Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

FEET FIRST (1930) with Harold LLoyd

Offline NoahYoung

Can't create a new thread in the reviews section, so...
Index doesn't show this being reviewed, but it hasn't been updated in 2 years...
Search doesn't show it has been reviewed either, but the search doesn't seem to acces the reviews board anyway...

Just a mini-review
--------------------------
Saw the complete film for the first time last night -- had only seen the climbing clip in HAROLD LLOYD'S WORLD OF COMEDY complilation film. It was the second Lloyd talkie, and the first to be planned as a talkie.

I was pleasantly surprised -- I didn't expect much before the climbing scene. I laughed out loud quite a few times. What struck me was that it felt like watching a silent film where the sound was secretly recorded. Lots of location footage (especially on the ocean liner), so it didn't feel like a claustrophobic studio-bound static early talkie. A non-Lloyd fan, or a non-old-film fan, probably wouldn't enjoy it, but I certainly did.

The dialogue seemed ad-libbed, though I'm sure it wasn't.  It just seemed very natural and not too studied.

Now I"m not saying this was the funniest picture I ever saw, or better than Lloyd silent classics -- but it was interesting  and not boring (to me). Maybe because my expectations were low.

Oh yea, the biggest surprise was a fart joke -- yes! a fart joke. You have to see (and hear) it to believe it!

https://youtu.be/RLVNnzzKojg?si=PkoJtqta9HvWrpoO&t=3855

Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz