams (which might have worked if Curly and Larry weren't in the film).

I remember an interview in which Moe stated that the two-reel format was ideal for the Stooges and it would have been difficult to sustain their manic energy in a feature. For the same reason, Stan Laurel said he preferred the Laurel and Hardy shorts to their features and was reluctant to abandon two-reelers.  At least "Swing Parade of 1946" provided Curly with a better feature-length swansong than "Rockin' in the Rockies."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 12:00:04 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline metaldams

Good review of a disappointing feature that obviously wasn't conceived for Moe, Larry and Curly — the same way that "Love Happy" was never intended to be a Marx Brothers film. A "take-it-or-leave-it" musical-comedy jamboree,  Columbia shoehorned the Three Stooges into "Rockin' in the Rockies" as a last-minute substitution and gave Moe the uncharacteristic role of Shorty Williams (which might have worked if Curly and Larry weren't in the film).

I remember an interview in which Moe stated that the two-reel format was ideal for the Stooges and it would have been difficult to sustain that manic energy in a feature. For the same reason, Stan Laurel said he preferred the Laurel and Hardy shorts to the features and was reluctant to abandon two-reelers.  At least "Swing Parade of 1946" provided Curly with a better feature-length swansong than "Rockin' in the Rockies."

I’m one of those rare Marx Brothers fans who really likes LOVE HAPPY.  The Marx Brothers worked really well together but most of their funniest scenes did not involve all three or four of them together.  They were also, minor quibbles aside, in character there.

The Three Stooges could work well in different combos but were more attached together than The Marx Brothers.  Add to the fact Moe in a lot of this is not Moe and LOVE HAPPY is a masterpiece next to ROCKIN’ IN THE ROCKIES, in my opinion.

Cool tidbit about Moe’s opinion on the team in shorts versus features.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"Love Happy" gets a lot of unjustified flak, but it works as a Harpo Marx vehicle (he gets top billing for the only time in his film career).  Chico and Groucho were added solely for box-office purposes — much to the displeasure of Harpo, who contractually demanded that Groucho have no more than 10 minutes of screen time. A troubled production, "Love Happy" is better than its maligned reputation . . . and far superior to "Rockin' in the Rockies."
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 10:13:20 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline Umbrella Sam

"Love Happy" gets a lot of unjustified flak, but it works as a Harpo Marx vehicle (and he gets top billing for the only time in his film career).  Chico and Groucho were added solely for box-office purposes — much to the displeasure of Harpo, who contractually demanded that Groucho have no more than 10 minutes of screen time. A troubled production, "Love Happy" is better than its maligned reputation . . . and far superior to "Rockin' in the Rockies."

Agreed. If LOVE HAPPY had been made as a solo Harpo film as originally intended, I think it would be much more appreciated than it currently is.

Offline Kopfy2013

Been awhile since I saw 'Rockin' ... was a little disappointed if my memory does not fail me... I will watch again very soon and see ...

Where can I see 'Swing Parade of '46'? ... I am not sure if I saw this or not.

Offline metaldams

Been awhile since I saw 'Rockin' ... was a little disappointed if my memory does not fail me... I will watch again very soon and see ...

Where can I see 'Swing Parade of '46'? ... I am not sure if I saw this or not.

Yup, follow Dr. Mabuse’s link above, easily available on YouTube as it’s public domain.  I have an interesting story about SWING PARADE in my Stooge fandom history, but I’ll save it for the review.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Saw it back in 2012, I believe, whenever that Rare Treasures boxset came out--not the worst film, but far from memorable, which is why I don't have much to type. All the good & bad points already covered.

A 5/10 movie--surely there are worse ways to waste time....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Umbrella Sam

"Love Happy" gets a lot of unjustified flak, but it works as a Harpo Marx vehicle (and he gets top billing for the only time in his film career).  Chico and Groucho were added solely for box-office purposes — much to the displeasure of Harpo, who contractually demanded that Groucho have no more than 10 minutes of screen time. A troubled production, "Love Happy" is better than its maligned reputation . . . and far superior to "Rockin' in the Rockies."

I’m curious, where did you find the tidbit about Harpo demanding Groucho have little screen time? I had always thought that Groucho was too busy with his solo work and that was why his role was so small.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I’m curious, where did you find the tidbit about Harpo demanding Groucho have little screen time? I had always thought that Groucho was too busy with his solo work and that was why his role was so small.

The "Love Happy" tidbit is mentioned in Hector Arce's Groucho: The Authorized Biography (1979).

