Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Uncivil Warriors (1935)

metaldams · 33 · 12207

Offline NoahYoung

10/10!!!!
One of my all-time favorite Stooges shorts -- definitely in my top 5, and perhaps even top 3. I love the outdoorsy ones rather than the later claustrophobic studio soundstage-bound ones. I love the Civil War setting -- period pieces were rare for Curly shorts. RESTLESS KNIGHTS, UNCIVIL WARBIRDS (horrible!) and a handful of Westerns (although BACK TO THE WOODS is set in Colonial times, it's sorta-kinda a Western) were the only others I can think of. (Correct me if I am wrong -- I'd have to peruse a list of all the shorts to be sure.) There were many period pieces with Shemp -- Westerns, Medieval times, pre-historic times, etc.).

I like the fact that in only their 8th Columbia short, it seems like it is a conscious change of pace, being sandwiched in between POP GOES THE EASEL and PARDON MY SCOTCH, which both seem to follow the more traditional Stooge formula. Clocking in at 19 and a half minutes, this was much longer than the average Stooges short. That's nearly 4 minutes longer than many of their shorts. I'll take 4 extra minutes of Moe, Larry, and Curly any day. It's interesting that Curly is billed on the film's poster as Jerry Howard rather than Curly. (And on-screen as Curley, which we know was done for awhile.)

Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline metaldams

10/10!!!!
One of my all-time favorite Stooges shorts -- definitely in my top 5, and perhaps even top 3. I love the outdoorsy ones rather than the later claustrophobic studio soundstage-bound ones. I love the Civil War setting -- period pieces were rare for Curly shorts. RESTLESS KNIGHTS, UNCIVIL WARBIRDS (horrible!) and a handful of Westerns (although BACK TO THE WOODS is set in Colonial times, it's sorta-kinda a Western) were the only others I can think of. (Correct me if I am wrong -- I'd have to peruse a list of all the shorts to be sure.) There were many period pieces with Shemp -- Westerns, Medieval times, pre-historic times, etc.).

I like the fact that in only their 8th Columbia short, it seems like it is a conscious change of pace, being sandwiched in between POP GOES THE EASEL and PARDON MY SCOTCH, which both seem to follow the more traditional Stooge formula. Clocking in at 19 and a half minutes, this was much longer than the average Stooges short. That's nearly 4 minutes longer than many of their shorts. I'll take 4 extra minutes of Moe, Larry, and Curly any day. It's interesting that Curly is billed on the film's poster as Jerry Howard rather than Curly. (And on-screen as Curley, which we know was done for awhile.)

The only other Curly period piece that comes to mind that you didn’t mention is THREE LITTLE PIRATES, but I think you got the others.

I think the longer shorts tended to be earlier and when the budgets were higher.  I looked it up a while back, and I remember A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN, another early one, being the longest.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

Of course, THREE LITTLE PIRATES. Maha, aha, how could I forget that one?

You think it was the budgets on why the shorts got, um, shorter? Could be. The only thing I can think of to save money on 3-4 minutes would be less footage to print for each theater. I doubt the time to shoot the film would have saved any money -- and I'm sure a lot of footage wound up on the cutting room floor.

BTW, I have never heard of or seen any Stooge out-takes. Do they exist?

Offline NoahYoung

I guess we can add MATRI-PHONY set in "Ancient Erysipelas", as another Curly period piece.

With 190 Columbia shorts, plus all the other ones, it has been hard for me to digest it all and remember them verbatim, even though I have been watching for 50+ years!
I have never considered myself a Stooge expert or authority.  :)

Offline metaldams

I guess we can add MATRI-PHONY set in "Ancient Erysipelas", as another Curly period piece.

With 190 Columbia shorts, plus all the other ones, it has been hard for me to digest it all and remember them verbatim, even though I have been watching for 50+ years!
I have never considered myself a Stooge expert or authority.  :)

Good call on MATRI-PHONY.  Never have seen any outtakes, unfortunately.

With The Stooges, there was a time I had memorized and I’m still real good, but the older I get and the more I watch other things, I notice I forget more specific details of films.  That’s actually good, it keeps things fresh.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Quite enjoyable overall and certainly MUCH better than "Uncivil War Birds."  I rank it at #75 overall.

Offline NoahYoung

It's interesting that if you search for "Uncivil Warriors", this thread doesn't show up in the results...

Anyway...

I was watching FEET FIRST with Harold Lloyd last night, the first time I had seen the complete feature -- had only seen the climbing scene before. Early in the film, Lloyd does the "Charley, the guy who walks like this" gag. I guess this is where the Stooges got it -- or perhaps someone knows of an earlier instance?

https://youtu.be/RLVNnzzKojg?si=Gdn0mjHnQzRmXquH&t=1100

Offline metaldams

It's interesting that if you search for "Uncivil Warriors", this thread doesn't show up in the results...

Anyway...

I was watching FEET FIRST with Harold Lloyd last night, the first time I had seen the complete feature -- had only seen the climbing scene before. Early in the film, Lloyd does the "Charley, the guy who walks like this" gag. I guess this is where the Stooges got it -- or perhaps someone knows of an earlier instance?

https://youtu.be/RLVNnzzKojg?si=Gdn0mjHnQzRmXquH&t=1100

I’m overdue to rewatch FEET FIRST, but Felix Adler is credited in some type of writing capacity in both films.
- Doug Sarnecky