Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Horses' Collars (1935)

metaldams · 43 · 17980

Offline Svengarlic

You know more about the issue than I, CW. BTW, I checked You Tube and the only one I saw was one 2 minute scene running backwards. LOL...what some people do with their free time.

I suppose it's worth a look though. The 2 men, 1 coat punch-out scene appears little different than normal.

Offline ccw8076

• Porcupine
  • This damn box is too short for a decent quo
Well, I am not sure of the forum rules on this subject but you can find Horses Collars on DailyMotion here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs1jxk_the-three-stooges-horses-collars-episode-5-1935_shortfilms

or you can also find it on VEOH.com. Now I'm not sure about Dailymotion but I know that Veoh is a legitimate site a la HULU and their hosting of video is not copyright infringement.
http://www.veoh.com/watch/v19302184R4bC6q8X?h1=The+Three+Stooges+-+Horses'+Collars+(1935)+

NOTE: Being that this is my third overall post on this site I apologize if the posting of the link above breaks forum rules. If so, please let me know and I will remove it.

Cheers!
"An empire truly dies when it begins to live on its memories rather than its dreams"
-Ibn al Hassan al Hajani

Offline Svengarlic

Well, I am not sure of the forum rules on this subject but you can find Horses Collars on DailyMotion here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs1jxk_the-three-stooges-horses-collars-episode-5-1935_shortfilms

or you can also find it on VEOH.com. Now I'm not sure about Dailymotion but I know that Veoh is a legitimate site a la HULU and their hosting of video is not copyright infringement.
http://www.veoh.com/watch/v19302184R4bC6q8X?h1=The+Three+Stooges+-+Horses'+Collars+(1935)+

NOTE: Being that this is my third overall post on this site I apologize if the posting of the link above breaks forum rules. If so, please let me know and I will remove it.

Cheers!
Thanks for the info on veoh. I will check it out. BTW, I'm pretty sure you can post any link you like. Nobody is forced to click on it!  ;)

Offline metaldams

Cheers!

You're fine, man.  Welcome aboard!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline ccw8076

• Porcupine
  • This damn box is too short for a decent quo
Larry's fine... I B Curley! Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.

(Sorry, I freaking HAD to) :)

Thanks, I'm glad I found this place.
"An empire truly dies when it begins to live on its memories rather than its dreams"
-Ibn al Hassan al Hajani

Offline Svengarlic

Thanks, I'm glad I found this place.
You might want to visit the General Discussion area where all kinds of topics are discussed. I'm sure you'll have much to contribute there.  ;)

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I strongly enjoy this short when I watch it.  There are some slower parts, but the rest of it is all very good.  The scene in the dark room is awesome, especially the cheese bits and accidentally safecracking the radio.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

You're right Paul, there are some slower parts, as I don't think the pacing picked up until Del Lord came along for POP GOES THE EASEL.

I just watched this with my brother and seven year old nephew a few weeks back, and my brother suggested this one because of the cheese stuff.  My nephew didn't seem to get that part (he was asking why Curly wanted cheese and reacted that way towards mice), and did find bits slow, but boy did he love the celery fight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
You're right Paul, there are some slower parts, as I don't think the pacing picked up until Del Lord came along for POP GOES THE EASEL.

I just watched this with my brother and seven year old nephew a few weeks back, and my brother suggested this one because of the cheese stuff.  My nephew didn't seem to get that part (he was asking why Curly wanted cheese and reacted that way towards mice), and did find bits slow, but boy did he love the celery fight.

The early shorts were going more for that silent comedy/vaudeville type atmosphere, complete with different sound effects or none at all.  It took a more contemporary Del Lord (young relative to the film industries big whigs of the time) to pick the pace up to what the industry needed.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Curly breaks loose in this fifth Columbia short and the results are marvelous. "Horses' Collars" has one or two slow spots, but the overall laugh content surpasses the boys' previous efforts. Casting "B-western" heavy Fred Kohler as Double Deal Decker was a nice touch. Sadly, alcoholism ended Clyde Bruckman's directorial career (his last credit was W.C. Fields' "The Man on the Flying Trapeze"), but he did a fine job on his only Stooge two-reeler.

9/10

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Another "just average" Curly short for me.

#101. Horses' Collars

Offline Samurai

I remember the young me being happy when this would air. Semi ironically, my first viewing would likely have been on WGN. Their tv side was great for kids, while the radio side was for 'old people' (like my dad). 😄

As for personally memorable minutiae, this short provides my first memory of Curly's NYC'isms, camemboit and limboiger (predating soitenly). I don't believe I've ever properly pronounced those three words since.

I also have become fixated on the radio announcers' pause between G and N. It's like he read 'radio station W-G...(turned the page)...N.

I'll conclude with my favorite. After Curly ko's Decker and Leo Willis (followed by Moe & Larry), Moe recovers and bops Curly. Curly falls backwards into a FULL headstand, and a bunch of sand spills out of his holster. I can't explain why that visual tickles me so, but it always makes me loff.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
O K , as long as I've got the floor, I'd like to ask a question:  is the "two arms in the coat" fight original with the Stooges?  It's so brilliant that I'm tempted to think it goes back to Vaudeville, where night-after-night performances would sharpen the timing to razor's edge, but I've never heard it referenced to anybody else, and I'm one of those bookworms who knows that " Who's on First " was not original with Abbott and Costello.  And again by the bye,  Fred Kohler is great as Decker, from the initial menace to the coat-fight.
You know, I've seen so many old film comedies that predate The Three Stooges, yet I can't think of a single example of the coat gag.  At the same time, I'm thinking I've had to have seen this gag before, it just seems too familiar beyond the Stooges.  Anybody have an example that will make me slap my head as to why I didn't think of it?

10 years later, but a while back, I did find at least one example that pre-dates this short: the 1933 Sennett short ROADHOUSE QUEEN, which can be seen on YouTube (courtesy of Ralph Celentano and Joseph Blough). That version involves Walter Catlett, Arthur Housman, and Richard Cramer. Felix Adler and Clyde Bruckman were two of the co-writers on that short.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

8/10, a bit slow in parts but Curly's energetic performance makes up for the film's shortcomings, I also loved the two men in coat punching scene, the celery fight scene and the opening scene, Moe and Larry also do a great job with their performances, tonight was the first time I've seen this short in over 20 years, I liked it better now than I did back when AMC ran this short back in the early 2000's.

Thanks, GC, that settles it as far as I'm concerned.  Clyde Bruckman invented it.  That was worth waiting for.

G C, thanks again for the link to Roadhouse Queen.  I watched it tonight. That does indeed look like a rough draft of the Stooges' fist fight in the coat.  And it also looks like Mack Sennett was taking full advantage of pre-code lack of rules.  Pretty funny flick.  And you and I may have set a record for the slowest pace of correspondence on this site.