Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Grips, Grunts, and Groans (1937)

metaldams · 38 · 17122

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Seems being a Southerner and a Stoogephile is unusual...
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline MrsMorganMorgan

• Applehead
  • I used to do toe work until I broke both ankles

We can be oddballs together since I'm the female Stooge fan.... :-*
You hear that? The old lady's a crook. Let's give her the razzle-dazzle!

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Well, as theah's no othah place around the place, ah reckon this must be the place, ah reckon! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!  [3stooges]

Offline MrsMorganMorgan

• Applehead
Well, as theah's no othah place around the place, ah reckon this must be the place, ah reckon! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!  [3stooges]

Way down south in New York City The cotton grows on the trees so pretty On the trees On the trees In the South South Brooklyn!

Offline Lefty

Hey; why live in the city if you can live somewhere worse? I live in Camden County; an armpit of the US and a blot on the butt of mankind!

Are you casting asparagus on Bucks County?  Well, there is Bristol, and Morrisville, and Doylestown Burro.

I thought the city of Camden itself was the armpit, not Camden County as a whole (hole?).  I've never had a problem in Cherry Hill.  Of course, there is the Tacony-Baloney Bridge which opened up early this morning to let a boat shoot a torpedo at Pennsauken.   [pie]

Offline metaldams

I live in Northern Delaware, and I've been to plenty of concerts in Camden.  Can't think of a more ideal setting for a Slayer show.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline MrsMorganMorgan

• Applehead
Are you casting asparagus on Bucks County?  Well, there is Bristol, and Morrisville, and Doylestown Burro.

I thought the city of Camden itself was the armpit, not Camden County as a whole (hole?).  I've never had a problem in Cherry Hill.  Of course, there is the Tacony-Baloney Bridge which opened up early this morning to let a boat shoot a torpedo at Pennsauken.   [pie]

I live down the White Horse Pike; not in Camden but I did attend Rutgers there before the waterfront became "cute". It was kill or be killed down there; I once assaulted back a thug who tried to assault me IN a college building. Several decades after that my mom bought a house in that simmering POS city and me and sibs had to get her out of there; another story for another day but that city is a huge stinking piece of sh*t and no amount of Enterprise Zone bucks or waterfront cute-ifying will fix it. I live down the WHP in an area that is now seeing its super fair share of Section 8 and government housing encroachment; big druggy apt complexes and lots of drugs and murder. So yeah; my town is in competition with Camden!

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I had some druggies for classmates, and I'm in Florida!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
One of their best shorts, that about sums it up. 10/10
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

I know a lot of stooge fans seem to have rave about what a great episode "Grips" is, unfortunately for me it was never one of the shorts I was wild about, there were some amusing moments in this short but that was about it, I always thought 1937 was one of the weaker years of the Stooge shorts considering how great the stooge shorts were from late 1935-36 and again from 1939-42

I give this short a 6/10

Offline Percy Pomeroy

Love this one. 9/10.

My favorite thing about Grips, Grunts and Groans is that it showed just how dangerous it would be to befriend the Stooges. The Stooge's have a certain charisma, so who wouldn't want to hang out with them? They seem harmless enough, right.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"If I'm gonna get beat up, I wanna get paid for it."

A partial reworking of the immortal "Punch Drunks" (1934), this Preston Black/Jack White short has plenty of wild energy along with some nice interaction between Curly and Larry. The wrestling climax is hysterical — one of the great Stooge endings. "Grips, Grunts and Groans" may lack the iconic stature of "Punch Drunks," but it's damn funny and moves at a faster pace. 

9/10
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 02:45:26 PM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Another solid short from start to finish.  Curly's energy is something to behold.

I rank this #36 overall.