Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Yum Yum eat 'em up

Offline Svengarlic

I typed those 5 words on the search engine 6 months ago and was right there on You Tube watching the Little Rascal classic. I tried to watch it again today and it had been deleted, and is not available on ANY site in the USA on the web.

My question is: Isn't a film this old public domain and OK to show anywhere w/o permission of the studio that produced it?

Spanky and "Uncle George"

Offline metaldams

That would be THE KID FROM BORNEO, from 1933, and as far as I know, not in the public domain.  I'm not a copyright law expert by any means, but I remember reading ten years back any film before 1923 is public domain, which is why you see any early to mid period silent in cheap public domain copies as well as well restored prints. 

1933, though. Definitely a lot of films from then still owned by someone.

By the way, that's one of my favorite OUR GANG shorts.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Svengarlic

That would be THE KID FROM BORNEO, from 1933, and as far as I know, not in the public domain.  I'm not a copyright law expert by any means, but I remember reading ten years back any film before 1923 is public domain, which is why you see any early to mid period silent in cheap public domain copies as well as well restored prints. 

1933, though. Definitely a lot of films from then still owned by someone.

By the way, that's one of my favorite OUR GANG shorts.
I see. Then it's a question of demand. When classic films experience a resurgence in popularity they must be yanked from You Tube and other sites. I noticed that with several of my favorite old movies and shorts that I could watch anytime I wanted to 3 years age such as 7th Voyage of Sinbad and Tarzans New York adventure.

Offline JazzBill

I tried to watch it again today and it had been deleted, and is not available on ANY site in the USA on the web.
I just watched it on hulu.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Svengarlic

I just watched it on hulu.
I've been on Hulu, but it seems that everything I want to watch is only available on Hulu Plus.

Offline JazzBill

I've been on Hulu, but it seems that everything I want to watch is only available on Hulu Plus.

I watched it here. You do have to wait for some ads to play.

www.hulu.com/watch/372927
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".