Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooge Reading Material

Offline Squirrelbait

I've just ordered my copy of 'I Stooge To Conquer', and I've already got 'One Fine Stooge', 'Three Stooges Scrapbook', 'The Three Stooges Encyclopedia', 'The Complete Three Stooges', etc.

Years ago, I had checked out ' Curly: The Illustrated Biography Of The Superstooge' and 'Moe Howard And The Three Stooges' from the library. I've never been able to track down 'A Stroke Of Luck', and I've never seen Joe Besser's biography either.

What other Stooge books would you guys recommend? Did Shemp or Curly Joe ever have biographies?

If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline ProfessorStooge

There are a number of Stooge books out there. Here are some you might want to consider: The Three Stooges: An Illustrated History, The Stoogephile Trivia Book, The Stooge Chronicles, The Stooges' Lost Episodes, Larry: The Stooge in the Middle, and The Official Three Stooges Encyclopedia. Stroke of Luck is a rare book and can sell pretty high on eBay. Shemp and Curly Joe are the only two Stooges who have not had a book written about them.

Offline metaldams

You already have my two favorites, which are "One Fine Stooge" as the best biography and "The Complete Three Stooges" as the best book on the films themselves. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Kopfy2013

ThreeStooges.net Bibliography

Thanks for the reminder that this is out there.  It has been so long since I've read many of these books. I need to reread them so that I can rate them.

One that I particularly enjoyed, it was a little off the wall, definitely tongue-in-cheek, Was Last of the Moe Haircuts. I need to reread it and see if I enjoy it  the second time as much as the first time
Niagara Falls

Offline middlenamewayne

Don't forget about Woody Allen's take on the Stooges in his most recent short story collection Mere Anarchy. I mashed together bits and pieces of several reviews to assemble a comprehensive summary:

In This Nib For Hire, Hollywood producer E. Coli Biggs hires comes across Flanders Mealworm’s book The Hockfleisch Chronicles in a little country store. “I’d never seen a book remaindered in the kindling section before,” the producer later recalls. Nevertheless, Biggs hires Mealworm, a self-important writer who wears ‘author’s tweeds with elbow patches and Connemara cap’, to novelise a Three Stooges film.

"Emmes, kid. If this is as lucrative as my proboscis signals, there’s copious zuzim to be stockpiled", Biggs asserts. And with the hope of bagging piles of cash and giving the art of novelisation new depth and dignity, Mealworm takes on the assignment, determined to transform the broad physical comedy of Larry, Moe and Curly into an existential novel about the meaning of life and to turn the slapstick Stooges trio into absurdly angst-ridden men prone to inexplicable violence:

Calmly and for no apparent reason, the dark-haired man took the nose of the           
          bald man in his right hand and slowly twisted it in a long, counterclockwise circle.
         “We are at least free to choose”, wept Curly, the bald one. “Condemned to death
          but free to choose.” And with that Moe poked his two fingers into Curly’s eyes.
        “Oooh, oooh, oooh”, Curly wailed, “the cosmos is so devoid of any justice!” He stuck
          an unpeeled banana in Moe’s mouth and shoved it all the way in.

-- mnw

PS: I long ago transcribed the Stooge-related portions of Dave Sim's brilliant graphic novel Cerebus The Aardvark: Latter Days, along with the few Stooges magazine articles from the 50s & 60s that I've managed to find, and posted them on Usenet -- I'll try to dig around the alt.comedy.slapstick.three-stooges archives sometime and repost them here... or have I done that in this forum already?