Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Termites of 1938 (1938)

metaldams · 34 · 13755

Offline metaldams

I guess I'm in the minority on this one.  I just never found "Termites Of 1938" all that funny, especially for a 1930s Curly short.  Maybe it's because the "Stooges crash high society" plot has been done so much better (see: "Hoi Polloi").

#159. Termites Of 1938

Gotta say, I see this one ranked at #159 and HORSING AROUND still not ranked.  Can’t say I even remotely agree, but it does make for interesting reading.  One man’s trash is another’s treasure for sure.  Curious to see where the rest of your list goes.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

A very early Charley Chase short where people impersonate table manners of a guest.  Not as developed as The Three Stooges version, but relevant because Charley Chase produced TERMITES OF 1938.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline ebinrock

What is the name of the lovely piece of dinner music in Termites?  (NOT the music that the Stooges "play" Milli-Vanilli style in "sync" with the record player!)

Offline hiramhorwitz

What is the name of the lovely piece of dinner music in Termites?  (NOT the music that the Stooges "play" Milli-Vanilli style in "sync" with the record player!)

Per Richard Finegan's article in Journal #89:

"There are actually two tunes played, both composed by Victor Schertzinger, a multi-talented director and composer who was also accomplished at writing and producing.  Both of these Schertzinger compositions had been used in previous Columbia films.  The first tune, entitled Flirtation was heard in the features Cocktail Hour (6/5/33) and Lucky Corrigan (9/36).  The second of the two Termites of 1938 dinner music selections is called Paula and it had been previously used in the Columbia feature Two Fisted Gentleman (8/15/36) and the Columbia short Oh, What a Knight (11/22/37)."

Offline ebinrock

Per Richard Finegan's article in Journal #89:

"There are actually two tunes played, both composed by Victor Schertzinger, a multi-talented director and composer who was also accomplished at writing and producing.  Both of these Schertzinger compositions had been used in previous Columbia films.  The first tune, entitled Flirtation was heard in the features Cocktail Hour (6/5/33) and Lucky Corrigan (9/36).  The second of the two Termites of 1938 dinner music selections is called Paula and it had been previously used in the Columbia feature Two Fisted Gentleman (8/15/36) and the Columbia short Oh, What a Knight (11/22/37)."

Great, thank you!  Do you know if there are any recordings of them?

Offline hiramhorwitz

Great, thank you!  Do you know if there are any recordings of them?

I don't know, but looking into any such potential recordings surely sounds like a good research project.  I bet Rich Finegan could answer your question.  I don't believe he's still active on this site.  But who knows, maybe he'll see your question and provide a definitive answer.

Offline Samurai

I remember enjoying this one as a little kid, and even remember my sister enjoying it too (a rarity). The sight of Bess Flowers speaking to her husband after her head broke through the stairs was always gold.

I now enjoy it just as much, but for different reasons. The older I've become, the more I appreciate Stooges amongst high society...and...how the elites always devolve to Stooginess (self-sic). For this short, my favorite non-Stooge performer has barely rated a mention among the previous replies...Dorothy Granger. Her non-verbal reactions and expressions during dinner (and after) were terrific.  It's rare to see anyone (not named Oliver Norvell Hardy) show multiple emotions within a second. And, her screams whilst being pawg-swatted by Moe were equally terrific.

Moe was correct when he said, 'Sit down shorty...stuffs' here and it's mellow'.

Offline G.mariner55

This is probably my favorite Stooges shirt. So many hysterical gags.