Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Slippery Silks (1936)

metaldams · 33 · 18245

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

When I've first seen "Slippery Silks" it initially started off as one of my least favorite Stooge shorts, a few years later I've given "Slippery Silks" another chance and grew to really like the short although the fashion show scenes do tend to drag on a bit too long (despite one great scene where Moe puts a pair of scissors on both Larry & Curly's noses) but the furniture making scenes and the food fight scenes were great

Overall I give this short an 8.5/10

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Another Preston Black classic with all the Stooge requisites.  I initially found "Slippery Silks" rather uneven, but it definitely improves with repeated viewings.  The cream-puff battle makes it all worthwhile — even better than "In the Sweet Pie and Pie."

9/10

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
After so many years, I finally decided to watch this and give it a real review.

Oh, my goodness, there is too much to say.  Now, as a child, I hated the entire fashion show as I wanted to see the Stooges attacking each other with hammers.  As an adult, I appreciate the entire sequence in the "Madame de France," particularly Symona Boniface.

The Three Stooges here get their three best elements: destruction with tools, running from cops and angry people, and clashing with high society.  All elements are explored quite nicely here and keep this one running start to finish.  As opposed to some extended dance routines that are boring, the fashion show here provides opportunity for both jokes (e.g. the horse crack that Curly makes) and plot development.  We get to close the short with a classic food fight that's unique and memorable in its conclusion.  It's not perfect, but this is one is still a masterpiece.

9/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline O.U. Gonga

I just watched "Sliipery Silks" after many years. Moe liked discussing this film on one of his "Mike Douglas Show" appearances in 1973.

Thumbs up: The first real pie fight in a stooges film; full supporting performances by Vernon Dent and Symona Boniface. And the way Moe slathers on the glue!
Thumbs down: The lengthy fashion show, although it is used to show just how outrageous the Stooges designs are.

An early classic. 9/10

Offline I. Cheatam

She ran an acting school in Hollywood during the 1940s.  Moe pushed his son Paul to try some acting classes.  As someone who knew her, when talking about her, Paul has pronounced her name "Bon-ah-face".

And I think she also got Emil Sitka hired for Columbia in 1945.

Offline Samurai

My tenuous theory is still unchallenged. When the two Beatrice(s) are in the cast, a good time shall be had by all. Granted, they are extremely minor roles, but I love that mini BB once again laughs at Curly...for real (like from the backseat of the car, and reception desk of the cur).

I very much agree with Metal regarding Hilda's teiny heiny farewell (woo-woo). Too bad she didn't stick around longer. Oh wells...so long honeysuckle.

I also agree with Miss TTB that the bride wasn't exactly the belle of the balle, but the other (non-wood clad) models made up for her.

Useless observation: This has to be a record for most women hit by flying pastry in a short. Sadly, the Academy had already phased out that Oscar.

All my favorite bits from this gem have already been put forth, so I will sign off and watch Svengoolie. Ta.

Offline metaldams

I very much agree with Metal regarding Hilda's teiny heiny farewell (woo-woo). Too bad she didn't stick around longer. Oh wells...so long honeysuckle.

Yes, the humor in that shot truly does grow when one realizes it is her final Stooge shot.  Love it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

It's a delight to see Vernon Dent, the Stooges' irascible, cubical nemesis, in his first full-sized role as Mr. Morgan Morgan. But it is regrettable as well as inexplicable that he disappears from the action after punching Curly and Larry.

I watched "Slippery Silks" again last night and you are correct. Vernon Dent simply vanishes from the film after Larry accidentally punches Moe at the 14:38 mark. Twelve seconds later, Moe throws the first cream puff at Symona Boniface. Where the hell is Vernon? A continuity error I never noticed before.