The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

In the "Land of the Free"

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography

The NSA leaker comes forward. Hero? VIDEO: http://iroots.org/?p=16196 "...comfortable life" a salary of $200,000, girlfriend with whom he shared a home in Hawaii and family he loves. "I'm willing to sacrifice all of that because I can't in good conscience allow the US government to destroy privacy, internet freedom and basic liberties for people around the world with this massive surveillance machine they're secretly building." VIDEO: http://iroots.org/?p=16196

Please 'like' the community support page for Edward: https://www.facebook.com/IAmEdwardSnowden?ref=tn_tnmn

Offline metaldams

Here's the problem Rob - none of this shocks me.  I'd actually be surprised if the government weren't spying on phone records.

I don't think there's enough outrage by the public, mainly because a good portion of the public is apathetic to all of this.  The portion who do care have a good percentage living in partisan land.  The same Fox News crowd displaying outrage now were all for this when Bush was parading the Patriot Act, which I recall, is where this type of authority for government spying stems from.  The same MSNBC crowd who jumped on Bush for being a war monger and destroyer of civil liberties convieniently ignore their messiah Obama for perpetrating the very same crimes.

Throw on top of this the fact I had a conversation this weekend with a soldier who said nobody should find government spying a big deal if we have nothing to hide, and you know you're fucked.  I guess he didn't read the 4th amendment before taking that oath.

Call me cynical, but I think this will just be another partisan ploy to out Obama when in fact this should be so much more.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
There is a glaring problem with the so-called logic of "nobody should find government spying a big deal if we have nothing to hide."  That problem is that the politicians have literally enacted tens of thousands of laws, and in turn those have been used to create hundred of thousands - if not millions - of rules and regulations controlling nearly every minutia of our lives.  Everyone is a law-breaker, whether they know it or not.

I often find myself getting on my father's case when he starts whining about all of Obama's abuses.  Not that Obama isn't guilty of the things Dad complains about, but that Dad was perfectly fine with it when Bush was establishing the precedents that Obama has been using to finish building this police state around us.  Dad is a typical partisan - he doesn't seem to care what they are doing when it's his own gang in control.

And this didn't start with Bush, either.  This police state wasn't built overnight, or even in a decade; it really got going when Nixon (a Republican) declared his "war on drugs," and was rapidly expanded when Reagan (another Republican) accelerated the drug war and started the outright militarization of our police forces, turning them from "peace officers" into a standing army of occupation, which was completed when Bush II (yet another Republican) declared his "war of terror" (excuse me, "war on terrorism.")

The Republicans have been key players in creating the police state, but notice that none of the intervening Democratic administrations did anything to reverse or even retard those assaults on Liberty.  The "two-party" system has been a shell game to dupe the rest of us over the decades into thinking that we were dealing with opposing ideologies; reality proves it to be otherwise, which is why nothing ever really changes regardless of who is in power.  The Dems and Reps are simply two sides of the same debased, counterfeit coin.  Rival Mafia families are more honest (and pose less hazard to ordinary citizens.)

Offline metaldams

I often find myself getting on my father's case when he starts whining about all of Obama's abuses.  Not that Obama isn't guilty of the things Dad complains about, but that Dad was perfectly fine with it when Bush was establishing the precedents that Obama has been using to finish building this police state around us.  Dad is a typical partisan - he doesn't seem to care what they are doing when it's his own gang in control.

I have the EXACT same problem with my Dad.  I don't know what type of Republican your Dad is, but mine falls into every stereotype of a typical neo-con.  It's borderline comical when I visit him every Sunday when Fox News is on and Bill Kristol is on the screen.  He cannot understand my dislike for that man.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

There is a glaring problem with the so-called logic of "nobody should find government spying a big deal if we have nothing to hide."  That problem is that the politicians have literally enacted tens of thousands of laws, and in turn those have been used to create hundred of thousands - if not millions - of rules and regulations controlling nearly every minutia of our lives.  Everyone is a law-breaker, whether they know it or not.

And this didn't start with Bush, either.  This police state wasn't built overnight, or even in a decade; it really got going when Nixon (a Republican) declared his "war on drugs," and was rapidly expanded when Reagan (another Republican) accelerated the drug war and started the outright militarization of our police forces, turning them from "peace officers" into a standing army of occupation, which was completed when Bush II (yet another Republican) declared his "war of terror" (excuse me, "war on terrorism.")

The Republicans have been key players in creating the police state, but notice that none of the intervening Democratic administrations did anything to reverse or even retard those assaults on Liberty.  The "two-party" system has been a shell game to dupe the rest of us over the decades into thinking that we were dealing with opposing ideologies; reality proves it to be otherwise, which is why nothing ever really changes regardless of who is in power.  The Dems and Reps are simply two sides of the same debased, counterfeit coin.  Rival Mafia families are more honest (and pose less hazard to ordinary citizens.)

I shudder for the future of our country.  I am really worried about the country that my kids will inherit......or the country that will disinheri them from the constitution.  Scary.  Truly & verily sad and outrageous.
Specto Caelum!

Offline vomit

Throw on top of this the fact I had a conversation this weekend with a soldier who said nobody should find government spying a big deal if we have nothing to hide, and you know you're fucked.  I guess he didn't read the 4th amendment before taking that oath.

I have heard this sentiment echoed so many times, I am sick.  By all sorts of people.  Unreal.  Goodbye 4th Amendment, Goodbye Constitution, Hello Nazi America.
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

I shudder for the future of our country.  I am really worried about the country that my kids will inherit......or the country that will disinheri them from the constitution.  Scary.  Truly & verily sad and outrageous.

I worry about my nephew as well.  I wonder what type of economy or war he will inherit.  People should be more angry about this scandal than they are, but I guess people don't care about being spied on.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I have heard this sentiment echoed so many times, I am sick.  By all sorts of people.  Unreal.  Goodbye 4th Amendment, Goodbye Constitution, Hello Nazi America.

I frequently find myself flabbergasted at just how thoughtless, self-centered, and utterly clueless people have become, just over the past 40 years.  Not everyone, obviously, but it certainly seems to be a majority these days.  Politicians have so twisted and diluted the meaning of concepts like Rights that few really understand them anymore.

I had hoped to be dead before this country went totally to hell, but I'm beginning to fear that it is happening even faster than I expected.  I think we are in for a rough couple of decades.   :-\

The Commies said they'd bury us, but instead we did it to ourselves.

Offline Lefty

Some random thoughts:

1.  The biggest enemy of the United States is the Congress of the United States.   >:D
2.  The "masterminds" of the 9/11 attacks brought the Un-Patriot Act to the U.S., and are still free as the proverbial birds.
3.  The only amendments to the Constitution that matter to the politicians are the 16th and the 21st.   [censored]
4.  This country needs a group like Hogan's Heroes to beat the traitors in D.C. and other places.
5.  Mario Lemieux has some incriminating pictures of Gary Bettman.
6.  Ruben Amaro Jr., Charlie Manuel, and Rich Dubee are the Three Stooges of the Phillies, but definitely not funny or useful.