Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

False Alarms (1936)

metaldams · 30 · 13426

Offline Allen Champion

FA is my favorite Stooges short.   Not saying its the best, but for me its the funniest, bar none.    And I play "Guess who this is?" with the driver whenever I'm a passenger in the back seat.   
Can I have a ride? >:D
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline Samurai

My first post (woo-woo). I just watched this last night, so a good place to begin.

This has always been a favorite. Most of the reasons have already been laid out, but any short with both Beatrice(s) is gold...I'm a sucker for the hot & nerdy look.

The two bits that will always make me laugh are Curly's hose recovering sounds, and Larry's stiff-arm to Moe's head. 

Two things not mentioned...when the boys are playing with the hose out in the street, look for the lone cop at the end of the block preventing cars from turning right. It's not often we see live traffic in the background, and I didn't recall seeing any roadblock.  Also, poor Beatrice (Maisie) getting accidentally booted in the mouth by Hercules as they exit the trunk. 

Offline metaldams

Welcome aboard and a toast to hot and nerdy.

Nice catch about live traffic.  This is pretty common in silent film, but definitely less so at Columbia and The Three Stooges, especially as the budgets got lower.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline fayremead

When the Captain says of his nice new 1936 Ford, "Boys, she is a beauty, I've been saving months for that baby" and the delivery man adds, "Yeah, take it kinda easy the first 500," we know that the car won't come through intact. But there's lots of funny stuff before it gets wrecked. When the Stooges shot street scenes in the 1930s the results were always good . . . and when a careening vehicle was involved, hilarious.

The wince-inducing moment for me had Curly's arms going through a wringer. Crush injuries from a laundry wringer were dreadful. Sometimes when the affected extremities were freed, the casualty would suffer deep shock due to release of toxins from the crushed tissues.

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Here's another one I think is slightly over-rated.  Lots of fun, but not up there with the true Curly classics, IMO.  It ranks #76 on my list.