Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

For Charlie Chaplin fans - a realization

Offline metaldams

I own the 4 DVD set of Chaplin's Keystone films that Lobster released a few years back, and I just got finished watching his first film, MAKING A LIVING, a few minutes ago.  I was reading the liner notes and the shooting dates were 1/5 - 1/9 1914 and then it dawned on me...a few weeks back that was 100 years ago!  It's amazing to think we now have the technology to watch people that far back, and sure enough you can go on YouTube and watch films from the 1890's, but man, Chaplin in film has turned 100.  Crazy.  Come to think of it, WOMAN HATERS is 80 this year and SOUP TO NUTS is 84.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Allen Champion

Hello Metal!
I have that very same set and I have been using the little booklet with the release dates to actually follow along this year and watch each Chaplin Keystone on the day of their release 100 years ago!  So far I've seen MAKING A LIVING, KID AUTO RACES, MABEL'S STRANGE PREDICAMENT, and THE THIEF CATCHER.  I think this will be a fun way to celebrate the Chaplin Centennial!
And I must say, Chaplin's first films have some very Stooge-like slapstick!   :laugh:
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline metaldams

Hello Metal!
I have that very same set and I have been using the little booklet with the release dates to actually follow along this year and watch each Chaplin Keystone on the day of their release 100 years ago!  So far I've seen MAKING A LIVING, KID AUTO RACES, MABEL'S STRANGE PREDICAMENT, and THE THIEF CATCHER.  I think this will be a fun way to celebrate the Chaplin Centennial!
And I must say, Chaplin's first films have some very Stooge-like slapstick!   :laugh:

That's actually a pretty cool way to do it, watching them on the day it was released.  They made those shorts so quickly back then they average to almost one a week.

Early Chaplin, and that Keystone style in general of the mid teens, is even more extreme than the Stooges, I think.  You so much breathe out of the wrong nostril and somebody will mule kick you, then a choppily edited fight scene will start.
- Doug Sarnecky