Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Are the Stooges still relevant in Pop Culture?

Offline Squirrelbait

Let me start off by saying that the Stooges will always hold a special place in my heart.

However, do you feel they are still popular in this day and age amongst the general population?

If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline metaldams

Good thread idea.

I think, in America, they are the most known amongst all the old comedians because of how often they are on television.  They are never the most popular thing, but well known enough in the culture where they have staying power to keep a cult following with dorks like me.  In academic circles, they're completely ignored, that's the realm of Chaplin and Keaton.  In the UK and Europe, I get the feeling Laurel and Hardy take the place of The Three Stooges in America.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Squirrelbait

Thanks for the reply, Meltadams.

As a side note, tonight I was at Barnes and Noble to pick up my copy of Curly's biography. As I checked out, the clerk (in all seriousness) asked me, 'Oh, was this guy a comedian or something'? She looked like she was probably in her 20's or 30's, but I was still really surprised that she had no idea who Curly was. (Especially after seeing 'The Illustrated Biography Of The Superstooge' right on the cover.)

Even before I became such a big fan, I still recognized the names 'Moe, Larry and Curly.'

And in case you're wondering, no - she wasn't blonde.
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline Kopfy2013

I think you have to define relevant.

To me they are getting less and less relevant ... to late teens and early 20's they are not relevant ... 45-55 years of age they are;  25-35 relevant but less .... with more media options - cable, pay per view, roku, apple tv there are more choices to watch things, hence watching the stooges on family channel or amc etc. will not get the crowd like it did before because ones who are not fans are not aware that they are on.... years ago by channel surfing you would come upon them ... with apple tv etc. you do not even have to channel surf.
Niagara Falls