In Groucho's 1947 letter to his daughter Miriam, he described the film as a story Ben Hecht "wrote for Harpo, and finally Chico got in it, and then I suddenly found myself in it for a brief bit." Groucho's appearance turned out to be more than "a brief bit" and Harpo wanted to make certain that the role was not further expanded by producer Lester Cowan — hence the 10-minute contractual provision.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 11:33:41 PM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Matthew Coniam fills out the details in The Annotated Marx Brothers. Love Happy was conceived as a Harpo solo project so he was understandably miffed when it slowly morphed into a Marx Bros film in order to get financed. The European cut, which has become the standard version, has more than ten minutes of Groucho footage, but by that time, everyone was so disgusted with the project that no one gave a damn.
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Everyone was so disgusted with the project that no one gave a damn.

Harpo was so disgusted that he never acknowledged "Love Happy" in his 1961 autobiography.  In fact, Harpo talks little about his film work and only mentions "A Night in Casablanca" in passing as "our last picture."

Offline Umbrella Sam

Harpo was so disgusted that he never acknowledged "Love Happy" in his 1961 autobiography.  In fact, Harpo talks little about his film work and only mentions "A Night in Casablanca" in passing as "our last picture."

Harpo must not have thought much of his film work. If I recall correctly, in his autobiography he only goes into detail on the making of THE COCOANUTS and A NIGHT AT THE OPERA, and he seemed to imply that he disliked THE COCOANUTS.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Harpo must not have thought much of his film work. If I recall correctly, in his autobiography he only goes into detail on the making of THE COCOANUTS and A NIGHT AT THE OPERA, and he seemed to imply that he disliked THE COCOANUTS.

When the Marxes were shown the final cut of "The Cocoanuts," they were so appalled that they wanted to buy back the negative from Paramount and destroy it.

One gets the impression that the stooges were not the first choice for their roles  - could it be that the Larry-Curly duo was supposed to be a different team and that the part eventually played by Moe was originally cast for a leading-man-type actor?  Impossible to tell after all these years,of course, and I don't really know the Columbia Cowboy stable back then, but I might, for example, postulate that The Hoosier Hot Shots were originally intended to handle the whole comedy load, and it was discovered that, being a musical act, they were unable to handle the non-musical comedy, so the stooges were brought in at short notice and the parts sloppily rewritten to accommodate them.  Or, as I say, they filled in for a completely different cowboy comedy duo, unknown to me, and an unrelated straight-type actor.  It's fairly obvious in, for example, Time Out For Rhythm that aside from the Maha bit, which is a self-contained stooge masterpiece, that neither the writers nor the director knew much about the stooges, but they were still recognizably the stooges.  It seems to me that they're playing other peoples parts here.  The final third may have been rewritten for them because they were so lame in the first two-thirds.

Offline metaldams

One gets the impression that the stooges were not the first choice for their roles  - could it be that the Larry-Curly duo was supposed to be a different team and that the part eventually played by Moe was originally cast for a leading-man-type actor?  Impossible to tell after all these years,of course, and I don't really know the Columbia Cowboy stable back then, but I might, for example, postulate that The Hoosier Hot Shots were originally intended to handle the whole comedy load, and it was discovered that, being a musical act, they were unable to handle the non-musical comedy, so the stooges were brought in at short notice and the parts sloppily rewritten to accommodate them.  Or, as I say, they filled in for a completely different cowboy comedy duo, unknown to me, and an unrelated straight-type actor.  It's fairly obvious in, for example, Time Out For Rhythm that aside from the Maha bit, which is a self-contained stooge masterpiece, that neither the writers nor the director knew much about the stooges, but they were still recognizably the stooges.  It seems to me that they're playing other peoples parts here.  The final third may have been rewritten for them because they were so lame in the first two-thirds.

I never thought about The Stooge parts being written for someone else, or maybe they were just generically written and The Three Stooges were thrown into the role - but it’s an interesting thought and if it were true, I can certainly believe it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Hi, Metal.  It seems the site has started accepting my posts again.

Good!  I have no clue what happened on a technical level, but this site is better with your input.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"Rockin’ in the Rockies" obviously would have fared better without a diluted Three Stooges, but they are the only reason anyone watches the film today. A definite curio with one classic bit of dialogue.

Shorty Williams:  "Remember pardners, woman is the root of all evil."

Curly: "Gimme some more of that root!"

Offline metaldams

"Rockin’ in the Rockies" obviously would have fared better without a diluted Three Stooges, but they are the only reason why anyone watches the film today. A definite curio with one classic bit of dialogue.

Shorty Williams:  "Remember pardners, woman is the root of all evil."

Curly: "Gimme some more of that root!"

Best line in the movie.
- Doug Sarnecky