Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Charley Chase Columbia shorts Vol 2 - 11/5/13

Linked Events

• Charley Chase Columbia Shorts Vol. 2 on DVD: November 05, 2013 - November 11, 2013

Offline metaldams

Well, I've watched the first four shorts and so far I've really enjoyed them.  These shorts are proof that Columbia can do more than Three Stooges slapstick type comedy.  While that style of comedy is certainly in these shorts, Charley Chase also had a situational/screwball/romantic side to his comedy that's not lost.  Chase, along with Harold Lloyd, are the two comedians who combine both styles.

I really like Peggy Stratford too, though it appears her career ended right after her last Chase short.  I also can't stress enough to Stooge fans how fun it is to watch these other Columbia shorts.  You get a lot of the same supporting casts and sets.
- Doug Sarnecky

Before we bug them for Langdon, let's bug WarnerBrothers for The Vitaphone Comedy Collection, Vol. 2 to get the remainder of those Shemp Howard shorts. [cool]

Careful what you wish for.  When Chase and Keaton went to Columbia, they were able to hold on to some of their characterization despite the cheapness of the productions.  Chase fairly well remained intact.  Keaton was still able to be the deadpan and his athleticism was still a wonder to see in his Columbias.

However with the Langdons its a different story.  There were some of Langdon's early Columbias that kept fairly intact his "elf" character.  However as time went on Langdon started making what  he called "O-Ouch-O" comedies and more accurately described as by Michael Hayde as "animated suit comedies.  Some of Langdon's later Columbias are downright horrible and bear no resemblance to his "elf" character.

Yes I would buy the disc if it comes out.
"Excuse me fellows, I have a terrible cramp!" - Schmool Horwitz, 1911

Does Bud Jamison drop the "S" bomb at 13:00 in THE BIG SQUIRT?
"Excuse me fellows, I have a terrible cramp!" - Schmool Horwitz, 1911

Offline metaldams

Does Bud Jamison drop the "S" bomb at 13:00 in THE BIG SQUIRT?

You know, I watched that short and thought I heard the same thing, yet I thought I was crazy.  I'll have to rewatch that part now!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Careful what you wish for.  When Chase and Keaton went to Columbia, they were able to hold on to some of their characterization despite the cheapness of the productions.  Chase fairly well remained intact.  Keaton was still able to be the deadpan and his athleticism was still a wonder to see in his Columbias.

However with the Langdons its a different story.  There were some of Langdon's early Columbias that kept fairly intact his "elf" character.  However as time went on Langdon started making what  he called "O-Ouch-O" comedies and more accurately described as by Michael Hayde as "animated suit comedies.  Some of Langdon's later Columbias are downright horrible and bear no resemblance to his "elf" character.

Yes I would buy the disc if it comes out.

Look either way, no matter the quality, I too would buy a set of Langdon Columbia shorts because that's two worlds I'm a fan of coming together.  I agree Charley Chase's character pretty much stayed the same at Columbia, which was a bit surprising.  As for Keaton, it's true the stone face and athleticism mostly remain in tact, but Keaton the film maker is sadly missing.  I completely expect Langdon at times to be misused at Columbia, they teamed him with El Brendel for Pete's sake, but I'm still fascinated at the idea of seeing these films.  Hopefully Sony is thinking of releasing them.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Does Bud Jamison drop the "S" bomb at 13:00 in THE BIG SQUIRT

I'm unfamiliar with this.  In which year did it come out?

Offline Paul Allen

Does Bud Jamison drop the "S" bomb at 13:00 in THE BIG SQUIRT...
I'm unfamiliar with this.  In which year did it come out?